solar pool covers

Taking care of your pool..tips and hints..

Moderator: stephen conway

solar pool covers

Postby lansing » 28 Jan 2014 20:22

Hi folks,

looking to buy a solar panel pool cover from supplier here in Cyprus, any recommendation? The one we brought with us new from UK 3 years ago has disintegrated now.
lansing

solar pool covers

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: solar pool covers

Postby Robbie » 29 Jan 2014 09:06

Wherever you decide to buy it, make sure that it is UV stabilised, otherwise it will also disintegrate quickly.
Cheaper materials which are not UV stabilised are available but not worth buying.

I am not allowed to recommend anyone on the open forum, but you can PM me for advice.
Robbie

Postby RedWoody » 30 Jan 2014 08:17

If you want to be Happy in Cyprus, I suggest you give Lloyd a call.
Knowledge is power; fortunately I'm not ambitious!
RedWoody

Postby the golden hi-lux » 30 Jan 2014 19:01

can't recommend anyone by name as it's free advertising, but look out for the bronze ones... they might not be pretty, but they are excellent!
avoid ANY with diamond shaped bubbles... they have too little "weld" for the bubbles, and rarely last through the second season.
golden? it's more like metallic beige really
the golden hi-lux

Postby stephen conway » 31 Jan 2014 18:55

Hi Lansing.
They are very good i have one on my Pool in Cyprus,we got at least 5 years use on our last standard cover. The major and most important thing to do is always get a deluxe white Roller Storage Cover they are reinforced PVC for outdoor use,it covers your cover and roller use this every time that your cover is off your pool. I do this.

Regards Steve
stephen conway

Postby MacOCD » 16 Feb 2014 20:54

We're also wanting a new solar cover to replace our current standard cover, but our pool isn't a standard shape, it's a obtuse angled "V" at the middle. I think that a 2 part cover will probably be the easiest to take on & off.

stephen conway wrote:The major and most important thing to do is always get a deluxe white Roller Storage Cover they are reinforced PVC for outdoor use,it covers your cover and roller use this every time that your cover is off your pool. I do this.

I keep reading this but don't understand what it means. We can't actually use a single roller cover because of the shape of the pool, but potentially we could have a roller each end, but we'd definitely need the solar cover custom made. The Bronze material mentioned earlier isn't a concern, I'd rather have efficiency over pretty.

Could someone PM me also where I should be looking?

Thanks,

Mark. (Peyia)
MacOCD

Postby Brenmar » 18 Feb 2014 09:52

I think that he is referring to an outer cover that goes over the roller and the rolled up cover to keep the sun off the solar cover so that it lasts longer.

You can either pay someone to shape the cover for you or just buy one that covers the total area of the pool and cut it to size with scissors. It's quite easy to do as you just follow the bubbles to get a straight line.
Brenmar

Postby MacOCD » 19 Feb 2014 09:39

Brenmar wrote:I think that he is referring to an outer cover that goes over the roller and the rolled up cover to keep the sun off the solar cover so that it lasts longer.

I think that's probably correct, though with a V shaped pool I'd definitely need a "Roller Cover" each end.

You can either pay someone to shape the cover for you or just buy one that covers the total area of the pool and cut it to size with scissors. It's quite easy to do as you just follow the bubbles to get a straight line.

I have a lead via PM of someone to check out, I don't think it would be at all difficult to shape it myself though.

I'll do a little swotting up on the efficiency of solar covers over ones that keep the heat in efficiently over night. Surely the best time to use a heating cover is when the sun is properly out and that's when the pool will be in use most, so will not be covered.

Thanks,

Mark.
MacOCD

Postby the golden hi-lux » 19 Feb 2014 15:36

Hi, without advertising anyone, I've seen a completely new type of bubble wrap cover this week, that is new to Cyprus! the bubbles are "dog-bone" shaped, and are not sealed, so can't pop! they have a six year warranty (yes, even in Cyprus!) and are going to be around the price of the bronze covers that THEY sold last year... hope that's vague enough... check my postings if you can't work it out!)
golden? it's more like metallic beige really
the golden hi-lux

Postby stephen conway » 22 Feb 2014 17:08

Hi Golden Hi Lux
These covers are called Geo Bubble we only use these now. The Manufacturer is Plastica or Plastipak they own both companies. I have one on my swimming pool in Cyprus far better than the standard bubble cover. 600 grade is best the Geo Bubble extrusion has specifically been created to combat the attacks of UV and pool chemicals. But as said in my last post all solar covers are only as good as what you cover them with when off and on your roller.

Steve.
stephen conway

Postby Molly » 02 Oct 2015 09:40

Can someone please pm me recommendations on solar pool covers?

Molly
Molly

Postby Ian@tala » 14 Oct 2015 08:57

We also have the geobubble cover - bought in the UK and shipped with our furniture when we moved and have found it to be excellent so far. Also purchased the the reel cover at the same time to protect the bubble cover when not in use.
Ian@tala

Postby stephen conway » 16 Oct 2015 14:07

Hi Molly.
Regarding Solar Pool covers best that you invest in a GeoBubble range Apollo 400 its what I have in Cyprus, and what we sell here in our Company in the Uk. But remember Always use a Deluxe reel Protector heavy duty when your cover is on your Reel this will add years to your cover, Try Ship Shape Plastica are the Company who are UK based.
Steve.
stephen conway

Postby Molly » 16 Oct 2015 18:59

Many thanks Steve, but all sorted now........:)
Molly
Molly

Return to Swimming Pools Care & Maintenance