Peyia Private Animal Sanctuary

This section is dedicated to those who feel that animals have a part in there lives..

Moderator: Admin

Postby Pickles » 16 May 2014 19:28

Please can anyone help Anita? She has once again come to the rescue of 6 older dogs whose owners are returning to the UK due to ill health and are unable to take them back.
Any form of help is welcome be it offers of fostering, financial, food or equipment donations or even a forever home! There was also a 20 yr old donkey but a kind lady in Limassol is taking her!

All photos and details are on her Facebook page Peyia Private Dog Sanctuary.

:o3
Last edited by Pickles on 26 Sep 2014 19:02, edited 1 time in total.
My goal in life is to be as good a person as my dogs already think I am!
Pickles

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Peyia Private Dog Sanctuary

Postby emgee » 17 May 2014 07:33

Why don't the owners do the respectful thing for their animals and have them put to sleep?

They are now going to be a burden for someone(people).

It's not right, you have animals, you must respect them.

Alan
emgee

Postby Pickles » 17 May 2014 09:41

It's not respectful at all Alan as the animals still have a lot of years left in them and love to give.

They are not sick or dangerous so why should they be euthanised? There are many of us animal lovers here who will help Anita to do her utmost to find suitable homes be it by fundraising for money to pay their flights to the UK if homes are found there, or simply by advertising their plight!

:o3
Pickles

Postby Jen » 17 May 2014 12:30

Vikky I hear what you say and to a certain extent agree, but Alan does have a point.

We brought 2 dogs to Cyprus and when we returned we brought them home with us, still with us. But I personally knew people who always said that if they had to go back and couldn't afford to take their pets that's what they would do, I suppose because they couldn't face just leaving them.

It's hard enough having to have a beloved pet put to sleep because of ill health not sure if I would be brave enough to do this for other reasons.
Jen

Postby emgee » 17 May 2014 12:39

Vicky

WHO is going to look after them?

Who can afford to take on 6 dogs these days. This is totally irresponsible of the owners, thank you for bringing this to our attention.

Regards

Alan
emgee

Postby amber » 17 May 2014 13:25

I can speak from experience as I chose to have my healthy dog put to sleep rather than leave him with strangers. At the time and place (on a remote island where hardly any English was spoken and there were no kennels or animal welfare facilities) it was the correct thing to do for the mental wellbeing of the dog.

However, this post is asking for help for the Peyia Dog Sanctuary so I have deleted the rest of this post so as not to detract from the appeal for help.
Last edited by amber on 19 May 2014 11:42, edited 1 time in total.
non sibi sed omnibus
amber

Postby Pickles » 17 May 2014 14:43

I'm sorry but to have a healthy dog destroyed is unforgiveable and the vet was acting illegally in doing so.

I am not saying anymore and you can either argue your case with Anita or like me, help her!
Pickles

Postby Jim » 18 May 2014 06:33

I left a healthy dog in the UK when we moved out here, in fact it was a lovely young Border Collie that a Warwickshire BC Sanctuary took in for us and fortunately found her a new owner, she had a fantastic life with these very kind people, she passed away only last year I was informed aged 14, now Amber I have to say I could never have put her down as you did, I find your actions alarming and saddening, I would have stayed in the UK if a new owner could not have been found, she did thankfully and although very depressed for weeks we were happy that Becky was re homed and led a wonderful life.

It took a lot of effort and heartache but so happy she enjoyed a long and wonderful life!
Jim
Site Admin

Postby Jen » 18 May 2014 19:03

I don't think Vikky it is illegal for a vet to put a healthy animal to sleep, most vets would obviously discuss this fully with the owner and may be try to change their decision.

Are you saying that within the various animal charities in Cyprus that no healthy animals have ever been put to sleep?
Jen

Postby flybynite » 12 Sep 2014 13:29

pickles ty for the contact number .You have missed a number can u repost it

phil
Growing old is mandatory,growing up is optional
flybynite

Return to Animals and animal welfare