Watching the € and the £ tumble.

Political debate

Moderator: Admin

Postby reesy » 24 Jun 2016 05:04

Sitting here watching the Euro tumble against the Pound...down 20% in the last few hours!
reesy

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Watching the Euro tumble.

Postby Jim » 24 Jun 2016 05:47

The usual currency site I use has crashed, but Sky news is saying the Pound has dropped alarmingly against the dollar, as suspected this result is sure to make the pound unstable, god knows how low it will fall, but it was predicted Dave.
Jim
Site Admin

Postby reesy » 24 Jun 2016 05:56

Good morning Jim...At the moment the Euro is 1.22 against the pound and the pound is at it,s lowest against the dollar for 25 years!
reesy

Postby Jim » 24 Jun 2016 06:00

Dave.

Yes what ever your stance on europe this is not going to be good news for UK ex-pats living on Cyprus, we can only watch and hope the pound finds at least a reasonable exchange rate, but I fear as I always have done it is going to be hard bitter pill to swallow, for many it will be the last straw and leave the Island for financial reasons.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/busin ... 98196.html
Jim
Site Admin

Postby alewfin » 24 Jun 2016 06:29

Correction. It's the Pound tumbling.
alewfin

Postby alewfin » 24 Jun 2016 06:39

It looks like its going to become constitutional chaos. Northern Ireland want a referendum to link up with the Republic in the EU. Scotland will also want a referendum.

The Prime Minister looks a dead duck. A leadership contest is inevitable. Corbyn also looks dead as his natural Labour voters ignored his luke warm support for the EU.

A general election looks highly likely.
alewfin

Postby Sinbad » 24 Jun 2016 06:45

The pound is worth 1.21 just now .... Let's wait and see how it settles .

http://www.exchangerates.org.uk/British ... table.html
Sinbad

Postby Jim » 24 Jun 2016 08:07

Yes it most certainly was predictable, but the future does not look good for us ex-pats, I only hope the pound does not bottom out, whatever the bottom is, the fall of the pound was predicted, but some chose to think it wouldn't, this was hindsight that was easy to predict.

Not a good day for many of us here here in Cyprus.
Jim
Site Admin

Postby Daz n Mandie » 24 Jun 2016 08:18

it wasn't long ago that the pound was almost on level par with the EURO and that was while UK was an active member of the EU.... so perhaps, after a short while, it'll recover again!
Daz
Daz n Mandie

Postby Jim » 24 Jun 2016 08:20

You absolutely sure Daz, because I'm not. :-q

And yes I was here then £ for a €, and when Cyprus went into Europe and the £1.47 to a euro, I feel many expats will suffer through this exit, and I feel it is a big mistake for all. Being fair minded the UK voted out (just) that's that, but I hope those that did vote out remember what they voted for.
Jim
Site Admin

Postby ASHTON » 24 Jun 2016 08:22

Carrot wrote::))

Enjoy the moment Carot because you will not be laughing in say a couple of years or even less........watch this space :shock:
ASHTON

Postby Daz n Mandie » 24 Jun 2016 08:47

Jim wrote:You absolutely sure Daz, because I'm not. :-q

And yes I was here then £ for a €, and when Cyprus went into Europe and the £1.47 to a euro, I feel many expats will suffer through this exit, and I feel it is a big mistake for all. Being fair minded the UK voted out (just) that's that, but I hope those that did vote out remember what they voted for.

But that's one of the gambles when you have your income in one currency and live in a country that has a different one, it's all swings and roundabouts and you have to take the rough with the smooth.

I feel that this is just the start of the demise of the EU, other countries will see this result as a wake up call and hold their own referendum which will, in turn, allow sterling to recover if it doesn't do so after the initial shock before hand.

But Daz this is self inflicted, sorry for the edit mate.Jim
Daz
Daz n Mandie

Postby Jim B » 24 Jun 2016 08:54

Keith

Most of the major cities in the North voted to remain, it was the rural area's that voted to leave, check the voting maps. you don't have to take my word for it. I still believe we will all live to regret it.

Jim
JimB
Jim B

Postby ronk » 24 Jun 2016 09:06

just have a look at the graph of £ to € since Cyprus joined the € in 2008:
http://www.pounds2euro.com/Charts
ronk

Postby explodingaardvark » 24 Jun 2016 09:09

Jim,B

The voting map that I have seen (on BBCTV) does not confirm your statement,
explodingaardvark

Postby Jim B » 24 Jun 2016 09:13

JimB
Jim B

Postby Mike Strand » 24 Jun 2016 09:19

The Map
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Fight for what is right!
Mike Strand

Postby LouiseCastricum » 24 Jun 2016 10:00

artlin

Oh oh why isn't there a LIKE button here.
Louise
LouiseCastricum

Postby juliesewell » 24 Jun 2016 10:23

Well, it wasn't me....
Jules,
Busy exploring England's green & pleasant lands since May 2016 after 12yrs in Cyprus.
Follow my photos here: http://tinyurl.com/PhotographyWeb
juliesewell

Location: Previously Ypsonas, Limassol (Mar 2004 to Apr 2016) Now: Knott End on Sea, UK

Postby MacManiac » 24 Jun 2016 10:51

I don't know whether anyone else picked up on what David Cameron said in his remarks this morning. It was something along the lines that for the millions of "Brits" (I don't like that expression) living abroad there will be no changes in the short term. I thought that was a little chilling, to say the least.
Our Cyprus Dream

Perfer et obdura; dolor hic tibi proderit olim.

Be patient and tough; some day this pain will be useful to you. (Ovid)
MacManiac

Postby lincoln » 24 Jun 2016 11:19

In Dec 2013 when we signed our tenancy agreement the rate was €1.17 to the £. It is at this moment €1.23 to the £.

Do not stress yourselfs. It will settle.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
All things are possible
lincoln

Postby alewfin » 24 Jun 2016 11:51

MacManiac wrote:I don't know whether anyone else picked up on what David Cameron said in his remarks this morning. It was something along the lines that for the millions of "Brits" (I don't like that expression) living abroad there will be no changes in the short term. I thought that was a little chilling, to say the least.

I believe he said immediate changes. I read today that one of the first topics of negoiatation with the EU will be the status of the Brits currently living and working in the EU and the EU citizens living and working in the UK.

The subject of work permits will undoubtedly arise. There will be nationalists in every country who will seek a popular mandate by telling their kin folk that their jobs have been taken by immigrants, whether that is a Brit in Germany or Cyprus or a Rumanian in Romford.
alewfin

Postby gisela » 24 Jun 2016 12:05

lincoln wrote:The subject of work permits will undoubtedly arise. There will be nationalists in every country who will seek a popular mandate by telling their kin folk that their jobs have been taken by immigrants, whether that is a Brit in Germany or Cyprus or a Rumanian in Romford.

''Of course, foreigners steal your job.
But maybe, if someone with no contacts, money or speaking the language, stals your job,
you are blank'' :-
gisela

Postby Jim B » 24 Jun 2016 12:19

Liverpool, Manchester, Newcastle and Leeds which are the major cities in the north voted to remain, look at your map.

Jim
JimB
Jim B

Postby ASHTON » 24 Jun 2016 12:32

"watch the price of the pound tumble"? ..chicken feed..watch the price of you house tumble if you have one here :shock:
ASHTON

Postby trevnhil » 24 Jun 2016 12:58

And because you have no location stated... Where is ' Here'??

Trev..
trevnhil

Postby lion » 24 Jun 2016 13:01

ASHTON wrote:"watch the price of the pound tumble"? ..chicken feed..watch the price of you house tumble if you have one here :shock:

Thats why renting is the best option.

The price will fall but I bet they are no easier to sell.
lion

Postby Jim B » 24 Jun 2016 13:15

Well looks like the SNP are going to go for a second referendum and also Northern Ireland is looking for their own referendum to leave so it appears it will end up a broken Union with little England (and Wales) left all on its own on the edge of but not in Europe.

Jim
JimB
Jim B

Postby lefkes » 24 Jun 2016 13:35

America is waking up to the news about now,lets see what happens to the pound now.
lefkes

Postby Daz n Mandie » 24 Jun 2016 13:39

The Dutch, Italians and French are now calling for thier own referendums (source BBCWorld)
Daz
Daz n Mandie

Postby explodingaardvark » 24 Jun 2016 13:45

Artlin,

So, you can all now start the process of returning to your home country.................and so on.

Biggest load of twaddle I have seen. You should be ashamed of peddling such panic.
explodingaardvark

Postby TLR » 24 Jun 2016 13:53

Jim B wrote:Well looks like the SNP are going to go for a second referendum and also Northern Ireland is looking for their own referendum to leave so it appears it will end up a broken Union with little England (and Wales) left all on its own on the edge of but not in Europe.

Jim

I was passionately in favour of the Union, and was extremely happy and relieved when Scotland voted No.
I believed then as now that countries are stronger together.
After the Brexit vote however I will be totally in favour of Scottish Independence (and will vote for it if the rules allow) so that we can remain in Europe as part of an even more important Union.
I am totally confused at the number of Expats who voted out, the only analogy is "Turkeys voting for Christmas" and if IndyRef2 becomes a successful reality I shall be one of the first applying for a SCOTTISH passport.
And let's just hope that Northern Ireland will follow the usual civilised rules of democracy, the IRA has never gone away and the 'rattle of the Thomson gun" may very well be heard again.
And a plague on Cameron for opening this Pandora's box, I can see his logic in that he gambled on silencing the Euro sceptics for once and for all, but when he tried to lance the boil he let the poison enter the whole bloodstream.
The viciousness of the campaign on both sides has created bitterness and a divide that may last for generations.
May God help the country formerly known as the United Kingdom.
TLR

Postby alewfin » 24 Jun 2016 14:15

TLR

I too was against independence in the Scottish referendum but now in favour of a second referendum. In the first referendum they were sold the promise of a United Kingdom in the EU. Clearly this is no longer the case. Also if it is democratically right that the people of the UK have a referendum then so it is for Scotland.

I also think that Northern Ireland should have its referendum for joining with the Republic and the EU. I cannot see how they can have an open border between the two countries when one is in the EU and the other not. This is the easiest route for illegal immigrants to get into the UK. Fly to Dublin as a tourist and then take a train or bus to Northern Ireland and get a ferry to the mainland as there wasn't (don't know if still true) any passport controls on boarding.
alewfin

Postby TLR » 24 Jun 2016 14:20

alewfin

Yes, the Irish border is another inconvenient truth the Brexiteer "get back our borders" mob forgot about.
The law of unintended consequences springs to mind.
TLR

Postby Jim B » 24 Jun 2016 14:21

explodingaardvark wrote:Artlin,

So, you can all now start the process of returning to your home country.................and so on.

Biggest load of twaddle I have seen. You should be ashamed of peddling such panic.

British people who now want to live in Cyprus will have to meet the Qualifying Criteria that all other non-EU Citizens have to meet; whether this is applied retrospectively to those who already live here, well we have to wait and see. Lets be straight, the qualifying criteria was pretty strict prior to Cyprus joining the EU and it was only the EU and Freedom of Movement that allowed people to settle here who otherwise wouldn't qualify. So not Twaddle as you say, quite a possibility for some.

Jim
JimB
Jim B

Postby Amazon » 24 Jun 2016 14:45

Under the EU treaty there is no retrospective reversal of status. If you are a UK citizen and are currently living in Cyprus under the freedom of movement rules you can stay forever as you passed the criteria when you entered Cyprus.

Until the UK leaves (at least 2 years) nothing changes anyone who wants to come and live in Cyprus under the freedom of movement law can do so.

Once the UK has left then Cyprus can pick and choose who comes from the UK so they will welcome anyone who can support themselves financially and is not a drain on their resources. Just like it used to be.

The latter is just what the UK has voted for, to chose who is allowed to live in the UK.
Amazon

Postby alewfin » 24 Jun 2016 14:52

alewfin

Yes, the Irish border is another inconvenient truth the Brexiteer "get back our borders" mob forgot about.
The law of unintended consequences springs to mind.[/quote]

Did the Brexiteers also forget to mention about paying for new passports (c£100) ? The current passport has 'European Union' all over it. Some have suggested that perhaps the countries in the EU will accept existing British passports even though the passport holder is no longer a citizen of the EU. I can imagine some officious jobs worth at French customs having a different opinion. Another unintended consequence ?
alewfin

Postby explodingaardvark » 24 Jun 2016 14:53

The same will apply of course to the millions who live in Spain
.Infers that present residents will have to leave - Not true, read the Treaty of Vienna.
The Polish, Hungarian, Romanian, Spanish, Italian workers currently in the UK will have to leave because they are immigrants.
Not true for the same reason.
whether this is applied retrospectively to those who already live here, well we have to wait and see.
Will not happen for the same reason and this statement is akin to the fear factor that the 'remainers' peddled during the campaigns.

And I only refer to something as twaddle when it is wrong, not when I disagree with it.

In fact if the EU were to be more democratic, without the EU commission acting unilaterally, I would have been in the remain camp.
explodingaardvark

Postby Jim B » 24 Jun 2016 14:58

Amazon wrote:Under the EU treaty there is no retrospective reversal of status. If you are a UK citizen and are currently living in Cyprus under the freedom of movement rules you can stay forever as you passed the criteria when you entered Cyprus.

Where does it say that and please don't quote the Vienna Convention because that was not signed into the Lisbon Treaty for individuals, only for countries?

Cyprus can after the separation do whatever Cyprus wants to do, it can introduce work visas, it can deport anyone it wants to deport unlike at present; we will not have the protection of EU Law any more.

Jim
JimB
Jim B

Postby Daz n Mandie » 24 Jun 2016 15:18

I can't imagine Cyprus would want to upset the UK too much because of the Sovereign Bases so they will probably give a little more flexibility than another country would get if found in the same position.
Daz
Daz n Mandie

Postby Dexter » 24 Jun 2016 15:25

TLR,

I don't see how Brits in Cyprus, that voted for Brexit, are in anyway like Turkey's voting for Christmas. Are you suggesting it is certain death, within the year, for the Brits in Cyprus. Typical of some of the comments made by Remain during their failed campaign.

The reality is that Brits will be allowed to remain forever within the EU State they select within the next 2 years. The UK is not planning to expel millions of EU citizen's, they are simply saying they will decide who can move to the UK in the future. Likewise Cyprus and other EU States will make the same decisions regarding Brits wanting to move to their country in the future.
Dexter

Postby ronk » 24 Jun 2016 15:47

>artlin..I think you 'd be better off with a simple explanation..not a simplistic one.
ronk

Postby TLR » 24 Jun 2016 16:11

Dexter wrote:TLR,

I don't see how Brits in Cyprus, that voted for Brexit, are in anyway like Turkey's voting for Christmas. Are you suggesting it is certain death, within the year, for the Brits in Cyprus. Typical of some of the comments made by Remain during their failed campaign.

The reality is that Brits will be allowed to remain forever within the EU State they select within the next 2 years. The UK is not planning to expel millions of EU citizen's, they are simply saying they will decide who can move to the UK in the future. Likewise Cyprus and other EU States will make the same decisions regarding Brits wanting to move to their country in the future.

You seem to be under the misapprehension that we Brits are somehow different from other migrants.
Shades of Colonial hubris?
This could well become a case of the biter bit.
TLR

Postby Dexter » 24 Jun 2016 16:28

TLR,

The UK has 3 million EU 'migrants' and 1.2 million Brits live within the other 27 EU States.

Do you think the EU want the 3 million EU migrants to be forced to leave the UK. Ergo the 1.2m Brits will 'remain' where they are.
Dexter

Postby TLR » 24 Jun 2016 16:42

Dexter

Why do you think we're that special.
The world map is not red all over any more, you and I have no more rights in Europe than a sub Saharan economic migrant.
Not after today's vote.
And we have just given two fingers to the EU, do you really think they are going to play nice with us
TLR

Postby Dexter » 24 Jun 2016 16:56

It is not a case of being special although 3 million obviously decided it is a special place.

The UK would be evicting almost 3 times as many migrants compared with Brits being evicted from the 27 EU States. Also the relative size of the UK compared with Bulgaria, Cyprus, Romania and Poland etc would mean the impact for these nations would be greater than it would be for the UK.

The EU is stupid but not that stupid.
Dexter

Postby Dexter » 24 Jun 2016 16:57

McIngy1 wrote:I think you'll find a lot of people in various countries want to give two fingers to the EU- Britain has simply "reintroduced" them to the gesture and shown them how to make it :-h

That was certainly a major factor when I made my Leave decision.
Dexter

Postby TLR » 24 Jun 2016 17:03

You can't argue with stupid.
Gobble gobble all the way to the Xmas dinner table.
TLR

Postby Dexter » 24 Jun 2016 17:13

Just try to accept the democratic vote, even if it wasn't what you had hoped for.
Dexter

Postby TLR » 24 Jun 2016 17:19

Dexter

Oh I do, my dear.
Just don't try to put a gloss on what it means for us new non EU expats.
See you at the airport.
TLR

Next

Return to Political debate