Sad News

Pop in and ask your questions and meet friends old & new, or just have a look around. No adverts or trade links in here please

Moderator: Admin

Re: Sad News

Postby trevnhil » 27 Dec 2016 11:31

SunnyPaphos wrote:I am just about to launch a site covering Paphos and the area. It is a mix of a blog and a directory. I wasn't going to include a forum as it seemed redundant what with this site and others. However, if people are interested, it would only take a day to knock up a new forum for you to use. I already have hosting etc sorted out, so it would be zero cost at my end.

I think that would be an Excellent Idea.. If you could give it a name before this group closes that would enable us to search for it if it is not open before this one closes.

Trev..
trevnhil

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Petit Mousse » 27 Dec 2016 11:58

I have been away over Christmas so I missed this "bolt from the blue". I too will sorely miss my daily visit to C.L. which has been an incredible source of information and I wish to extend my thanks and good wishes for a long and happy "retirement" to the team behind the scenes. They will be a hard act to follow but I sincerely hope there is someone out there who is brave enough to try.
Petit Mousse

Postby Hammer » 27 Dec 2016 15:40

Hi SunnyPaphos,

Yes please do include a forum similar to CL - it is such a help and a great place to meet others.

Hammer
Hammer

Postby LouiseCastricum » 27 Dec 2016 15:54

SunnyPaphos - yes please.
Louise
LouiseCastricum

Postby Aargent » 27 Dec 2016 15:55

SunnyPaphos wrote:I am just about to launch a site covering Paphos and the area. It is a mix of a blog and a directory. I wasn't going to include a forum as it seemed redundant what with this site and others. However, if people are interested, it would only take a day to knock up a new forum for you to use. I already have hosting etc sorted out, so it would be zero cost at my end.

I am sure that a lot of CL members would be more that happy to support your effort.
Alastair

Nil Illigitimi Carborundum
Aargent

Postby SunnyPaphos » 27 Dec 2016 17:17

Ok, I am setting it up.

If I use the latest version off phpBB it will run nice with PHP7 which will mean a nice fast forum. It won't take long.
SunnyPaphos

Postby Carrot » 27 Dec 2016 17:30

SunnyPaphos wrote:Ok, I am setting it up.

If I use the latest version off phpBB it will run nice with PHP7 which will mean a nice fast forum. It won't take long.

Name of it ?
Carrot

Postby SunnyPaphos » 27 Dec 2016 17:57

I will post a link when I have secured it properly. Most forum software needs to be locked down a bit to stop hacks etc. That just means reading the post installation documentation but if I don't then somebody will be able to hack it.
SunnyPaphos

Postby Firefly » 27 Dec 2016 18:02

Yes there are other forums out there, but not a patch on CL. Even though most of us have never met, I'm sure many of feel that we have made friends of other posters.

SunnyPaphos, will the link be posted on CL before it's closure ?

Jackie
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
Firefly

Postby sunnyela » 27 Dec 2016 18:26

I too am very sad at hearing the news, this site has been invaluable in all the sections since we moved
here in 2009. My thanks to all who have made this site possible with all the hard work and time they have put
in but now time to call it a day. Thank you so much it has been very much appreciated.
sunnyela

CyprusLiving shutdown?

Postby Keo AL » 27 Dec 2016 19:13

Since the original post is now locked, I just HAD to open this new thread, sorry...

@Jim: You cannot be serious on this, m8! I'm 70 this coming Aug 2017, but spend at least 8 hours every single day of the week (including Christmas and Boxing Days) on my PCs, enhancing the Linux scripts that we use here in UK and ROI for DM500C cable and DM500S 28.2E satellite reception, keeping it all up to date on a daily basis...

Another 2 hours daily is spent doing the puzzles 'n crosswords in the i newspaper, bought Monday and Friday, usually. This all helps keep Alzeimers and suchlike at bay, Jim...

Keep it going until you croak, please! It keeps you out of Leslies' way, like it does me with Gina, LOL!

PLEASE RETHINK? ATB- AL :shock:
Keo AL

Re: CyprusLiving shutdown?

Postby trevnhil » 27 Dec 2016 19:39

I too wish there could be a last minute reprieve for CL somehow..

Trev..
trevnhil

Postby tracie » 27 Dec 2016 20:00

I admit to not posting as for medical reasons we haven't been able to fly since 2011
We had the pleasure of meeting some of you at a cyprusliving get together back in 2008 at the prince pub.
I know some photos were taken and I would love to be able to find them and save them.
Please trev can you point me in the right direction.
Very sorry that the site is closing as it was a great way of keeping up with everything when we weren't in Cyprus.
Thanks Jim for all your hard work over the years.
Much love x
Optimists are badly informed pessimists.
tracie

Postby tristan » 27 Dec 2016 20:14

Urgent request for suggestions another site so that I can keep in touch with Cyprus and Paphos in particular.

Just do a Google search Paphos forums!!!
tristan

Postby SunnyPaphos » 27 Dec 2016 20:46

Firefly wrote:Yes there are other forums out there, but not a patch on CL. Even though most of us have never met, I'm sure many of feel that we have made friends of other posters.

SunnyPaphos, will the link be posted on CL before it's closure ?

Jackie

Yes, I am just ironing out an email notification issue.
SunnyPaphos

Postby tracie » 27 Dec 2016 20:50

Please could some one help me find out where photos of a Cyprus living get together back in August 2008 would be trevhill took them, would love to be able to save them x
tracie

Postby andy01424 » 27 Dec 2016 23:04

all these yrs of being on this Forum have seen sound advice given to many,even though i never got my dream,i have enjoyed nearly every day looking in the Forum,helping with other problems if i could,Jim you done a Fantastic job of the running this forum,like many i will sorely miss it x_x

So on behalf of many :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause:

take care of yourself and your family and enjoy many yrs on the island of dreams :-bd
Hastings East Sussex
andy01424

Postby trevnhil » 28 Dec 2016 00:16

tracie wrote:Please could some one help me find out where photos of a Cyprus living get together back in August 2008 would be trevhill took them, would love to be able to save them x

The site has had some major hiccups since then and I doubt they are in the files

Trev..
trevnhil

Postby SunnyPaphos » 28 Dec 2016 01:10

Right the forum is up and running. I still need to tweak stuff but people should at least be able to register and post now. I have created a few categories but it is really down to the will of the people as to how the forum evolves.

The address is https://www.paphoslife.com/forum

You will need a valid email to register, but for the moment I have disabled admin approval of new accounts. That may change in the future depending on how things go.
SunnyPaphos

Postby Happy in Cyprus » 28 Dec 2016 01:35

Who knows, there may well be another forum in the process of being created at this very moment. Watch this space ;)
Happy in Cyprus

Postby houdinibun » 28 Dec 2016 08:04

Thank you sunnypaphos. Off to join paphoslife.com forum and look forward to lots more sage advice from you all there.

Thank yoou cyprusliving you were the first forum i joined when we were planning our move here over 2 years ago and are now 6months into our new life in Cyprus YAY x
houdinibun

Postby tracie » 28 Dec 2016 09:55

Thanks anyway trev.
All the very best
tracie

Postby kili1 » 28 Dec 2016 10:10

I know this is a very basic kind of query, but please caould someone tell me what is required to register with the new paphos life website? It is the user name which is the problem. I tried my email address and I also tried the name I use when logging in to CL ( but with a slight variation). It doesn't accept either.

Hope that someone will help me.

Thanks.

Dee
kili1

Postby SunnyPaphos » 28 Dec 2016 10:32

If anybody has any issues registering at paphoslife.com could they email me direct at [email protected]

To create an account you need to provide a name (like sunny_paphos), a valid email address, and a password.

I am off out for a while but will assist when I get back. As I said though, if you could direct issues direct to the email above rather than here, that would be appreciated.

Yes I am having problems, I have email you no answer so far..Jim
SunnyPaphos

Postby JOPLIC » 28 Dec 2016 10:41

Can I also add my thanks to all those involved in CL over the years. It has been a great source of invaluable information, a platform for meeting new friends and it will be sorely missed. Chris
JOPLIC

Location: Newcastle sometimes, Sea Caves not quite (Lower Peyia really!) often

Postby Brenmar » 28 Dec 2016 10:45

Not sure what I said, but my post has been censored to the extent that it no longer made sense, so I might as well get rid of the whole thing.

Shame!
Last edited by Brenmar on 28 Dec 2016 12:40, edited 1 time in total.
Brenmar

Postby TLR » 28 Dec 2016 10:57

Very sad to read of CL's closure, as many others have said it has been an invaluable source of information.
Many thanks Jim et al.
Trish.
TLR

Postby juliesewell » 28 Dec 2016 11:00

I registered successfully a few minutes ago with no problems...

I'm guessing no spaces allowed in the Username may be a problem for some and the encryption code is case sensitive so you must use upper or lowercase letters as displayed when requested to input it.

I'm assuming duplicate usernames will be flagged up automatically...

Happy to be able to keep in touch with you all and with those who I see have joined PP too.
Good news I can still keep contact over 2 forums.

And yes, AngloInfo have made the discussion pages /sections very difficult to use. Not been there for a long time because of that...
Jules,
Busy exploring England's green & pleasant lands since May 2016 after 12yrs in Cyprus.
Follow my photos here: http://tinyurl.com/PhotographyWeb
juliesewell

Location: Previously Ypsonas, Limassol (Mar 2004 to Apr 2016) Now: Knott End on Sea, UK

Previous

Return to General Discussion Area