British couple caught dumping a dog!!!

This section is dedicated to those who feel that animals have a part in there lives..

Moderator: Admin

Postby Pickles » 05 Jun 2016 10:42

I sincerely hope this nasty couple are traced - had they honestly 'found' it or was it their own they no longer wanted?!!

PPDS (Paphos Private Dog Sanctuary in Mandria report this happened yesterday, copied from their Fb page:

Please note, on the rare occasion we can't take dog's in , as sometimes we are full.
Please don't abandon them outside the sanctuary.
Today a couple had 'found' a dog, then decided as we couldn't take it, to let the dog on the busy road. And speed off. .
The dog was nearly hit several times, as we heard screaming of brakes and horns blowing.
The couple was in there 60 s, English, driving a HRV maroon colour. We are now checking on cctv to see if we can get the number plates.
Spent most of the afternoon looking for this dog without success.
Really hope these people can sleep well tonight knowing what they have done.

:evil:
My goal in life is to be as good a person as my dogs already think I am!
Pickles

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: British couple caught dumping a dog!!!

Postby lofos-jan » 05 Jun 2016 10:58

For the exact reason of a response such as this, if I saw a dog that was looking lost, I would leave it exactly where it was. They may have legitimately found it (rather than the implied 'found' it) and thought that taking it to a dog sanctuary was the right thing to do for the dog. Some people genuinely would not be able to take a dog home with them - it would definitely be out of the question for me so where does that leave you if the shelters can't take them? There needs to be a bigger drive for a neutering programme (cats and dogs) to try to make some inroads into this huge problem. When funds are raised for that specific purpose, I gladly contribute as this is going to be the only way to tackling this ever growing problem

Jeanne
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way
lofos-jan

Postby Party-Jane.cy » 05 Jun 2016 11:26

I think it is well known that expats of wherever who leave the Island cannot be bothered (or afford) to take their pets with them and just abandon them. Maybe if this was the case it was a little more responsible to try and take it to a rescue centre although totally heartless in the extreme! One thing is for sure, when they left it if the dog chased their car you can bet it had been their pet and knew it was being abandoned. Such an unbelievably cruel thing to do ........ if it was the case! :evil: :evil:
Party-Jane.cy

Postby Mrs Polo » 05 Jun 2016 13:15

Party-Jane Cy I take offence at your random comment that expats who leave the Island dump/ abandon their dogs :evil: perhaps you need to reconsider the wording of your post. We left the Island in March 2014 and not for 1 minute did we consider not relocating our dog with us whatever the monetary cost.
Mrs Polo

Postby Jim » 05 Jun 2016 13:19

Jane while I am like everyone else appalled if this is true but do not blame all ex pats, as many of them help run and support these charities, and yes 90% are ex-pats, you do not think the locals do this? I also take great offence at your comments Jane, please do not do this.
Jim
Site Admin

Postby juliesewell » 05 Jun 2016 14:10

Sadly, what Jane has said is true - it's not only the local folks who abandon their dogs in Cyprus but our British expat population do also do it. Maybe in not so large numbers but you only have to see the number of posts on facebook (and also on the forums) where those who are leaving suddenly post how they cannot keep their dogs when they go and start asking for someone to take them on.

I cannot get my head around it - I guess they wouldn't do that if it was their child but when you take on an animal that after a number of years is totally dependent upon you for food, shelter and love why would you suddenly drop it like a hot potato?

It cost us around £1,200 to take our 2 dogs (one 14yrs and the other around 8yrs old) back to the UK just recently. We were lucky that we were eventually in a position to purchase a property outright but we had already ruled out apartments as it wasn't fair for our pets to be put into a tiny space and also ruled out rentals as they are difficult to come by where private landlords will allow animals.

Had we not been able to bring them with us - then unfortunately, my parents would have had to wait a while longer before we could have come to be here for them. My parents would not have expected us to come back without our dogs.

And yes - there are many British expats doing "good" for animals in Cyprus but there are just as many Cypriots and other nationalities too doing just the same... Not the case I have seen,

Most animal sanctuaries are manned by ex-pats, this is a fact..
Its not large numbers of ex-pats who do this, and Jane is not correct and neither are you...Jim

The publicity in Cyprus for animals is now absolutely huge but as yet not all Cypriots have are as dependent on the internet as us British and many are still a bit "behind the door" when it comes to animals. They believe they are only there to serve a purpose and dogs are still meant for hunting and to be kept in cages.

Our landlord for instance, lovely man that he is, simply could not understand why we were paying to take our elderly and infirm dog back to UK with us. He told us "just give him an injection" or "leave him with Andreas" (that's the Cypriot guy who lives behind what was our rental house and a very active rescuer of abandoned dogs).

Bloody typical of some Cypriots attitude towards animals here, no excuses Julie..you like me are well aware who is to blame for this here on Cy..
Jules,
Busy exploring England's green & pleasant lands since May 2016 after 12yrs in Cyprus.
Follow my photos here: http://tinyurl.com/PhotographyWeb
juliesewell

Location: Previously Ypsonas, Limassol (Mar 2004 to Apr 2016) Now: Knott End on Sea, UK

Postby Party-Jane.cy » 05 Jun 2016 14:43

I did not say ALL expats, but you cannot get away from the fact that some do. Just ask that question to the many good hard working people who run the rescue centres - both Cypriot Centres (Yes they do exist) and the expat run ones.
Party-Jane.cy

Postby Wee Stumpy » 05 Jun 2016 15:22

A despicable act!! I can understand what Lofos Jan is saying though as I could definitely not have any more dogs. I have found 4 altogether in the last few years. The first one( a 6 week old puppy) had been dumped in our communal garage in Tala on a freezing xmas day and we found it when we drove home - really lucky with this one as I advertised it on here and Swansea Sue had it the next day - I saw her a few months ago and she showed me pictures! The 2nd one had been living rough for few days on some rough ground across the road from me. He seemed in excellent health albeit hungry and I took him to Paphiakos ( this is when they were still accepting them) I offered to sponsor him and did all that and then he became seriously ill and I was asked for money for medical fees etc ( the problem is that this was a young dog who was put in with other dogs none of whom had been vaccinated and I am sure that is why he became ill) That find cost me about 200 Euros!! Then I found a hunting dog that was just lying in the middle of our street totally exhausted. Our dog would not accept her at all - Anita said she would take her in a couple of days so I begged and pleaded with the Vets to keep her until Anita could take her - that cost me the Vets teatment and board and then a donation to Anita - possibly about 150 Euros. ( I think Anita still has her as she was about 10 and then became blind - beautiful Freckles!) Next one who found us and refused to leave is our beautiful Timmy - no one had room for him - pleaded with PAWS and Anita but neither had room, took him all around all the cypriot houses in the area to try and find his former home but no one owned up to him! Thank goodness because he is the best little dog and we love him to bits but we did not want a puppy at our ages ( mid sixties) This one cost us loads!! We had him castrated, chipped etc etc and he is still costing us - most especially expensive if we want to go away for a week boarding costs for two dogs cost as much as a flight!!
However we would never, never never have turned him out on a busy road if Anita or others could not take him but I must admit to hoping that I do not find more!
Shelagh
Wee Stumpy

Postby Pickles » 05 Jun 2016 16:25

Anita at PPDS is full which is why she couldn't take this poor dog in the first place.

Sadly Freckles had to be put to sleep :( a recently as her health had deteriorated and it wasn't fair to keep her going - she was a grand old girl though - loved HER patch in the field under HER pergola and came to play and greet you on HER terms - RIP Freckles! :o3

8)

PS No one has mentioned the number of people (mainly expats I know for a fact!) who book their pets into boarding kennels (allegedly whilst they are on holiday) and never come back - having simply left on a 1 way ticket!!! Very distressing for al concerned and an inconsiderable expense for the boarding facility too!!
Pickles

Postby Jim » 05 Jun 2016 16:58

This is a serious problem, you do your best when you do pick up a stray (as this dog probably was) what do you do with them? all sanctuaries are full off mostly Cypriot dogs who are left to there own devises, many of us have dogs and cats we did not ask for that we took in our care, we do our best, but countless times I have seen stray dogs with long pieces of string not rope that is supposed to keep them in trotting off down our road, we all know who does that, same folks who leave there dogs out barking all night! Lets tell it as it really is, all parts of the world have miss treated animals, but Cyprus has more than it's fair share of them, it needs a strong local government (don't laugh) to deal with this problem on the Island.

All I can say is thank god that the local ex-pats WHO DO A WONDERFUL JOB, at least they do try and look after these fallen animals, nothing changes does it, I posted some the same message 15 years ago here on CL.

Finally it is not ex-pats who lay poison down is it, anyone who has seen their pet die like this will never forgive the locals for doing this despicable act every hunting season, far far worse than just trying to leave a dog at a closed animal sanctuary..do remember this!!!don't post with a bag over your head please.
Jim
Site Admin

Postby Pickles » 05 Jun 2016 17:10

Some enforcement of the so- called animal laws would be a good start - how many of you realise that the dog license money you pay t o your local municipality is SUPPOSED to fund a pound where strays are taken, fed and watered whilst attempts are made to trace the rightful owner? This of course would only work if animals were micro chipped - something else that doesn't seem to ever be enforced!
Of course there are places with 'pounds' that are simply used as dumping grounds for all and sundry, the local authority employee is scared of dogs and gets his malaka mates to steal (sorry TAKE) them before any checks are done! A very kind expat feeds and waters them as best he can, and he also has a micro chip scanner donated by a local animal charity which in all the time it's been used has only ever found 1 animal with a chip!!

:evil:
Pickles

Postby Rigsby » 05 Jun 2016 17:24

lofos-jan wrote: if I saw a dog that was looking lost, I would leave it exactly where it was.

Jeanne

I completely agree. In the past I have taken abandoned dogs to PafiXXX, now I won't. I can't accept that by doing a good deed means I have to adopt a dog. :cry:
Rigsby

Postby juliesewell » 05 Jun 2016 18:33

Unfortunately, those like Wee Stumpy who have been stung several times due to their acts of kindness have now realised that unless you are prepared to take the stray dog you have found on board as a permanent basis - don't rescue it in the first place.... Sad, but very true!

The rescue centres and pounds are almost always at the point of bursting and many do take on more than they should rather than turn them away but they cannot always do that and under those circumstances, they just have to say "no"..... And that's where you have to think "if I take this dog to the rescue centre and they cannot take him, can I keep him until they have room or I can rehome him elsewhere?"

If the answer to that question is "no" then the kindest thing you can do is turn a blind eye.

I've had to block so many of the Cypriot facebook animal groups as the number of postings published hourly were too many to deal with. Unfortunately, some of the well known animal sanctuaries milk the horror stories for all they are worth to get into the limelight when they want more funding sources whereas those running along on their own steam just get on with the job and deal with it.

I'm friends in person with both British and Cypriot people who run the non-charitable rescue services and pound helpers and seen them run ragged. One particular friend of ours could never come out for a lunchtime or evening meal without receiving a phone call from either another helper or someone wanting her to take in a dog they had found because a well meaning person had given them her number. After 7yrs, she had to say enough was enough.....

Dogs are being flown out of Cyprus on an almost daily basis to new homes in Europe including UK - some permanent and some to foster families and the rescue and rehoming groups just literally run by the skin of their teeth to keep these dogs moving to make way for the next ones.

Our dogs were kenneled at a rescue centre for 2 days before they followed us to UK and that lady and her sister had almost 100 dogs in their care.

In Paphos, perhaps there are more British run societies - but, this is not the same for the rest of the island, there are big groups of Cypriot supporters. Things have changed over the years!

And yes, Pickles also hit the nail on the head with her post about expats going "on holiday" but never coming back. I know just what I would like to do with those people if I ever met up with them :evil:
Jules,
Busy exploring England's green & pleasant lands since May 2016 after 12yrs in Cyprus.
Follow my photos here: http://tinyurl.com/PhotographyWeb
juliesewell

Location: Previously Ypsonas, Limassol (Mar 2004 to Apr 2016) Now: Knott End on Sea, UK

Postby Wee Stumpy » 05 Jun 2016 19:39

Oh I am so sorry to hear that Freckles had to be put to sleep! Poor poor girl but I am so pleased that she had the caring time that she had with Anita and she kept and looked after her whilst knowing that she would never be re-homed as she was about 10.
Shelagh
Wee Stumpy

Postby Pickles » 06 Jun 2016 06:30

Oh yes Shelagh she was certainly spoilt - she had the most adorable waterproof coat donated to her too - almost like a doggie Barbour jacket!

8)
Pickles

Postby Linda Newman » 06 Jun 2016 08:00

Party-Jane Cy I take offence at your random comment that expats who leave the Island dump/ abandon their dogs :evil: perhaps you need to reconsider the wording of your post. We left the Island in March 2014 and not for 1 minute did we consider not relocating our dog with us whatever the monetary cost.

Actually, it has happened on more than one occasion.

One time, a couple who lived in Anarita (ex Mandria) simply tied the dogs up and went merrily to the UK. Not that uncommon. The extra disgusting thing about this couple was that he worked for Paws... They were saved from starvation/ dehydration by a passer by.

The 'lady' was well known in the area, she did local karaoke and bingo evenings. That family are not missed.
Linda Newman

Postby emgee » 06 Jun 2016 11:56

Where we take our rescue dog for walks we occasionally see abandoned female hunting dogs, but what can you do? They are unapproachable and you could end up with a sizeable bill from the Vets. We have our rescued dog and cats and do the best for them.

Alan
emgee

Postby kili1 » 10 Jun 2016 16:49

There are just too many unwanted dogs and cats on the island and in and around Paphos. Not enough well meaning animal lovers to take them all in.
I have saId for years that a combination of either neutering or euthansia of all destitute animals is a humane option and necessary. Some well meanng people just feed them, but that is not the real answer, as well fed strays will continue to breed unchecked, the result being yet more kittens and puppies.
The animal shelters are all full up.
Maybe fund raising to help pay for more realistic solutions is something which we could perhaps think about seriously.
Don't shoot me, I am an animal lover, but don't like to see stray animals suffering.

Dee
kili1

Postby lizziemacceramics » 24 Aug 2016 11:01

Sadly i agree with kilt1. It is time we started to do the right thing and put some of these poor wee mites out of their misery. The older dogs and cats that are ill, instead of spending large amounts at the vets, look after the healthy ones and do the decent thing, Before you all start shouting I AM an animal lover and have rescued a wee dog with Leishmania and know first had the cost of the treatment let alone all the other things i.e. micro chipping and all the vacinations that go with it. We are returning to the UK next year and will be taking our wee dog back with us. I drive round in my car with both cat and dog food for the strays also feed two strays up where i live, something needs to be done and unfortunately i think this is the most kindest way of sorting this out.
lizziemacceramics

Return to Animals and animal welfare