CYTA Router

Digby's Internet problems and advice, regarding all aspects of life on the Internet..

Moderator: holitec

CYTA Router

Postby harveywinning » 07 Aug 2014 17:26

I have a bog standard CYTA router and have had various issues with it. Would it be better to buy a new one from someone else (not CYTA) ? Would they be compatible ? Are any routers better, faster than CYTA ? Sorry I am not very tech savvy in such matters
harveywinning

CYTA Router

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: CYTA Router

Postby geoffreys » 08 Aug 2014 05:58

As far as I know CYTA insist you use their router, as supplied, on their line.
Maybe you should consider switching provider if you are not happy with CYTA, or why not go speak to them first about it?
I have always found CYTA staff very helpful.
Geoff.
geoffreys

Postby lion » 08 Aug 2014 09:31

Ask Cyta to give you one of the new Zytel ones

I have been told that all the old routers will be changed in the near future
Last edited by lion on 08 Aug 2014 12:34, edited 1 time in total.
lion

Postby BigDutch#2 » 08 Aug 2014 11:30

I have the CYTA kit (Thomson) running purely in 'modem' mode, and all the 'routing' capabilities are handled by my own T-Link router
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
My opinion; worth price charged.
BigDutch#2

Postby Jim » 12 Aug 2014 09:09

CYTA cannot demand you use their routers, personally I have no problems with the second hand CYTA Thomson router they gave me, works Wi-Fi to all my rooms comfortably, although my MagTV is hard wired from the router, this works best I have found.

I have a couple of Samsung 10.1 Galaxy Notes both work great in any room by Wi-Fi..via the Thomson.
Jim
Site Admin

Postby lion » 12 Aug 2014 10:05

Jim wrote:CYTA cannot demand you use their routers,

Of course they can, they just put a clause in the terms and condition of service.

No they don't and again you do not need to use there routers, how am I posting this? Jim
lion

Postby geoffreys » 12 Aug 2014 13:52

And if you check your CYTA contract I think you will find that is indeed the case.
Although easy to access, the standard CYTA router (Thomson) cannot be programmed with a VPN., although DNS
settings can be altered.
I use a secondary router (by Cisco/Linksys) which also has wireless; I just disable the wireless function on the CYTA router to avoid wireless conflict.
Geoff.

Your supposed to have a BBC TV licence, bet you don't, my router works perfectly as does the one CYTA gave me, a cheap Thomson..my Buffalo on the other hand is far faster. I do have a VPN I use on all my devices using the Thomson, cheap as chips works great!! (Private Internet Access)

geoffreys

Postby BigDutch#2 » 12 Aug 2014 15:36

If you flip the CYTA supplied device into bridge mode then the second router product will receive the IP address allocation from CYTA, effectively the CYTA device is transparent and all the services from your own router will work properly.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
My opinion; worth price charged.
BigDutch#2

Return to Internet problems and advice