Carport roof

Advice and help on property matters, ask your questions here.

Moderator: Nigel-Howarth

Carport roof

Postby Party-Jane.cy » 26 Jul 2016 15:43

Hi Nigel. We have a hard standing on the side of our house for parking the car but it is in direct sunshine most of the day. What we hope to do is to have a pergola erected to support a roof merely to cover the car, the roof would be attached to the side wall of the house but the other three sides would remain completely open. We have our title deeds but don't know if we would need some sort of planning permission and whether it makes any difference what sort of roofing material it is, the choice seems to be between bitumastic felt or tiling (which is preferable). The house is on it's own plot. Your advice would be much appreciated. Thank you.
Party-Jane.cy

Carport roof

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Carport roof

Postby trevnhil » 26 Jul 2016 16:50

You could of course also go down to the planning office, and enquire there.

Trev..
trevnhil

Postby Nigel-Howarth » 26 Jul 2016 20:24

trevnhil wrote:You could of course also go down to the planning office, and enquire there.

I agree - any changes that affect the outward appearance of a property generally requires permission.

Regards,
Nigel Howarth
Free independent information for Cyprus property buyers.
Ask your property questions on my Cyprus Property Forum.
Read the latest news at Cyprus Property News.
Nigel-Howarth
Own Section Moderator

Postby kazanddave » 27 Jul 2016 06:30

Could you not try a free standing type structure. Drilling into external walls can cause damp on the interior walls around the areas where the bolts are located.
Dave
kazanddave

Postby galexinda » 27 Jul 2016 12:08

A few of our friends have put a free standing structure in place as they are renting and have found it very effective. I think they bought the frame and awning from Super Home last year. Good suggestion kazanddave.
galexinda

Postby emgee » 02 Aug 2016 21:40

Where is the planning office in Pafos please?

Alan
emgee

Postby Nigel-Howarth » 03 Aug 2016 09:51

Hi Alan

Contact details cam be found at http://www.businessincyprus.gov.cy/mcit ... rities.pdf

I think the office in Ermou Street, but I can't be sure. Best to give them a call

Regards
Nigel Howarth
Free independent information for Cyprus property buyers.
Ask your property questions on my Cyprus Property Forum.
Read the latest news at Cyprus Property News.
Nigel-Howarth
Own Section Moderator

Postby emgee » 03 Aug 2016 09:58

Thanks Nigel.

Regards

Alan
emgee

Postby Annita » 04 Aug 2016 09:22

We are also considering a carport - my concern is that if we go to planning, they will require architects drawings but we intend to build it ourselves as it will be a relatively simple structure for someone who has been in the building trade. Wouldn't have thought that they would simply accept our details of dimensions and materials to be used. Does anyone have any experience of visiting planning for something like this or have any advice?
My initial thoughts are that it would be easier to build it, then apply under the 'illegal building amnesty' which I understand allows you to add up to 20% of the buildings co-efficient and then apply retrospectively until the end of 2020. Has anyone applied for anything until this new law and can give any advice?
Annita
Annita

Postby Party-Jane.cy » 04 Aug 2016 10:33

I asked the original question and since doing so have spoken to many people either who have built one or builders that erect them. In every case I have been told that if we have title deeds then there is virtually no chance that anyone will be bothered about the build and all that have done it had heard nothing from officials. I think we will just go ahead and build it and keep our fingers crossed. Interesting what you say about the 'amnesty', had heard about it but don't know much about it.
Party-Jane.cy

Postby ferret » 21 Aug 2016 11:43

Annita--- I have deeds.--We wanted to make some changes to our walls between our neighbours. We had a wood fence but this needed replacement, and I was looking to replace with block and render, which was in keeping with my neighbours ideas. My Cypriot neighbour, without my knowledge consulted the Muktor. He turned up on my door and told me what he wanted and what he would not allow. It actually worked out OK. It was pointed out to me most peolple go through the Muktor to complain therefore if you have his consent, it is helpful, as my Cypriot neighbour said "This is better"
ferret
ferret

Postby Annita » 21 Aug 2016 12:39

Many thanks for that - I will approach our mukhtar.
Annita

Return to Nigel Howarth's Property Advice