UK to Trigger Article 50 end of March 2017

Political debate

Moderator: Admin

Postby andy01424 » 02 Oct 2016 14:57

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-37532364

Bit of it read rest in link:
Theresa May will formally begin the Brexit process by the end of March 2017, she has told the BBC.

The PM's announcement on triggering Article 50 of the Lisbon Treaty - which begins the formal negotiation process - means the UK looks set to leave the EU by the summer of 2019.

Mrs May also promised a bill to remove the European Communities Act 1972 from the statute book.

She said this would make the UK an "independent, sovereign nation".

The repeal of the 1972 Act will not take effect until the UK leaves the EU under Article 50.

It will be contained in a "Great Repeal Bill", promised in the next Queen's Speech, which will also enshrine all existing EU law into British law.

This will allow the government to seek to keep, amend or cancel any legislation once Brexit has been completed. The repeal bill will also end the jurisdiction of the European Court of Justice in the UK.
Hastings East Sussex
andy01424

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: UK to Trigger Article 50 end of March 2017

Postby lion » 02 Oct 2016 15:37

Wait for it !!!!!!!!

All the doom and gloom mongers will be spouting very shortly.
lion

Postby keving » 03 Oct 2016 12:10

lion wrote:Wait for it !!!!!!!!

All the doom and gloom mongers will be spouting very shortly.

Really?????

Seems very quite to me
keving

Postby Firefly » 03 Oct 2016 15:40

Great news.

Keving, don't understand the 'quite' bit, but that said, not much the remainers can do about it now, thank goodness.

Jackie
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
Firefly

Postby lion » 03 Oct 2016 15:58

I think he's been busy writing sharing his views on carpet cleaning and spaying oven doors ;-)
lion

Postby juliesewell » 03 Oct 2016 20:13

Nah! It's not all doom and gloom at all.... but, this posted an hour ago:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-37538459

And, hang on a mo.... wasn't it Boris J who indicated Article 50 would be triggered in early 2017 and more or less got told to keep his trap shut? Maybe the guy does know what's going on with Brexit after all :D
Jules,
Busy exploring England's green & pleasant lands since May 2016 after 12yrs in Cyprus.
Follow my photos here: http://tinyurl.com/PhotographyWeb
juliesewell

Location: Previously Ypsonas, Limassol (Mar 2004 to Apr 2016) Now: Knott End on Sea, UK

Postby keving » 03 Oct 2016 20:29

lion wrote:I think he's been busy writing sharing his views on carpet cleaning and spaying oven doors ;-)

Just out of interest, how do you spay an oven door? (Just in case I should ever want to)
keving

Postby Jim » 04 Oct 2016 05:54

I know this exit disastrous vote will probably go ahead, so what is in it for what is left of the UK's economy? after all those who voted to leave have no idea be honest!, I see no one is giving what they think will happen, so it's not all gloom and doom really?, come on!!
The pound sterling is at a 31 year low this morning (Sky news) with no chance of it rising either, before the vote members here said it would not be affected and if it was it would soon recover, that has not happened, I ask this was the UK any better before we went into the EU and why did they go in? I feel this is a very big mistake for the UK and half the population agrees, so yes there should be doom and gloom, why should anyone be so upbeat about this self made disaster.

We who live in Cyprus permanently at least are still in the EU, like it or not, problem being as I keep on saying is our pensions exchange rates, not good, not good at all..Future is looking bleak in my opinion.. :-q

today's summery Xe.COM.

North American Edition2016-10-03 11:00 UTC
Sterling and CAD were the biggest movers overnight, with the former falling on "hard-Brexit" concerns.

also Sterling has fallen to a three-year low against the euro after Theresa May outlined the timetable for starting Brexit negotiations.
It also hit its lowest level against the dollar since the beginning of July.
On Sunday, the prime minister said she would trigger Article 50, the clause needed to start the process, by the end of March 2017.
That means the UK is likely to leave the EU by mid-2019.
In early morning trade, the pound fell by about 1% against the euro to €1.1433, but it had recovered slightly by late evening.
However, the pound was still down almost 1% against the dollar. At one point it touched $1.2818, its lowest rate since 6 July when it hit $1.2797.

Lets all jump up and down in a joyless dance... :roll:
Jim
Site Admin

Postby ferret » 05 Oct 2016 03:02

Jim if Deutsche Bank and Commerzbank go to the wall and Merkel holds on to "no bail out", you might get your rate of exchange back pretty quickly, the big IF.
ferret
ferret

Postby Jim » 05 Oct 2016 05:38

Yes it is all if's and but's I do not think anyone here actually knows the outcome of all this.

By the way it is not my exchange rate but all of us who actually live on the island and rely on exchanging our pensions to euros..
Jim
Site Admin

Postby juliesewell » 05 Oct 2016 10:32

By our reckoning anyone living on fixed pension income paid in sterling from UK are losing around 20% on the exchange rate just now. How long can that be sustained given all the uncertainty and it could take two and a half years at best to come to fruition? Not a good position to be in I feel....
Lets hope for some positive news and that the rate may climb a bit more.

Other than that we're waiting for the euro to go to 1 for 1 then will pull our remaining funds from our Cyprus accounts and close them down for good.
Jules,
Busy exploring England's green & pleasant lands since May 2016 after 12yrs in Cyprus.
juliesewell

Location: Previously Ypsonas, Limassol (Mar 2004 to Apr 2016) Now: Knott End on Sea, UK

Postby Austin 7 » 05 Oct 2016 10:45

According to news broadcasts the UK is doing particularly well with the lower exchange rate, tourism, exports etc. It's not just about our reduced pensions as expats (even though I am one of them too)
Austin 7

Postby Jim » 05 Oct 2016 10:53

True but what is this site called? this low exchange rate is a disaster for ex-pats living here, the future holds nothing it seems to alleviate this exchange rate woes, if I lived in the UK the exchange rate does not really effect you so much, that is until you fly out to visit Cyprus, many of us do not work on Cy and are at the mercy of this awful time we are about to live through..

Jules in fact the exchange rate was 1.37 before the exit vote, now 1.14..
Jim
Site Admin

Postby Jim B » 05 Oct 2016 11:48

Austin 7 wrote:According to news broadcasts the UK is doing particularly well with the lower exchange rate, tourism, exports etc. It's not just about our reduced pensions as expats (even though I am one of them too)

Well seeing I don't own an export company and I don't own a hotel in the UK I really can't see what benefit to me or my family or friends a lower valued pound is.
JimB
Jim B

Postby keving » 05 Oct 2016 12:29

Austin 7 wrote:According to news broadcasts the UK is doing particularly well with the lower exchange rate, tourism, exports etc. It's not just about our reduced pensions as expats (even though I am one of them too)

Who is this "UK"? I live in the UK and like 90% of the population I dont work for a company that exports. Not only that but 70% of my after tax income is spent on imported goods which are now more expensive.
keving

Postby juliesewell » 05 Oct 2016 16:22

An interesting question?

Broken promises: Who will sign the £350m Brexit NHS cheque?

The Leave campaign promised £350m extra for the NHS after Brexit. But can Darren McCaffrey find anyone at the Tory party conference to sign his health service cheque?

http://news.sky.com/video/broken-promis ... e-10604870
Jules,
juliesewell

Postby clive of payia » 05 Oct 2016 18:54

We haven't left yet and it could be more money to the NHS if we get the right deal. The right deal is continued access to the European market, not the Single Market that is a controlled Customs Union which most traders wish to avoid. Free trading amongst European nations and the wider world, which we cannot do at the moment as we are tied to the EU.
clive of payia

Postby clive of payia » 05 Oct 2016 19:50

News just in about Brexit money for NHS.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/10 ... after-bre/
clive of payia

Postby juliesewell » 05 Oct 2016 20:29

Sounds like the old "robbing Peter to pay Paul" :-?
Take it from the farmers (although they don't get 350m a week) to give to the NHS so who do they take it off next to give a bit more to the farmers? Maybe it will be the pensioners.... or perhaps that's where that £200 WFA saving has been earmarked for?
Jules,
juliesewell

Postby Jim B » 05 Oct 2016 20:58

Your Jeremy Hunt, Clive, a minister in the Nazi, sorry Tory Party was joint author of a book about privatizing the NHS; safe in their hands, I don't think so.

Julie, the Pensioners are designated the fruit and vegetable pickers of the future, work till you drop or as the Nazi's said: "Work Makes You Free".
JimB
Jim B

Postby Firefly » 06 Oct 2016 12:10

One wonders where the money will go that would have been paid into the EU post Brexit. The NHS is at breaking point, my SIL had surgery on his one functioning kidney yesterday am, he was discharged yesterday pm. I was astounded, even 24 hr. obs. surely at the very least, post op, but no.

Jackie
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
Firefly

Postby ferret » 07 Oct 2016 18:07

JimB We are all looking forward to see what the Marxist, sorry Labour party plans are. That's assuming they can stop bickering amongst themselves and actually produce some shadow ministers who stay in post. =))
ferret
ferret

Postby keving » 07 Oct 2016 19:54

clive of payia wrote:News just in about Brexit money for NHS.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/10 ... after-bre/

Let's say that the £3,000m per annum farming subsidies are cut by 50%. That would give £1,500m per annum into the NHS - this works out at £28.8m a week. A far cry from the £350m a week promise that hoodwinked some of the public into voting Brexit.
keving

Postby keving » 11 Oct 2016 21:10

We now know the dark truth about Theresa May's Brexit strategy – her Article 50 timing is deliberately against our interests

May has decided that the business of deploying Article 50 will not be managed around the nation’s best interests, but around the 2020 election, and the consequences will be disastrous. The trade deals were never going to be ready in time

“Democracy,” said Winston Churchill, ”is the worst form of government, except for all the others.”

It would be some years before he added the qualifying observation that, “The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.”

The second thought is one that David Cameron may dwell upon in his old age, which remains a worryingly long way off. In the meantime, his Trotsky-esque erasure from this week’s Conservative Party conference has been as extraordinary as the concomitant rise of the Fourth International in Liverpool last week. A few more “five-minute conversations with the average voter” might have prepared him for what was coming.

But these are rare times, unprecedented perhaps. The most spectacular failure of democracy in a developed nation since before the Second World War.

Democracy is a bad form of government because its methods are blunt, and its timing arbitrary. Once every few years, the people charge the temple with their battering ram and then disperse again for years to come. And the sheer mathematics of time have perhaps never conspired with such misfortune.

Did Cameron have to hold the referendum? Was it a gamble he didn’t need to take? That debate will run forever. But certainly he did it to win the 2015 election. That’s beyond doubt. Sixteen months later, he’s out of office and his party stands ready to roll back the frontiers of all his achievements, few though they were.

Now, this week, is too early for a proud party servant like he to have such thoughts, but years from now, decades even, it is tempting to wonder whether David Cameron himself might come to wonder whether he wouldn't rather have just lost the election.

There will, of course, never, ever be a time when a political party, a political leader, decides an election is one worth losing. All must be subordinated to it. And we now know that Theresa May has decided that the business of deploying Article 50 will not be managed around the nation’s best interests, but around the 2020 election, and the consequences will be disastrous.

The simple mechanism of democracy is meant to safeguard against this. A government that trashes the nation to preserve itself should get voted out. But life is not always simple.

Article 50, we now know, will be deployed by March. That’s when the two year negotiating window will begin. It is widely agreed that two years to negotiate new terms with the European Union is not long enough. Article 50 was designed in this way, to confer advantage on the bloc, not the leaving member. There are presidential elections in France and Germany after that point, effectively writing off a large portion of that precious time.

But Theresa May knows, or rather hopes, that it will mean that the worst of the immediate post-exit horror stories might be out of the way by the time the election comes round. Out of the single market. Out of the customs union. No interim Norway-style arrangement to at least extend the negotiating period, when the palpably obvious becomes palpable reality: that the free trade deals meant to replace our single market membership cannot, will not, and never were going to be completed in anything like the time. What we must have instead is a blitzkrieg attack of economic friendly fire now, so by 2020, some of the smoke has cleared and we’ve all got a bit more used to living among the ruins.

We, on the whole, accept this as part of political culture. The same political culture that compels longstanding political commentators to consider Theresa May “clever” or “shrewd” to place ministers in jobs they are probably not capable of. Historians would call it the “consolidation of power”.

The factors that have conspired to all but guarantee the Conservatives a decade or more of power are not all of their making. Labour’s self-immolation is just that, though for the rise of the SNP, the referendum-happy Cameron is partly culpable.

But when the historians do come to turn their attention to the Tory ascendancy of the early-ish 20th century, the question they will turn to first is whether any of it was worth it at all.

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/the ... 42996.html
keving

Return to Political debate