Johns wonderful donation to Friends Hospice.

A section for appeals and charitable events.

Moderator: Admin

Postby Jim » 24 Feb 2011 07:46

John was a near neighbor to us and a very kind and gentle man, sadly he passed away recently, I do wish I had got to know him better than I did, he lived alone next door but one to us and it was very kind of two CL members to let me know about this wonderful donation from Johns estate, they have purchased Johns old home and I am sure they will be very happy there.

***************************************************************************************************************

from the Cyprus Mail..

THE Friends Hospice in Paphos has been left a legacy of more than 66 thousand euros by a former patient.

John Henry Howell donated the money in his will in recognition of the palliative and respite care he had received from the hospice in the months leading up to his death last May, aged 71.

According to the hospice president Chris Jones, Howell, a former officer in the British armed forces, was very popular with the staff.

John made a very strong impression on the staff, Mr Jones said. He will be fondly remembered as a gracious man, as well as for his generosity towards the hospice.

Howell’s lawyer Penelope Athinodorou Mantis handed over a cheque for €66,105 to the facility last week.

The hospice is a non profit organisation solely run by donations, fundraising and other contributions, and Howell’s sizeable donation will cover 54 days’ worth of running costs.

We are, of course, extremely grateful for all donations, said Jones. This is a particularly large one and will be a great help to us in achieving our objectives this year.

According to his lawyer, the ex-para was a single man with no immediate family and had stayed at the hospice receiving symptom control and respite care several times. She said Howell wanted to leave part of his estate to the hospice to help them continue to provide palliative care for the terminally ill in the Paphos region.

He is described by friends as an active man, and after retiring to Cyprus he continued to teach, making use of his Masters degree in education.

Mr Howell had a great love of the outdoors and was registered as an exercise professional. His passion was Nordic Walking and he became the first Cyprus Nordic Walking Instructor at the age of 70.

According to the hospice, the funding target for 2011 is particularly challenging standing at €450,000.

The hospice is situated in a dedicated wing of the Evangelismos hospital in Paphos and has a team of fully qualified medical and nursing staff. It started out with just one bed in April 2006, and since then has cared for more than 450 patients.

The hospice provides palliative and respite care for patients from all over Cyprus with life limiting illnesses and their families.

According to the hospice the demand for palliative care is ever increasing and two additional beds have just been opened. This brings the number of operational beds to six, and a seventh is planned for the near future.

We have been very fortunate that families and friends of patients and the wider public continue to make donations for which we are very grateful,a hospice spokesman said. However, it is a large task to fund the hospice and we are constantly seeking new ways to raise funds.

In particular, the hospice is hoping to target the corporate sector.

If you are interested in becoming a volunteer please contact the following: nursing volunteers Ann Hill 26-643066, shop and other volunteers Frank Chapman 99-076712
Last edited by Jim on 04 Apr 2011 06:11, edited 1 time in total.
Jim
Site Admin

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby trollydolly » 24 Feb 2011 14:34

Jim now thats what you call a true gent. What a great gift. Marj
trollydolly

Johns wonderful donation to the Friends Hospice

Postby uptown girl » 25 Feb 2011 00:33

Jim,
I know how wonderful these doctors and nurses are to the patient and the
family/friends of the patient, my partner ( as you will remember ) died in there, there are no words to describe their care to all.
I'm not surprised this ex para left his money to them.
:)
uptown girl

Postby Horizon » 12 May 2011 15:31

Marvellous news and very generous indeed.

As well as a direct legacy such as this gentleman's donation, it is possible to create a trust. The property is effectively given to a charity unsold, they then could lease it out until the time comes that the property market is re invigorated and then sell it.
Anything posted on this forum is for discussion purposes only. It should not be considered financial advice. Different people have different needs and what is right for one person may be different for another.
Horizon

Return to Appeals & Charitable events.