Cat with infected eye

This section is dedicated to those who feel that animals have a part in there lives..

Moderator: Admin

Cat with infected eye

Postby Firefly » 15 Nov 2015 16:18

I don't know if anyone can throw any light on my cat's eye infection, but here goes. My old Cypriot rescue cat has had a badly infected eye for about two weeks, I took him to the vet as soon as I saw he had a problem, he inspected the eye and said there was some dirt in it which he removed. Cat on antibiotic eye drops and steroid drop two/three times a day, no improvement, took him back, eye examined under anaesthetic, no foreign body or damage found, eye flushed and medication continued. still no improvement. He has been scratching his head over the eye for a week or two before infection, with an area of scab, we thought we had been fighting. Since the infection he has stopped scratching, is it possible for a sharp fb to have entered the orbital bone and been driven in by his scratching ? I know this is a long shot, but I can't think of anything else, as the infection was treated immediately. He is going in again for another inspection tomorrow, but the suggestion is that I travel about 80 miles with him to a veterinary eye hospital at £148 just for the consultation. Any thoughts please ?

Thanks, Jackie
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
Firefly

Cat with infected eye

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Cat with infected eye

Postby Pickles » 15 Nov 2015 16:34

Have you tried asking at Paphiakos? Yianni the new vet opp Paps in Chlorakas is very good to and reasonably priced - he took a huge grass seed out of my kitten's eye last year!!

8)
My goal in life is to be as good a person as my dogs already think I am!
Pickles

Postby Firefly » 15 Nov 2015 16:44

Hi

I don't live in Cyprus anymore sadly, but I am having him investigated by a different vet tomorrow, here's hoping he can find the cause. Thank you for your reply.

Jackie
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
Firefly

Postby Pickles » 15 Nov 2015 17:42

Oh sorry I assumed you were here and there's no location on your profile!

8)
My goal in life is to be as good a person as my dogs already think I am!
Pickles

Postby Firefly » 16 Nov 2015 16:58

Quick up-date for anyone who has a cat with similar symptoms, it now transpires that my cat has a cataract, which has presented itself to appear as an infection, watering, reddening, and half open. After a second opinion by a senior vet, we have a different diagnosis and treatment, visit to eye hospital postponed for now. I am a bit miffed that it has taken so long to reach this diagnosis, poor cat.

Jackie
Firefly

Postby Firefly » 21 Feb 2016 16:08

A quick update re. my cat's eye. He has been subsequently diagnosed with Uveitis, which I understand is very painful. He was prescribed Pred Forte eye drops. several weeks on, my cat could not open the eye, and hid in a bedroom, I immediately took him back to the vet, who examined his eye, stopped the drops he was on, as he now has a ulcerated eye. Painkillers and three different eye drops and a return visit to the vet tomorrow. I'm worried that he may well eventually lose the eye. He has suffered so much poor boy, and he's so good, I do wonder if Cypriot cats do not have as strong a constitution as my UK cats, or is it just bad luck, who knows.

Jackie
Firefly

Postby Firefly » 06 Mar 2016 17:55

Bad news for poor Pepper, he is to have his eye removed Wednesday next, feeling sad. :cry:

Jackie
Firefly

Return to Animals and animal welfare