Sad News

Pop in and ask your questions and meet friends old & new, or just have a look around. No adverts or trade links in here please

Moderator: Admin

Sad News

Postby kili1 » 26 Dec 2016 08:39

Jim,
I have just read your post about the closure of CL with shock and sadness. I couldn't post on your post as it was locked.
I am sure that all of us will want to thank you for the time and energy which you have spent when setting it up, and then building it up to so many sections, while moderating it all the time to keep it on the rails! But CL has become invaluable to so may of us who live in the Paphos area and beyond. It is often the quickest place to keep up with local news, ask questions, get answers and to build up ones knowledge of local events, places to shop,eat and so much more.

What will we do without it? Will anyone with the necessary 'teckie' knowledge and time to spend running it or something very similar come forward? I for one really hope so.

But thanks very much Jim for all you have done. All the best to you and Lesley.

Dee
kili1

Sad News

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Sad News

Postby cliffyamo » 26 Dec 2016 08:48

I also would like to express my sadness of hearing the news that Cyprus Living will be closing it has become a very well respected site by all nationalities that live on the island and have been helped by its information over the years!
To many such as myself it was a knowledge base for information before moving out to Cyprus, a chance to gather as much information as one could to make any move to the island a less stressful experience. It will be very much missed!
My regards to Jim and his family wishing them a Happy Christmas and New Year and to all at Cyprus Living!
Cliffy Amo.
cliffyamo

Postby Wee Stumpy » 26 Dec 2016 08:52

I have already thanked you personally but would like to post my thanks on here too!
I remember when we bought our apartment off plan in 2003 whilst we still lived in the UK and Jim was kind enough to post me pictures of the progress of the build
You will be missed!
Shelagh
Wee Stumpy

Postby cat4 » 26 Dec 2016 08:56

Hi Jim and everyone at CyprusLiving, I, too, want to say a massive thank you for all the support this site has given me over the years. It has been fantastic and I'm going to sorely miss it. I wish you and family all the best in retirement, Cat4
cat4

Postby Tallulah Savage » 26 Dec 2016 09:01

A fantastic site which will be very much missed by me, and many others. This site hs been invaluable in it's help, with so much information passed on. Thanks Jim and all the best for the future. Allan
Allan, or hey fabulous guy, I answer to both!
Tallulah Savage

Postby Blackie » 26 Dec 2016 09:02

Thank you for all your hard work and dedication
.CL is a fantastic resource and community and I wish you well for the future.
Thank you both.
Kind regards
Blackie
Blackie

Postby gogetemgirl » 26 Dec 2016 09:14

Very sad news indeed, wish you well for the future. Many thanks for all your efforts.
Anne (AKA Geoffreys).
:-t
gogetemgirl

Postby Jen » 26 Dec 2016 09:20

Jim, like many others I am shocked and sad to read your post on the closure of this wonderful site.

Over the years it has been a tremendous help to many many people.

Thank you for all you have done and I wish you and your family all the very best, take care Jim.

All the best for 2017.
Jen

Postby jenny44 » 26 Dec 2016 09:57

I just want to say a very big thank you, for all your hard work in running Cyprus Living so professionally. We moved out here 4 years ago, and gained so much from CL. We wish you a restful time, and thank you again, we have very much appreciated all you have given over the 4 years that we have been here. Thank you Jim.
jenny44

Postby lincoln » 26 Dec 2016 09:59

When I got the email, I thought I had been Hacked. So I came on to this site to check.

Sorry to hear of the closure. I really hope that perhaps someone out there with the savvy may want to take it over.

All the best Jim.
All things are possible
lincoln

Postby emgee » 26 Dec 2016 10:09

Like everyone else here, i am saddened by Jim and Baz's decision, however I do respect it. Thanks for everything and I wish you both all the very best for the future. Life won't be the same without "a message from CL" in my inbox!
:shock:
Regards

Alan
emgee

Postby Geordiehandbag » 26 Dec 2016 10:37

Very sad to hear this news this morning - CL has helped us so much with our recent move to Cyprus - you always get an answer on this forum and I shall really miss logging on everyday for a read.

Thank you to Jim and the team for all their hard work.

What are the other forums available? I've never found any quite as good as CL. X
Second to the right and then straight on till morning
Geordiehandbag

Postby Wulfrunia » 26 Dec 2016 10:44

I'd just like to join in this post to say thank you so much for all the hard work you've put in over the years and to wish you a very happy retirement. You will be remembered by so many for the help and encouragement you've provided over the years.
Wulfrunia

Postby AlanGW » 26 Dec 2016 10:54

A sad day Jim having followed you from the days of Simply Cyprus and Graham Cockcroft.
Thank you for all your hard work and best wishes for the future.
Alan
AlanGW

Postby lion » 26 Dec 2016 10:58

AlanGW wrote:A sad day Jim having followed you from the days of Simply Cyprus and Graham Cockcroft.
Thank you for all your hard work and best wishes for the future.
Alan

That brings back memories
lion

Postby Jim B » 26 Dec 2016 11:00

Hi Jim

We go back a very long way together from Cyprus Property Owners to where we are now; a lot of water under the bridge. I fully understand your decision and just wish you the very best and many thanks for both yours and Bazz's help and support over the years.
JimB
Jim B

Postby LouiseCastricum » 26 Dec 2016 11:09

A big Thank You to Jim and Baz for their years of hard work. Much appreciated and sadly missed.
Louise
LouiseCastricum

Postby jimgward » 26 Dec 2016 11:15

A very heartfelt thanks to Jim and Baz and all the contributors on this forum.

It was a godsend when we bought in Peyia and provided fantastic information on all sorts of topics. If it wasn't here, a simple post brought it in hours.

Will be a sadly missed source for many.

Thanks again.
When I die, I hope to pass away quietly in my sleep, like my Grandfather did....... not screaming like the passengers in his car......."
jimgward

Postby Dohajane » 26 Dec 2016 11:25

Very sad news.
Many thanks for this very helpful site. It will be missed.
Dohajane

Postby Road Warrior » 26 Dec 2016 11:35

Sad news indeed, the forum will be sadly missed, has become a valuable "First Stop" for information or advice on many things, not just Cyprus related.
Best wishes and thanks to Jim and Baz for all their hard work over the years.
When one door closes, another one slams in your face.......

http://moffateers.co.uk/
Road Warrior

Postby Paph-taff » 26 Dec 2016 11:40

Thanks Jim & Baz. We'll miss CL, but enjoy the rest!

Ray
Paph-taff

Postby lofos-jan » 26 Dec 2016 11:41

Like many others, I have been with the site from its original one to this one. It has very much been part of my Cyprus experience from the invaluable help and advice before and during my original move over in 2003 to the source of info it is today. A thank you to all members for the fun along the way and very best wishes Jim and Baz for the future x

Jeanne
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way
lofos-jan

Postby Al & Sue » 26 Dec 2016 11:48

I would also like to thank the owners and contributors of this site, I moved here, just over a rear ago, ad Sue has recently joined me, There is no doubt that the whole process was made easier thanks to the wealth of information available on here, and the willingness of most people to reply with useful answers very promptly. I looked at other Cyprus and Paphos forums, but settled on this as my "go to" resource. Just a thought, if no-one else can carry on the running of the site, could parts of it not be left available online as an archive resource?
...and then one day you find, ten years have got behind you, no-one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun.
Al & Sue

Postby trevnhil » 26 Dec 2016 12:03

It is indeed sad news, but of course we have to respect the decisions and reasons for the closure..
As Jim has mentioned if you have any PM's saved for whatever reason then you need to transfer them to somewhere else. perhaps cut and paste in an email to yourself.

Enjoy your retirement from the Forum Jim & Baz..

Regards from Trev n Hil..
trevnhil

Postby coggle123 » 26 Dec 2016 12:11

Morning Everyone,
Though I've only been a member for such a short time, I too am greatly saddened by it's closure, it has been an invaluable source of information for those seeking advice, full of witticisms & at times, great debate.
I too wish to thank Jim & Baz for running this wonderful site, I can only imagine how time consuming it must have been for them......Many Thanks to You Both :ymapplause:

I'd also like to extend my warmest thanks too all the members of CyprusLiving that has made this great forum what is,
& hope you all have a fantastic New Year :-bd
coggle123

Postby nova » 26 Dec 2016 12:29

Thank you for all the work and effort you`ve put into CL for all these years, so much information and help !!

Good luck for the future !!
nova

Postby Steve - SJD » 26 Dec 2016 13:21

Sorry to hear the news - as many have said the forum has been invaluable over the years
but I understand your decision. CL is part of the Cyprus furniture so to speak and will be
missed by many folks!

Cheers

Steve
Steve - SJD

Postby Firefly » 26 Dec 2016 13:26

Jim,

I was saddened by your news, but we have to respect your decision. CL was a great forum, and people have come and gone, but it was a daily read for me and I will miss it greatly.

All good wishes to you both for the future, enjoy the rest and the sunshine. Thank you for your personal help to me whilst I lived in Cyprus, it was greatly appreciated.

Jackie
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
Firefly

Postby juliesewell » 26 Dec 2016 13:30

Sometimes, you have to sit back and take stock to put your life into perspective. The time has come for the Admins to enjoy life away from the keyboard.

Many people will lose contact with each other, especially those who are not in Cyprus on a permanent basis. For that, I am very sorry....

Time for us all to move on - and the end of an era for this particular forum.
Jules,
Busy exploring England's green & pleasant lands since May 2016 after 12yrs in Cyprus.
Follow my photos here: http://tinyurl.com/PhotographyWeb
juliesewell

Location: Previously Ypsonas, Limassol (Mar 2004 to Apr 2016) Now: Knott End on Sea, UK

Postby Devil » 26 Dec 2016 13:58

Jim

Sorry to read that you are not feeling up to keeping the forum closing.

Is it not possible to find someone to take it over? A few years ago, I would have offered but at 84 and with memory problems I don't feel up to it now.

All the best for your new life of leisure.

Best regards,

Brian
Devil
Devil

Postby Tremigirl » 26 Dec 2016 14:09

Just like to say like everyone else that it is sad that you will be giving up the Cyprus Living Forum.
We have enjoyed reading everyone's comments and banter and have also found the forum very helpful in a lot of ways.
Wishing you and Baz all the best, you have worked very hard to keep the forum going over the years so enjoy your retirement from it.
Pat and Malcolm
Tremigirl

Postby Hiraeth » 26 Dec 2016 14:29

Sad news indeed......I will miss my daily read, the site has been invaluable over the years to many for information in and around the area.
All the best Jim and Baz.
Hiraeth

Postby tonee » 26 Dec 2016 14:52

Having been with the forum since day one it really will be sad not to have CyprusLiving,the info it has provided over the years has been really useful,alas I understand Jim,s decision and wish him and Baz well for the future.
tonee

Postby jagwheels » 26 Dec 2016 14:55

I can imagine how difficult it was to make this decision Jim but for the few years I moderated just one section I found it very time consuming let alone the variety of topics you have managed over so many years. Thanks for the hard work you & Baz have put in & very best wishes for the future
jagwheels

Postby Jambo Al » 26 Dec 2016 15:04

Yes Jim sad news but totally understandable, thanks for all the advice CyprusLiving has given us over the years, will be missed.

Thanks again and enjoy your retirement.

Allan.
Jambo Al

Postby ronk » 26 Dec 2016 15:05

I echo that
ronk

Postby Marya01 » 26 Dec 2016 15:09

Sorry to hear this news Jim but you deserve a rest. I pop in now and again but rarely post. Thanks for all of the updates on Cyprus.
True friendship is a knot that Angel hands have tied. When you find your Angel never let her go. WASPI Woman but happily retired since July 2016
Marya01

Postby rlbenson » 26 Dec 2016 16:18

Just wish to ditto the many appreciations already expressed here for your work, Jim and Baz, and the value this site has provided over the years. Perhaps someone can archive the site on their own server for read-only access for the coming months so it can continue to serve as an info resource until the dust finally settles?
Also, it would be valuable for me at least if other longer-term residents could list other similar forums they frequent for classified, Q&A, general info, etc. in the Paphos area? I come down several times a year and this site and the friendly community that exists here has been my main source of information when needed. So I haven't looked around so much for others. Suggestions appreciated.
~Roger

ROGER JUST DO A GOOGLE SEARCH, EASY TO FIND.
rlbenson

Postby Mike Strand » 26 Dec 2016 17:04

I too thought at first it was a hoax! Thanks to everyone who has contributed, but especially to Jim and the section admin people. It will leave a big hole in the Pafos Information circuit. I think you'll miss it Jim, but once closed it will be difficult to resurrect. Many thanks. :-h
Fight for what is right!
Mike Strand

Postby melania » 26 Dec 2016 19:15

We felt really sad to receive the email and thought it cannot be true!

Over many years we have been avid readers of CL and thoroughly enjoyed many topics and the banter between members. It will be missed as we live in the UK and own property in Chloraka and lower Peyia, it is a way of keeping in touch with the day to day news.

Jim and the team do a great job and what a shame to think it will no longer be. All the hardwork and years of commitment to CL and to close it - no volunteers to take it on??

Thank you very much for many years of help and guidance on topics.

Loved it and we wish you all the best for your 70th Jim and hope you enjoy life to the full.
melania

Postby JeffH » 26 Dec 2016 20:05

This is most certainly NOT the Xmas present I was looking forward to receiving.

But nevertheless good luck to Jim & Baz for the future, with your absence doubtless being sadly felt by all who have benefited in the past from the invaluable information posted on CL.
Jeff H
JeffH

Postby Maggie B » 26 Dec 2016 20:33

CyprusLiving and it's members kept me company when my OH used to take off to the North Sea every few weeks when we lived in Paphos.

Very sad to hear of its demise.

Enjoy your free time Jim. X
Maggie B

Postby vic 1 » 27 Dec 2016 00:17

well I for one did not see that coming but good luck Jim
now look forward to your 70th and have a rest and find something else to do

will pop in when I come over in feb then we can chew the fat and have a drink
and see how you are getting on

all the best mate and see you soon
Vic
vic 1

Postby June » 27 Dec 2016 01:54

rlbenson wrote:Just wish to ditto the many appreciations already expressed here for your work, Jim and Baz, and the value this site has provided over the years. Perhaps someone can archive the site on their own server for read-only access for the coming months so it can continue to serve as an info resource until the dust finally settles?
Also, it would be valuable for me at least if other longer-term residents could list other similar forums they frequent for classified, Q&A, general info, etc. in the Paphos area? I come down several times a year and this site and the friendly community that exists here has been my main source of information when needed. So I haven't looked around so much for others. Suggestions appreciated.
~Roger

ROGER JUST DO A GOOGLE SEARCH, EASY TO FIND.

Try this Roger

http://www.easterncyprus.com/viewforum.php?f=1

:)
Last edited by June on 27 Dec 2016 13:01, edited 1 time in total.
June
June

Postby Nigel-Howarth » 27 Dec 2016 09:08

It was very sad to learn that the forum is closing. Thank you Jim and Baz for all your hard work over the years and may you enjoy your well-earned retirement.

All the very best
Nigel Howarth
Free independent information for Cyprus property buyers.
Ask your property questions on my Cyprus Property Forum.
Read the latest news at Cyprus Property News.
Nigel-Howarth
Own Section Moderator

Postby Geordiehandbag » 27 Dec 2016 09:46

Yes its true you can 'just do a google search' to look for other forums but really we're asking for links to ones that you have used and which are worth registering with for useful information etc. 8-|
Second to the right and then straight on till morning
Geordiehandbag

Postby juliesewell » 27 Dec 2016 10:39

I know the one called Cyprus Forum used to be particularly vicious but haven't visited it for donkeys years. However, I would still recommend avoiding it!

You will get some info about Limassol on the Cyprus Eastern Forum but it is generally aimed at the eastern side of the island.

JUST GOOGLE PAPHOS FORUMS!!
Jules,
Busy exploring England's green & pleasant lands since May 2016 after 12yrs in Cyprus.
Follow my photos here: http://tinyurl.com/PhotographyWeb
juliesewell

Location: Previously Ypsonas, Limassol (Mar 2004 to Apr 2016) Now: Knott End on Sea, UK

Postby SunnyPaphos » 27 Dec 2016 10:51

I am just about to launch a site covering Paphos and the area. It is a mix of a blog and a directory. I wasn't going to include a forum as it seemed redundant what with this site and others. However, if people are interested, it would only take a day to knock up a new forum for you to use. I already have hosting etc sorted out, so it would be zero cost at my end.
SunnyPaphos

Postby lion » 27 Dec 2016 10:53

Geordiehandbag wrote:Yes its true you can 'just do a google search' to look for other forums but really we're asking for links to ones that you have used and which are worth registering with for useful information etc. 8-|

Why not Google for forums and then read the postings and make your own decision?
lion

Postby cyprusmax47 » 27 Dec 2016 11:14

Come on Sunny Paphos do it.....

With your father in the background I am quite sure it would be a place
where the ex CL members find a new and perhaps better home.

Max
cyprusmax47

Next

Return to General Discussion Area