Best providers Paphos area?

Digby's Internet problems and advice, regarding all aspects of life on the Internet..

Moderator: holitec

Postby Al & Sue » 02 Jun 2015 19:03

Following on from my question on the TV board, it seems that a decent internet service is going to be an essential requirement when we move over to retire later this year. Thinking of one of the elevated villages around Paphos, such as Pegia, Tala, Upper Chlorakas, Mesa Chlorio, Trimithousa etc (please excuse spelling errors). Can anyone give any advice on the best ISP to use, and do speeds available vary much from place to place? would also appreciate any info on what sort of price I should be paying, I am no to bothered about having a landline phone, but will need good reliable internet.
...and then one day you find, ten years have got behind you, no-one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun.
Al & Sue

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Best providers Paphos area?

Postby Al & Sue » 13 Oct 2015 21:03

Can now be a bit more specific with my questions, as I have I have put a deposit on a house in Tala, and will be over in December. The current owner has Cytanet phone and Internet, and seems very happy with everything. Would it be simplest for me to just get that connected in my name, or is it easy enough to use another provider with that line? still not worried about landline phone, but could make use of it, any recommendations for providers, and advice about how to get the service, anything I can start off from the UK to speed the process up

Cheers

Al
...and then one day you find, ten years have got behind you, no-one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun.
Al & Sue

Postby galexinda » 14 Oct 2015 11:17

Always been more than happy with internet and house phone provided by CYTA. Our mobiles do not have the facility to 'press 1, 20 or 3 etc' for the menus some organisations have when we phone them eg DWP in the UK, hence we decided to have a land line. For 6MB we pay 34.51 for the internet. Not sure how much it will cost to set up as there was a free connection offer when we arrived. The phone costs €21.61 but we decided to pay the connection charge on a monthly basis than up front and that will be reduced by €5 from December. Using the CYTA 1018 service we have low overseas phone bills.

We use a Magbox 250 for television and the monthly subscription service from Computer SOS in Chloraka costs €25 to include Sky Sports Formula 1 racing and films that are updated on a regular basis. Again happy with the service provided by Brian & Sheryl.
galexinda

Postby holitec » 14 Oct 2015 11:25

Hi Al,

As you have an existing line, you can easily get connected via cyta or primetel. If you do not wish for a phone you can have a "naked" dsl from cyta.

Speeds should be increased later this year. For TV the MAG box is the way to go, but you do have to pay a subscription - about 80 euros per year will cover around 600 channels including sports.

You could go for an independent wireless provider, however Paphos is flooded with wireless signals and the service in that area will probably deteriorate due to cross channel interference and unless you need switch on/off I would go with a fixed line.

Regards

Digby
holitec
Own Section Moderator

Postby Al & Sue » 15 Oct 2015 21:43

Thanks for the tips,think CYTA and a mag box seems to be the way to go

Al
Al & Sue

Postby MacManiac » 16 Oct 2015 06:56

holitec wrote:Speeds should be increased later this year. For TV the MAG box is the way to go, but you do have to pay a subscription - about 80 euros per year will cover around 600 channels including sports.

Digby,

This is not the first time that I have heard that internet speeds may be increased later this year. As you are in the Internet trade, your views carry more weight. Do you know what the plans are? I spoke to a friend who works for Cyta, and he had not heard anything at all about this. Of course, it may well be on a "need to know" basis and he is sufficiently junior that he may well not need to know.

I have a 4 Mb connection with Cyta, and it is pretty stable but would obviously be delighted if it was to receive a Christmas present of more speed.
Our Cyprus Dream

Perfer et obdura; dolor hic tibi proderit olim.

Be patient and tough; some day this pain will be useful to you. (Ovid)
MacManiac

Postby holitec » 17 Oct 2015 21:10

There should be a speed increase at the end of the year, it will probably be rolled out over a few months. There will still be physical limits to speeds depending on distance, the new dslam's that have been installed will support up to 78Mbps at 500m from the cabinet.

Digby
holitec
Own Section Moderator

Postby Jim » 23 Dec 2015 07:27

There was an increase in December, my Cyta went from 6 to 11MB, no extra charge. It is expensive enough.
Jim
Site Admin

Return to Internet problems and advice