Jimmy Hill. RIP

Sport and other activities

Jimmy Hill. RIP

Postby Memory man » 19 Dec 2015 16:01

Jimmy Hill, former footballer and broadcaster, dies aged 87

The former football player and Match Of The Day presenter Jimmy Hill has died aged 87, his agent has announced.

The Londoner, who made his name playing for Fulham in the 1950s, enjoyed a second career as a distinguished broadcaster. He died after suffering from Alzheimer’s disease for a number of years.

In a statement, his agent, Jane Morgan, said: “It is with great sadness that Bryony Hill and the children of Jimmy Hill have announced that Jimmy passed away peacefully today aged 87 after a long battle with Alzheimer’s disease. Bryony was beside him.”

Hill will be cremated at a private ceremony. A service for his friends and colleagues will be held in the new year, his agent said.

After finishing his playing career Hill managed Coventry City in the 1960s before moving into broadcasting. The current Coventry manager, Tony Mowbray, paid tribute to Hill on the club’s official website.

He said: “Everyone at the club is in a state of shock and deep sadness at hearing the news of Jimmy’s death. History tells us that without the efforts of Jimmy, both on the pitch and off it, Coventry City’s future will have been extremely different from what it is today.

“There are very few examples which can contend with the amount Jimmy achieved at the club during such a small amount of time. He was a forward-thinker and a revolutionary who was determined to take Coventry and football forwards.

“The changes he made gave the club, the city and the supporters an identity and a club they can be proud of, and for that, the club will be eternally grateful.”
ImageImage

Manners maketh man.
Memory man

Jimmy Hill. RIP

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Jimmy Hill. RIP

Postby Jim » 21 Dec 2015 13:50

I met Jimmy a few times, I was a ground steward in Coventry City's boom days, a charming man with great manners, I was very sorry to hear of his death, he did amazing things for Coventry City and football in many ways.

Jim
Site Admin

Return to Sport for all....