CANS

Paphiakos Animal welfare coming events
Moderator Angela Saunders.

Moderator: Paphiakos

CANS

Postby cassiexy » 10 Jul 2012 20:42

Paphiakos are now able to resell aluminium cans - soft drinks & beer - so please, please save your cans for us. Drop them off at any of the shops or clinic, including the Bookshop in Tremithousa. Preferably squashed, but no prob if you can't do this, we will!

Sue
cassiexy

CANS

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: CANS

Postby markwoods39 » 10 Jul 2012 23:08

Ben 10 wrote:Although I accept charities have to raise funds anyway they are able,I have to question how those funds are spent and what percentage actually goes to the cause they are raised for.

OMG,the people are doing there best to help the animals in CY.... If you or other people can do better go ahead :-? I don't see the darker side helping out at all, it's easy to put a charity down ? But I don't see them trying to help ? I wonder why ? ask the master on "DARKER" side WHY ? Oh did they not give him a spot on the hot dog show ???. Anyone who try there best to help animals in CY deserve all the support thet can get, END OFF. I do get pissed off with people who moan about this charity. :roll: Now, if it was not for this charity how many animals would have died ??????????? :roll:

I would like you to see what they have to see each day and deal with ? would you cope ? don't think so. :roll: Stop moaning and help them out .

Ok let's slate this charity and see them close down ? who going to take in these poor animals in ? bet you won't nor the DARKER SIDE :-t . (-|
I haven't spoken to my wife for 18 months - I don't like to interrupt her
markwoods39

Postby rogesse » 10 Jul 2012 23:45

:ymapplause: Mark

T'other side does seem to have an axe to grinde.
rogesse

Postby Admin » 11 Jul 2012 05:55

Lets all support this good cause, it does not take much effort to take your old cans in a bag and drop them off (squashed), I shall be doing just that.

Lets please keep this in house, no need to mention you know who ... CL has and always supported this great charity and those committed to continuing their great work, well done all of you!, just ignore those who would not do so, they are not worth the mention are they!

Jim.
Admin CyprusLiving
Admin
Site Admin

Postby budegirl1 » 11 Jul 2012 05:58

You will definitely get my cans!!!!
xxxx
budegirl1

Postby trevnhil » 11 Jul 2012 06:00

Yes me too. Ours just go to waste at the moment I'm sorry to say.

Trev..
trevnhil

Postby john B » 11 Jul 2012 07:31

And ours, not just helping a good cause, but cutting down on the amazing amount that goes in the recycling bin - and use all that pent up energy squashuing the cans :D

Cheers

John B
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
~ Benjamin Franklin
john B

Postby cassiexy » 11 Jul 2012 09:02

Thanks for the positive posts and thanks to Jim for 'stickying' this post and supporting us.

Ben - just call in at Paphiakos and they will be pleased to both show you around to see the invaluable work they do and to show you their accounts. They have nothing to hide.

Sue
cassiexy

Postby andy01424 » 11 Jul 2012 11:22

john B wrote:And ours, not just helping a good cause, but cutting down on the amazing amount that goes in the recycling bin - and use all that pent up energy squashuing the cans :D

Cheers

John B

yup you can carry more to! \:D/ but do understand what Ben was saying a lot of Big Charities, a good percentage is used on Administration and small part actually goes to what its used for,Small ones like Pap's that just goes in to the pot to run the place just liek other samll run animal sanctuarys,hence why there more grateful for Volunteer help
Hastings East Sussex
andy01424

Postby Rav4man » 11 Jul 2012 11:56

What ever happened to "Cans for Kids". Used to be at the General Hospital and the UKCA.
"I have nothing to declare except my genius"
Oscar Wilde, New York Customs, Jan 1882
Rav4man

Postby ScattyAnnie » 11 Jul 2012 13:38

Do they also take normal tin cans ie dog/cat/baked bean tins?? I've been washing and squashing mine for the past 18 months to give to the scrap man (a Turkish gypsy who is VERY poor) - you'd be surprised how quickly they mount up!

If anyone does take their cans to Paphiakos, don't forget to wash them - don't want the place overrun with maggots!
ScattyAnnie

Postby cassiexy » 11 Jul 2012 17:10

Thanks for that Annie! At the moment we are only taking aluminium cans (soft drinks & beer), but we are looking into the tin cans-beans, soup, tuna, cat/dog food etc). Jacs & I feed about 30/50 feral cats between us, so we have a good supply already!I will post here as soon as we have any further info - would be great if we can raise funds from them too!!

PS - please tell your friends to save their cans for us too, the more we get, the more funds we raise,we are happy to take them at the Bookshop in Tremithousa! Jacs and I will deal with them on a regular basis, so no flies, maggots etc etc!!!! :ympray:

Sue
cassiexy

Postby rodie » 11 Jul 2012 19:51

Is it worth approaching the hotels to ask for their cans? Or have you done that already, and I'm being silly?? I can always mention it to a Cypriot friend who works in Atlantica Golden Beach......
rodie

Postby markwoods39 » 11 Jul 2012 21:15

Ben 10 wrote:I was not critisising any particular charity, just commenting on charities in general.
I will donate my tonic cans,pity gin doesn't come in them as well.

Umm, why say look at another site ?

Jim was right to edit my post and yours :roll:
I do hope you all will save your cans and pass them on to this great charity :mrgreen:
markwoods39

Postby markwoods39 » 11 Jul 2012 21:18

rodie wrote:Is it worth approaching the hotels to ask for their cans? Or have you done that already, and I'm being silly?? I can always mention it to a Cypriot friend who works in Atlantica Golden Beach......

You are not being silly, every can will help so ask your friend to save as many as he can :ymhug:
markwoods39

Postby cassiexy » 12 Jul 2012 09:54

We would appreciate collections anywhere, so if anyone knows places like hotels, bars etc who would be happy to collect for us, please let us know and we will collect from them. Thanks everyone!

Sue
cassiexy

Postby ScattyAnnie » 12 Jul 2012 17:42

In the meantime, while you can't deal with heavy tin cans ie beans, cat/dog food etc, why don't you save them up and when you have a substantial amount, take them to a scrap yeard to be weighed in - metal is metal after all?
ScattyAnnie

Postby cassiexy » 12 Jul 2012 18:16

Good idea Annie but storage is the problem. The beauty of the deal we have is that we can take them in small quantities and pickups are minimal so far, and local. We hope to know re the tin cans within a couple of weeks - time is the prob for myself & Jacs - running the shop, manning the shop sometimes - ANY VOLUNTEERS?????, sorting the rota, sorting books, doing the market, transporting clothes papers and donations to Paphiakos, banking, accounts,collecting cans,......and we thought we had retired!

Sue
cassiexy

Postby emgee » 13 Jul 2012 08:45

We support "cans for kids", they have a collection point in our wonderful village and at the UKCA car park.

I consider children more important than rescued animals even though we have four of them.

Alan
emgee

Postby Helen » 13 Jul 2012 10:31

Alan we all would agree but this is not the thread to bring that up, I'm sure the site would support any charities that also help children. Maybe you could start one off! have lived in your wonderful village. but now I live in a better one, Lemba.
Horses are for life!!
Helen

Postby Rav4man » 13 Jul 2012 12:07

As the heading of the thread is cans and "Cans for Kids" is a charity that has been in existance for some time, I cannot see where Alan has it wrong in bringing it up on this thread. I made comment about it earlier and I am pleased that 'cans for kids' is still going. Starting another collection for animals is going to reduce those for the other charity so it is a pertinent comment.
"I have nothing to declare except my genius"
Oscar Wilde, New York Customs, Jan 1882
Rav4man

Postby cassiexy » 13 Jul 2012 17:56

Alan, rav4man - Paphiakos has been in existence for 30 years, much longer than 'Cans for Kids', but so what? Everyone is entitled to support the charity of their choice and we welcome and support that. We certainly don't expect anyone to switch their allegiance if they are already collecting cans for another charity. However, we - as do other charities - suffer too when another charity opens a shop, sets up a scheme,opens a market, holds a dance, holds a dog show............the list is endless, but we accept that, it is competition and charities have always competed for funds, so nothing has changed.

This is simply an opportunity which has presented itself, so we are certainly not going to turn it away, any more than other charities would. We are simply asking for support, and everyone has the choice of doing that, or continuing to support their charity of choice. We wouldn't have it any other way.

Sue
cassiexy

Postby Jim » 14 Jul 2012 05:24

The point of this is this thread is to raise some money for a much needed charity, elsewhere on CL we have been covering the ''cans for kids'' for years, also it must be remembered CL tries to help as many charities as possible including ''friends hospice'' and the ''liver association'' plus other local charities, we would lock and hold any post from those charities that ask us to do so, with no problems at all, this thread is in aid of Paphiakos and posting on this should be about this please.

Why there should open criticism I really do not understand.

So can we just please support this... thank you!
Jim
Site Admin

Postby suefromswansea » 14 Jul 2012 10:52

I was on Corallia beach yesterday and noticed that the rubbish bins by all the steps / shop etc were full of empty drink cans and was wondering about asking the lads if they would / could put them in a seperate bag or bin... I didn't go rummaging down the bins as I thought I might get some funny looks - but next time I go I will ask as there must be hundreds of cans getting chucked out everyday there.... Don't think the boys would have time to sort them out tho... hmmm... :-?
"In the end only kindness matters" Jim Garnett
suefromswansea

Postby cassiexy » 14 Jul 2012 15:40

Lifesabeach - "But 'Cans for kids' has been running a lot longer than 'Cans for Paphiakos' has it not?

It's a shame that the charities vie for competition but, as usual, in Cyprus, if there's a good idea, others jump on it!"

As I said in my previous post, any event, scheme, idea which a charity adopts is bound to have been covered at some point by another charity, but, to repeat myself - so what? Paphiakos has been nudged out of many such events by other charities, it's called competition and happens the world over. What I can say is that the organisation which put this idea to us was not in any way connected to any other charity and they will be, along with the Paphiakos tea rooms, our main sources of cans. So I fail to see how this is harming or detracting from any other charity. But even if it was - so what? The whole of life is a competition, we are not aware of tapping into any sources already covered by Cans for Kids, but if we are, then sorry it's life I'm afraid. We are in no way jumping on Cans for Kids idea, we were approached by a legitimate organisation who have a surplus of cans and asked us if we could sell them to raise funds for Paphiakos. We looked into it, sourced a buyer - again nothing whatsoever to do with Cans for Kids as far as we know - and off we went. There are actually many, many other people in Paphos, other than Cans for Kids, collecting cans for cash. Why should it be a problem if Paphiakos does the same?

People will always support the charity of their choice, and we have no problem with that. We are not asking anyone to cease supporting the charity of their choice, but we do know from our research that there are many, many people and organisations who simply put their cans into the bin. We are simply asking them to give their cans to us. What is the problem with that?

As Jim says, CL supports and promotes many, many charities - thankfully :-bd and this thread is simply in support of one of them, Paphiakos. We are certainly very appreciative of this.

Sue
cassiexy

Postby rodie » 14 Jul 2012 21:09

What a shame that a charity is now having to defend itself on this site, just for daring to ask for support. I find this upsetting and very annoying.

I was not aware that a charity had to consider the views of CL members regarding the merits of children versus animals before they felt they could notify members of a new way of raising money.

Not everybody likes children. Perhaps you would now like to jump down my throat instead, for daring to say that. I support charities that help the helpless. That should be enough.
rodie

Postby Jim » 15 Jul 2012 05:09

Rodie simply it doesn't, CL has always supported this charity along with others, Paphakos has nothing to defend, they do a fantastic job doing something that needs to be done and without them animals in Pafos and beyond would suffer immeasurably, my advise to members who feel that we should not continue to support Paphiakos is do not post replies just move on to other topics on the site, as simple as that really.
Jim
Site Admin

Postby rodie » 15 Jul 2012 20:02

Thanks Jim, don't worry I know CL is fair in this respect!

I was directing my comments more towards a couple of posters who did not seem happy to see a charity using cans as a way to raise money, as they felt children more important. I was sad that Paphiakos felt they had to justify their request for cans, that's all.
rodie

Postby markwoods39 » 15 Jul 2012 20:30

I went to a supermarket today in Spain "Nerja" there was a few people at the end of the tills willing to pack your bags for you from a animal charity,what a great idea I thought. I only had a few bits, they did asked if I need help packing ! I said no thank you, but still gave them 10€.Could this work in CY "IF" you can get the big supermarkets on your side. I did have a look in her bucket when I popped my 10€ in as you do :lol: , it seem a fair bit was raised from this lady alone. :-bd have to say I never saw any notes just change :p but every bits helps. :-bd
markwoods39

Postby amber » 15 Jul 2012 21:09

I like to support as many charities as possible, and feel that any items such as cans or newspapers are put to far better use by just dropping them off at various charity shops than putting them in the bin. I buy many clothing items at charity shops and then recycle them by taking them back the following year. I just load the items in the back of my car and drop them off at whichever charity shop is on my route
non sibi sed omnibus
amber

Postby Jim B » 16 Jul 2012 07:23

rodie wrote:What a shame that a charity is now having to defend itself on this site, just for daring to ask for support. I find this upsetting and very annoying.

I was not aware that a charity had to consider the views of CL members regarding the merits of children versus animals before they felt they could notify members of a new way of raising money.

Not everybody likes children. Perhaps you would now like to jump down my throat instead, for daring to say that. I support charities that help the helpless. That should be enough.

Neither does everybody like animals.

Jim B
JimB
Jim B

Postby Maramike » 18 Jul 2012 14:33

Until I saw this posting I was putting mine, crushed, into the various recycling bins. These bins seem well used so the 'recycle' message must be getting through. Judging by the quantity of cans in the recycling bins though it would make quite an impact if these were diverted instead to the charity collection points mentioned on this forum. Any way of publishing this at the recycling sites, or would this anger whoever profits from collection from them?
Maramike

Postby mollie » 20 Jul 2012 21:48

Everyone's different - some veer towards animal charities (like me :D ) and others towards human charities. The way I see it is that if some of us support our animal population, and some support the human population, then all angles are covered and everyone's happy. Much as I think it is important to ensure that humans are cared about, I think animals charities get less support - animals and pets play a fantastic part in people's lives (look at those dogs who have been out in Afghanistan, Guide Dogs for the Blind, Hearing Dogs etc etc) and I think it's vital that we look after them. My two beautiful labradors are rescue dogs and the amount of love and pleasure I get from them is priceless :) :)

If I lived over there, I'd start drinking canned drinks - just to help :)) :))
mollie

Postby Jim » 21 Jul 2012 07:13

CL has always supported both, it is up to the individual charities concerned to contact us for even stronger support, this we usually try to do.
Jim
Site Admin

Postby suefromswansea » 21 Jul 2012 14:39

Out walking the dogs this am and managed to fill a carrier bag just with empty cans lying around! Also put a notice up in well - known cafe / meeting point in Letymbou and they are going to save cans for me, - they probably can fill a bin bag every day.... think it's def worth asking around! Still bugs me all the cans thrown in the rubbish bins at Corallia, was there again yesterday.... seems such a shame.... :(
suefromswansea

Postby cassiexy » 21 Jul 2012 21:53

Paphiakos are recycling cans to sustain tourism by helping the environment and animal welfare. By collecting all your unwanted cans and metal, you will be raising funds for the rescue animals of Cyprus. Please deliver them (squashed preferably) to our Paphiakos clinic, Tremithousa book shop , Polis or Peyia Charity shops.'

Just to pick up on a few comments -

Markswoods - not sure of the viability here, but we will certainly look into it!

Amber - you're a true recycler (is that a word??) well done! We need more of you!

Maramike - we are setting up posters as we speak, the least we can do is try! Thanks for the suggestion!

Ben10 - we're not into castigation! Nor are we into comparisons. We are just delighted that people are helping charities - human, animal, we don't mind. Just follow your heart! But if you have cans to spare we will be glad of them!

Mollie - we wish you were here to increase our can collections! But like you, we're happy for people to support the charity of their choice.

Jim - many thanks as ever for your continued support for the fantastic work done by Christine and all her staff, volunteers, helpers and supporters!

Sue - you're a star! What about it all you dog-walkers - pick up the cans along the way, help to sustain the environment and help the unwanted animals of Paphos at the same time!!!!Just drop them at the Bookshop, or any of the Paphiakos shops, tea rooms etc. Very good to hear about the Letymbou cafe - we do have some shop volunteers living up there, so if cans need picking up it could probably be arranged, just let us know! Would love to tap into the Coral Bay/ Corallia bins, but manpower is our problem, we are already stretched to the limit! If anyone could help by arranging the collection of cans in either of these places and the collection of cans from these areas on a regular basis - storage and transportation are always the problem - then please let us know!!!! We really need help on this one - so many sources of cans which are currently being 'dumped' which could help both the environment and animal welfare here, but we can't stretch ourselves much thinner! We need people to help organise these collections and pickups!

We are overwhelmed by the response from so many people! :-bd Resources are as ever the problem! So - if anyone can help with either collections or transportation to any of the shops/tea rooms etc it would be heartily accepted!

We have the offer of the collection of cans from a very busy cafe in Latchi. Could anyone collect and transport cans from that area down to Paphos or to Tremithousa on a regular basis?????

Thank you all for your support - whether it be for Paphiakos or another charity in Cyprus. We all desperately need your contributions!

Sue
cassiexy

Postby Maramike » 22 Jul 2012 12:34

cassiexy
Just another thought that has probably already been covered. There are huge quantities of cans thrown onto the roadsides. Periodically the various local authorities do a rubbish clear up and fill large numbers of bin bags. I have never seen cans being put into seperate bags, so they could well end up in landfill etc. Is there any way of maybe providing distinctive bags for the authorities to use for cans? The potential quantity would be enormous.
Maramike

Postby Pippin » 28 Jul 2012 18:23

We don't drink canned drinks but I will be more than happy to rinse and save other cans, such as baked beans, etc etc once you are able to take them.
I often pop into the Tremithousa bookshop for a few books so can drop cans off at the same time.
Pippin

Postby suefromswansea » 29 Jul 2012 22:10

Got hubbie to drop me off at the top of the hill into our village and walked down with the dogs this eve... managed to fill two carrier bags full of cans from the roadside! I know that I looked like a 'bag lady, and had some strange glances from passing traffic :-o
Also at our village quiz last night the cans were all collected and filled a bin bag, so - in the famous words of a supermarket chain, " every little helps". Now I've started collecting the cans I see them everywhere!!
suefromswansea

Postby markwoods39 » 29 Jul 2012 22:23

suefromswansea wrote:Got hubbie to drop me off at the top of the hill into our village and walked down with the dogs this eve... managed to fill two carrier bags full of cans from the roadside! I know that I looked like a 'bag lady, and had some strange glances from passing traffic :-o
Also at our village quiz last night the cans were all collected and filled a bin bag, so - in the famous words of a supermarket chain, " every little helps". Now I've started collecting the cans I see them everywhere!!

I would do the same Sue,no matter how people look at me :mrgreen: BAG MAN, I don't care !! I would still do it :mrgreen: :-bd
markwoods39

Postby auntiemo » 30 May 2013 17:01

Is there still a collection point for aluminium cans where the Saturday car boot is/was? Haven't been here for quite awhile.
Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we're here we should dance.
auntiemo

Return to Paphiakos Animal welfare coming events