Alternatives to NTV

Problems and questions on all available satellite systems, IPTV's, gadgets and other electronics ...

Alternatives to NTV

Postby Taurus » 11 Sep 2016 12:18

I presently receive NTV through a MAG254 but am not overjoyed with their service. Does anyone know of a good alternative (via a MAG) that offers a 14-day catch-up facility?

Peter
Taurus

Alternatives to NTV

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Alternatives to NTV

Postby lion » 11 Sep 2016 13:10

If you do a search of the forum this has been asked and answered recently
lion

Postby deegee » 11 Sep 2016 16:32

http://www.tellyconnect.co.uk/Mobile/MBSCCatalog.asp

I'll repeatnthis one thenwww.tellyconnect.co.uk/Mobile/MBSCCatalog.asp.Settled on these after trying many providers via theirnfree trial periods,plus a couple for just a month.Found telly connect the most stable and helpful.Payable monthlynif you wish
deegee

Postby Happy in Cyprus » 11 Sep 2016 17:37

I moved from NTV a month or two back, probably for the same reasons as you. But I jumped out of the frying pan into the fire and went to a provider (Mbox) who were ten times worse than NTV. In the end I took site owner Jim's advice and went to Sensible Satellites. Speak to Simon on 99 182461 or 99 386274. Simon will come to your house to reprogramme your Mag box and give you an amazing service. Although I think he said 7 day catch-up, am sure we get 14 days. Hundreds of channels and thousands of up-to-date movies. Barely a moments hestitation in the service ever...and great picture quality. Cost €250 pa payable in advance. Can highly recommend.
Happy in Cyprus

Postby keving » 11 Sep 2016 17:42

It would be good to hear of some other solid recommendations ... but particularly where you only pay one month at a time ... as this would suit my circumstances, only coming out to Cyprus 6 times a year
keving

Postby mdean2805 » 13 Sep 2016 23:15

I use UKTVFrance. They seem to offer a similar service to the rest and do a monthly switch on and switch off service. The only time i did have a problem it was sorted within an hour.
Mike
mdean2805

Postby holitec » 14 Sep 2016 16:34

I have been testing UKTVFrance for a while now, and it is stable, good picture quality, good vod selection. I did notice a small issue with one of the channels, James sorted it. We are now agents, so you can pop into either shop to sign up. It is switch on/off but in monthly chunks.

Digby
holitec
Own Section Moderator

Postby malsue » 18 Sep 2016 11:01

I took 'Happy in Cyprus's' advice and Simon installed his system for me last Wednesday, Brilliant not a TV picture disturbance with his system since he installed, no problems at all, another very satisfied customer + bonus over €100 a year cheaper !!!!

I have been with NTV for over 3 and Half years !!!!!!!!!!
Mal
malsue

Postby Happy in Cyprus » 18 Sep 2016 17:35

Excellents news Mal. Daughter and son-in-law switched to Simon too and are pleased. Simon was telling me that he's now pulling one new ex-NTV customer a day. Actually, it is a 7-day catch-up, not 14. But fast-forwarding through the adverts on catch-up is a cinch, wheras it could sometimes be problematic with NTV.
Happy in Cyprus

Postby togolosh » 13 Nov 2016 17:04

Hi, I'm looking for a possible alternative iptv service provider for my MAG256. Ideally, I'd like the service to have a full channel EPG (akin to that available with sky or freesat in the uk, not the 'standard' one typically seen on MAG portals). If anyone knows of a service available in Cyprus that has such an EPG, a recommendation via PM would be much appreciated. Thank you.
togolosh

Postby Happy in Cyprus » 15 Nov 2016 00:46

Looks like NTV might be upping their game at last: received the email below this evening. However won't be switching back, as our current provider provides an absolutely faultless service for one third less than NTV.

"...we have some great news for you!

We have completely reworked our video recording system, and are proud to introduce the new improved version. During the maintenance today, middleware for MAG set-top boxes was also updated, enabling support of all the newer MAG models.

The biggest archive upgrades are:
Redundancy - multiple feeds recorded per channel, ensuring that every channel will be recorded even if some sources are down
Balancing - recorded feeds will play more smoothly during high network load, and you will be watching from a server most optimal for your physical location
Monitoring - if recording fails even with redundancy added, it will be resumed automatically within seconds
Once the beta is over (in a few weeks), video archive will be available on all platforms – Web, Kodi, and Matrix TV Browser, in addition to MAG boxes".
Happy in Cyprus

Postby tony23 » 11 Dec 2016 16:19

Sounds wonderful, Lloyd. Problem is they are making a total pig's ear of it and their current service is next to useless. They are even now avoiding answering their online chat as I can only think they are inundated. Unfortunately, I have paid in advance for a better rate so don't feel inclined to throw that away. However, I shall be following in your footsteps as soon as is reasonable. I trust you are still satisfied with your current provider?
I'd be unstoppable if I could only get started.
tony23

Postby Happy in Cyprus » 11 Dec 2016 17:47

Absolutely, Tony! Fabulous picture quality all evening, every evening, without fail. The HD channels are superb, with catch-up in HD. Only slight niggle is that it's only 7 day catch-up, but we can live with that. They blow NTV out of the water in terms of quality and we now pay around one third less. I haven't had to re-set my Mag box - or the CYTA box come to that - for months. With NTV that used to be like a weekly/fortnightly occurrence.

With this company you have to pay a year in advance, but that suits me because it saves updating the subscription each month. Incidentally, the quality of the on-demand movies is also superb. Would never now go back to NTV.
Happy in Cyprus

Postby MacManiac » 11 Dec 2016 20:35

This IPTV business is fraught with problems, and so many people tell you that their provider is "the bees' knees". I've been guilty of this in the past as Lloyd knows. I was a strong supporter of NTV until their service went down and down and down. I found Mbox and initially that was fantastic, and I extolled their virtues on this and other forums. Unfortunately their service to MAG boxes was less than satisfactory, and caused all sorts of problems. I was paying them £17 a month, which included a fortnight's catchup.

Their service then declined (the dreaded maintenance on the servers excuse) and I left them. They now charge an extra £10 a month for catchup, taking their monthly charge up to £27 a month, with another £4/£5 a month for 4K catchup. Too expensive and a sketchy service in the recent past.

I researched and decided to go with a provider who has been around for about five years. No catchup (except for sports, where there is six months catchup on all of sports) but many of the 300+ channels are in 1080 or 720 HD. The cost is £25 for three months (£75 a year). We've been with them for four months, and I am very, very happy with the service. Some boxing match failed to stream satisfactorily this weekend (not an interest for me) and everyone was automatically credited with an extra month.

So I'm happy for Lloyd and all the others who have found streams that work. We love our service and I'm just not prepared to pay for a year in advance for a service, no matter how good.
Our Cyprus Dream

Perfer et obdura; dolor hic tibi proderit olim.

Be patient and tough; some day this pain will be useful to you. (Ovid)
MacManiac

Postby Happy in Cyprus » 11 Dec 2016 23:55

MM, I didinitially had reservations paying a year up-front for my new provider; but I was reassured because I have known the individual who acts as an agent for this iptv provider for over 10 years. He goes back to Sky days. I was also reassured than Jim has been using this provider quite happily for a year or two.

Everything in life carries risk - as I found out by subscribing to MTV :( - but this service works flawlessly all the time...and of the three iptv providers we have used over the years, this one is far and away the best.
Happy in Cyprus

Postby gogetemgirl » 12 Dec 2016 07:03

Happy in Cyprus wrote:MM, I didinitially had reservations paying a year up-front for my new provider; but I was reassured because I have known the individual who acts as an agent for this iptv provider for over 10 years. He goes back to Sky days. I was also reassured than Jim has been using this provider quite happily for a year or two.

Everything in life carries risk - as I found out by subscribing to MTV :( - but this service works flawlessly all the time...and of the three iptv providers we have used over the years, this one is far and away the best.

Which IPTV provider are you using now?
Thanks,

The service provider I recomended to Lloyd, Simon at Sensible satellites 99386274...Jim
gogetemgirl

Postby alexchry » 12 Dec 2016 15:55

Computer SOS provide a system which is virtually identical to the one Simon provides, the one I believe 'happy' uses, and is available for shorter periods than one year. The systems clearly come from the same origin, have identical VOD and almost the same channels. For a sports fan, particularly football, Simon's system has explicit sports channels including some for the EPL whereas on the Computer SOS system you have to look on channel 999 for sports info which shows which channels are showing football and other sports. Of course, both systems have the usual Sky Sports channels. I haven't been able to detect any difference in performance between the two systems so far (a few months) but if I was happy to sign up for a year, as a football fan I'd probably go for Simon's system otherwise the Computer SOS system.
Like 'happy' I tried mbox and, initially, I was very happy with it. The menu system was unwieldy but the quality was excellent and catch-up went back at least a couple of months. Unfortunately, it became very unreliable which is why I added Simon's system some time ago. However mbox has a new menu system based on the old structure but pleasanter to use and seems much more reliable. Catch-up is a paid-for extra which I've added. The quality is superb, more HD channels than Simon's system, particularly sports. There are lots of box sets and films, more recent than Simon's system and without subtitles although these can often be turned off. At the moment, this is the system I prefer to use but I want a longer time with it to be sure it's now got the reliability of the other two systems.
I have used NTV in the past and recently trialed it again but I won't be bothering any more as it costs more than the other systems and isn't as good. I have another system on trial at the moment, it has the merit of being cheap but too unreliable to recommend.
alexchry

Postby MacManiac » 12 Dec 2016 16:46

With a combination of problems relating to CYTA and to the vagaries of IPTV, no system is going to be perfect. The best we can hope for is for things to work well most of the time. I suspect many of us have got used to watching in HD (720 or 1080) and find that the SD picture (which we were all satisfied with a few years ago) is lacking.

Live television is far more problematic to stream than films or box sets of television series as they have been packaged more efficiently than live programmes. The number of providers who disappear overnight, no matter how long they have been operating, is legion. Hence my reluctance to pay for a year upfront. However I have recently paid for a three month subscription, and so confidence is growing.

There are also claims and counter-claims that this box is better than that system - the whole "my picture is better than yours" scenario. To test this is I took my Android box up to a friend who has a Mag 250, and we watched the same channels to compare them. The difference was not in the boxes but the stream one was connected to. My provider's channels in SD were just about identical to his, but my HD channels were far superior. This has caused him to consider changing providers.

The Mag boxes have their supporters as do the Android boxes. I value the greater flexibility of my Android box, but my chum likes the "plug and play" simplicity of his Mag box. This is all horses for courses and we shall agree and disagree as the wind changes. I just cannot imagine paying Sky's prices now, even if their service was available. As long as Cyta's network holds up, we shall all be fine with what we have chosen.
Our Cyprus Dream

Perfer et obdura; dolor hic tibi proderit olim.

Be patient and tough; some day this pain will be useful to you. (Ovid)
MacManiac

Postby Happy in Cyprus » 12 Dec 2016 16:50

gogetemgirl wrote:Which IPTV provider are you using now?

Hi Gogetemgirl. I replied by PM much earlier, as Jim says, it's Simon of Sensible Satellites.
Happy in Cyprus

Postby Jim » 12 Dec 2016 17:13

And Alex Simon's system is not the same as Costas at SOS..do not wish to switch either of my systems on or off.. :-B

Mags are by far the most popular IPTV system mainly because it has a Sky like EPG and no downloading and complications of codecs files, been there and no thank you, fortunately all is well again after a Cyta problems. :-bd

I also use the cheapo provider that Alex mentioned , personally I like it, yes it is not a 100% reliable but the content is amazing even has BBC Iplayer and ITV Player, I will be keeping both systems for the long term future.
Jim
Site Admin

Postby Happy in Cyprus » 12 Dec 2016 17:25

That's the one thing I like about Simon's set-up Jim, it's 100% reliable. It just works pefectly...ALL the time. Love the Sky-like EPG too.
Happy in Cyprus

Postby alexchry » 12 Dec 2016 17:53

Jim, I didn't say they were the same but they do seem to have the same origin. For example, a few weeks ago exactly the same scheduled maintenance message came up on both systems. Another example is that this morning both systems showed a total of 5397 for VOD. They both now show 5399 having both added My Fair Lady and another Greek titled program during today. I don't think these are coincidences. I use both systems and, apart from the sports comment I made in my previous post, there is nothing much to choose between them.
The cheap system that you and I and a mutual friend have is not reliable enough to be the only system one has. The BBCiplayer and ITV Player are not the players but merely the menu heading for box sets and some individual programs. You need to use the normal catch-up to watch most of the programs from BBC and ITV. If you do have another system, as we all do, then it's not bad value.
alexchry

Postby Yankie » 12 Dec 2016 19:28

I have just checked both of my systems one with Sensible Satellites and one with SOS, both are identical even down to the football channels and both seemed to update channel numbers at the weekend. The only difference I have is one I pay yearly and the other I pay monthly.
Mike
Yankie

Postby Happy in Cyprus » 13 Dec 2016 00:30

It's interesting that a number of members have more than one provider. Why is this? I ask as I can't think of a good reason to pay for a second service, when the one I use just works so perfectly.

I seem to remember Simon telling me that you couldn't have more than one provider at any one time, though I belive Mag boxes are pre-programmed to allow at least two providers. When Simon was programming our box he called up a guy in Limassol to action everything, so his product is clearly available elsewhere in Cyprus. I think I actually prefer the convenience of paying annually: one less thing to think about each month. But I do wonder if SOS's offer is cheaper?
Happy in Cyprus

Postby Sinbad » 13 Dec 2016 08:07

Actually you can have up to eight portals in the mag box . But correct that you can only use one at at time .
Sinbad

Postby Austin 7 » 13 Dec 2016 08:31

With SOS you can pay monthly or for 6 months, if you opt for the latter you get one month free.
Austin 7

Postby Happy in Cyprus » 13 Dec 2016 18:48

Being lazy and save me calling SOS, how much pcm?
Happy in Cyprus

Postby Yankie » 13 Dec 2016 19:11

When I asked, SOS said they would put the system they use onto my NTV box, but not onto the Sensible Satellite box I think maybe Simon is a customer, so perhaps an old fashioned ethical thing only guessing.
Mike
Yankie

Postby djtaylo » 14 Dec 2016 09:20

I have used NTV for about 2 years and have been pleased with it, until a couple of weeks ago when I have had a few issues. One of the things I like about NTV is if you subscribe to the Magbox you can also use the web version on your laptop, Amazon Fire android and my android mobile, which I have found works very well, I have recently used the web version in the UK and Asia. Do the other providers give you the same options, Thanks
djtaylo

Postby lion » 14 Dec 2016 09:44

Yankie wrote:When I asked, SOS said they would put the system they use onto my NTV box, but not onto the Sensible Satellite box I think maybe Simon is a customer, so perhaps an old fashioned ethical thing only guessing.
Mike

I think Simon installs software onto the Mag - could this be why?
lion

Postby keving » 14 Dec 2016 14:51

With all the IPTV providers that I have used (NTV, Mbox, UKTV France, etc) it has been a very simple job of entering a url into Portal 1 and then restarting the MAG box.

Do SOS or Simple Satelites do anything more than enter a simple url as I have described?
keving

Postby alexchry » 14 Dec 2016 16:50

keving - some IPTV providers take over the whole box so that you can only run one system and have limited access to the box's facilities and parameters, SOS and SS are two of these. I am told this is for security and reliability so users can't play around with the system and make changes that might affect performance. Others, such as those you mention, allow you to use the two portals for two different systems so that you can select which one to use and have full access to the box.
alexchry

Postby keving » 14 Dec 2016 18:35

Thanks alexchry.

With my previous IPTV providers its been very easy to change provider - I just overwrite the old url with the new url.

I am thinking of using SOS or SS, but what slightly concerns me is if "they take over the whole box" and programme things that I am not aware of, how easy is it to end the contract with SOS or SS and switch back to another supplier. To what extent are you "locked" into SOS or SS if you take out a subscription with either?
keving

Postby lion » 14 Dec 2016 18:38

keving my thoughts exactly maybe SOS or SS can comment
lion

Postby Happy in Cyprus » 14 Dec 2016 18:40

When we first went with Simon he appeared keen on adjusting the settings of our existing box himself...and not allowing me to do this. Anyway, given the quite exceptional viewing experience and reliability of his system, I don't particularly have a problem with this.

To answer Kev's point: our box belongs to us, so I would not expect to find software in place which prevents me moving to another provider if we so choose.
Happy in Cyprus

Postby holitec » 14 Dec 2016 18:52

Hi,

I have found quite a few providers locking the MAG boxes, but you can unlock them. It is a bit of a pain, but you need a USB stick and download the factory firmware on to it.

On power up, press the menu button - there is a firmware update option on the bios screen. Instructions are available on the Informir site.

Personally, I do agree with locking customers into a single provider, customers buy a MAG box and should expect to be able to change the stream supplier if they wish. The factory firmware allows up to 8 different portals. I had a box the other day and it was a pig to reset to factory defaults, it took me ages to reset it!

Digby
holitec
Own Section Moderator

Postby micktreviss » 14 Dec 2016 20:57

djtaylo wrote:I have used NTV for about 2 years and have been pleased with it, until a couple of weeks ago when I have had a few issues. One of the things I like about NTV is if you subscribe to the Magbox you can also use the web version on your laptop, Amazon Fire android and my android mobile, which I have found works very well, I have recently used the web version in the UK and Asia. Do the other providers give you the same options, Thanks

djtaylo,

In a word, no and that is exactly why I have stuck with NTV, I have mentioned this several times on this forum. It is a little more than having an xbmc (Kodi) platform on PCs, Android boxes, FireSticks et al. I can also watch (and AirPlay) NTV on my iPhone and iPad via the Matrix Browser.

This in itself may not be very significant for most but I take my iPhone and iPad everywhere I go, meaning I can view footy live when I want anywhere; I do not take my MAG. Clearly I don't take my AppleTV G3 either BUT live UK anywhere in the world on a 10" screen is far, far better than watching gibberish on a 32" hotel screen (when I'm not in the bar!)

Mick
micktreviss

Postby Vic's lad » 16 Dec 2016 11:59

Over the past month there have been problems with NTV which has given rise to this post in respect of the alternatives to NTV. Now that the system seems to be operating well I thought I would add my comments as to why I haven't moved to another provider. First there is the 14 day catch-up, which try as I might, and as everyone else tries, does not appear to be available elsewhere. Secondly, I currently have 4 sources of NTV programmes: my Mag in lounge, my desktop/laptop in study, my apple tv (with Kodi installed) in kitchen, and on my ipad (using matrix tv browser: excellent), which can also be used to airplay on to TV. Again I don't know any other provider that can give me all of these for one subscription (of £25 to 27 depending on exchange rate). I have considered SS and SOS and various others, but, for now, am staying with NTV for the 14 day catch-up and its various forms of distribution. Before anyone asks the most I have had on at any one time is 3 ( with different channels being streamed)
Vic's lad

Postby Happy in Cyprus » 16 Dec 2016 15:00

Must agree that 14 day catch-up is a very nice thing to have, and the only shortcoming with SS from our point of view. One week is just too restrictive.
Happy in Cyprus

Postby Jim » 16 Dec 2016 17:57

I have never found one week to be restrictive, it is confusing enough to look for missed programs in just the one week, I miss nothing, best advise I could give as we do get a TV program Mag, "Whats on TV" is good and not expensive like Radio Times..By the way Lloyd 90% of my TV is via catch up.
Jim
Site Admin

Postby neilkeilloh » 16 Dec 2016 19:10

You can get 14 day catch-up for free with one of triotechs new android boxes from their shop in the old town.loads of movies and TVs series and 14 day catch-up on 25 channels all with no subscription.
neilkeilloh

Postby Jim » 24 Dec 2016 17:22

I have had one from this outlet, but never again, sorry.
Jim
Site Admin

Postby Happy in Cyprus » 24 Dec 2016 22:29

Neilkeilloh: can't comment on the Triotech Android box because I've never used one, but I'm more than happy to pay €20 a month for over 500 channels, many in HD and many/most with 7 day catch-up and Sky-like remote and ease of use. It just doesn't get much better.
Happy in Cyprus

Postby neilkeilloh » 25 Dec 2016 10:30

I only spend about 5 months of the year in Cyprus so not worth subscribing.i take the android box home with me and get loads of had tv shows and movies.i have but infinity with internet speed of 75mps so that helps,I must admit the android box is a hit or miss regarding live sport,but I get by sport free so I'll get along just fine with that
neilkeilloh

Postby trevnhil » 25 Dec 2016 12:57

I had no idea that speeds of 75 mbps were attainable on the island.

Trev..
trevnhil

Postby keving » 25 Dec 2016 15:10

trevnhil wrote:I had no idea that speeds of 75 mbps were attainable on the island.

Trev..

I think Neil is refering to BT Infinity in the UK which has fibre optic speeds up to 76Mb.
keving

Postby trevnhil » 25 Dec 2016 15:18

Ah, I understand if it in the UK. :-)

Trev..
trevnhil

Return to IPTV, TV, Satellite, Home Gadgets, latest electronics Q&A.....