EU considers plan to let Brits keep EU citizenship

Political debate

Moderator: Admin

Postby Mike Strand » 09 Nov 2016 20:58

The European Parliament is to consider a plan that would allow British citizens to opt-in and keep their European Union citizenship – and its associated benefits – once the UK leaves the EU.

The proposal, which has been put before a parliamentary committee as an amendment, would grant the citizens of former member states the voluntary right to retain “associate citizenship” of the EU.

Associate citizens would be allowed to keep free movement across the EU as full citizens currently enjoy and would be allowed to vote in European Parliament elections, meaning they were still represented in Brussels.

The proposal could potentially give Brits who live and work across borders a workaround to the disruption caused by the Leave vote – and young people looking to flee an increasingly insular UK greater choice over where to move to.

Amendment 882 was proposed by Charles Goerens, a liberal MEP from Luxembourg. It will be considered by the European Parliament’s Constitutional Affairs Committee, which is drawing up a report with recommendations on “Possible evolutions of and adjustments to the current institutional set-up of the European Union”.

Brexit campaigners in Britain reacted with anger to the idea, arguing that it would discriminate against Leave voters and that it was “an outrage”.

image © Provided by Independent Print Limited image The amendment suggests the provision of “European associate citizenship for those who feel and wish to be part of the European project but are nationals of a former Member State; offers these associate citizens the rights of freedom of movement and to reside on its territory as well as being represented in the Parliament through a vote in the European elections on the European lists”.

Though the British Government has been coy on what it wants Britain’s post-Brexit future to look like, it is likely that British citizens will lose the automatic right to live and work in the EU after Brexit.

This is because Theresa May has made clear that she would like to restrict freedom of movement from EU countries to the UK – a policy that would likely be reciprocated by the EU for British citizens.

Jayne Adye, director of the Get Britain Out campaign described the proposal as divisive and said it was “totally unacceptable” for British people to retain the advantages of EU membership. “This is an outrage. The EU is now attempting to divide the Great British Public at the exact moment we need unity. 17.4 million people voted to ‘Leave’ the EU on June 23rd and as a result the UK as a whole will get Brexit,” she said.

“Brexit means laws which impact the people of the UK will be created by accountable politicians in Westminster. It is totally unacceptable for certain citizens in the UK to subject themselves to laws which are created by politicians who are not accountable the British people as a whole.

“Discriminating against people based on their political views shows there are no depths the EU will not sink to.”
------------------------------------------------

WHATEVER!

I wonder how quiet the Brexit camp would be now had the referendum gone the other way. Just as noisy as the current Remainers is my guess 8-|
Fight for what is right!
Mike Strand

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: EU considers plan to let Brits keep EU citizenship

Postby Durian Muncher » 09 Nov 2016 21:24

Any chance of condensing that into a couple of lines of plain Anglais?
Durian Muncher

Postby Happy in Cyprus » 10 Nov 2016 01:50

That would be a very welcome move if it is accepted, particularly by all of us who permanently reside in an EU country.
Happy in Cyprus

Postby keving » 10 Nov 2016 05:59

At first reading, surely this is a very magnanimous gesture by the "horrible Europeans".

Shame Theresa May can't say something similar to EU citizens living and working in the UK to put their minds at rest
keving

Postby TonyJ » 10 Nov 2016 06:27

keving

She has. She has said that EU citizens currently in the UK are welcome to stay, as long as Brits in EU countries are treated in the same way.
Seems fair enough.
TonyJ

Postby keving » 10 Nov 2016 07:14

TonyJ wrote:keving

She has. She has said that EU citizens currently in the UK are welcome to stay, as long as Brits in EU countries are treated in the same way.
Seems fair enough.

She should have confirmed it without qualification. That is what a good leader would have done. Treating EU citizens as bargaining chips shows her up as weak and callous.
keving

Postby Austin 7 » 10 Nov 2016 08:50

keving wrote:She should have confirmed it without qualification. That is what a good leader would have done. Treating EU citizens as bargaining chips shows her up as weak and callous.

Rubbish - it's what is called negotiation!
Austin 7

Postby Wee Stumpy » 10 Nov 2016 08:51

When I read this I thought it must have been April 1st!! Absolutely ridiculous IMHO! How can the EU offer this anyway before the Brexit negotiations even commence?
Shelagh
Wee Stumpy

Postby keving » 10 Nov 2016 09:11

Austin 7 wrote:
keving wrote:She should have confirmed it without qualification. That is what a good leader would have done. Treating EU citizens as bargaining chips shows her up as weak and callous.

Rubbish - it's what is called negotiation!

You are an idiot if you think that Brexit negotiations will boil down to the rights of EU citizens in the UK or coffin dodgers living in the EU.

Statemanship is required.
keving

Postby Lynsab » 10 Nov 2016 09:34

If this is feasible then I think it's brilliant! Expats, workers in the EU and those who like to travel freely within the eu, can choose who we want to be....importantly it shows we prefer being European as well as British...

I need to see what 'associate' means, but I'm up for this as I'm sure a possible 16.4 million and counting would be too...

Amendment 882 would allow British citizens to keep free movement across the EU and give them the right to vote in European Parliament elections, meaning they would still be represented in Brussels.

The proposal suggests the offer of “European associate citizenship for those who feel and wish to be part of the European project but are nationals of a former Member State; offers these associate citizens the rights of freedom of movement and to reside on its territory as well as being represented in the Parliament through a vote in the European elections on the European lists.”
Last edited by Lynsab on 10 Nov 2016 09:36, edited 1 time in total.
Lynsab

Postby clive of payia » 10 Nov 2016 09:36

Something about this that I posted in another place some time ago;

For those UK citizens who love the EU and wish to remain, here are some suggestions and comments to achieve this goal. Good luck to you!

One. Apply for Belgian nationality. When granted, write to your assigned UK Inland Revenue office and ask for your National Insurance forms, Income Tax, OAP and Benefits documents to be stamped "EU Citizen." Thereby opting out of the UK system entirely, and requesting these documents be transferred to the appropriate EU office(s) in Brussels. For those in Cyprus, don't forget to take out Cypriot Citizenship if you have been a permanent resident in Cyprus for more than five years, applies to Malta as well. Now you have retained membership of the EU – but very fortunate that you will reside freely in a democratic UK but, subject to many EU terms and conditions. Nice. Oh, yes, you will be issued with an EU Birth Certificate and a passport with no reference to the UK, other than where you were born.

Two. Without the membership of the UK, the EU is forging ahead with "integration" which really means dictatorship without any vote or referendums, naturally it’s the EU! This means the mass transfer of wealth from the richer EU countries to the poorer ones. There will be soon "one size fits all" EU-wide old age pensions; don't knock it yet, they might be better than the UK one! Don't think so; Greece comes to mind; 60% reduction in their OAP.

Three. With the rapidly failing Euro, the EU will have to raise taxation of all kinds in order to try and save the doomed Eurozone. Following the USSR model, and in keeping with its "one size fits all belief," EU-wide salaries, banded according to your level of education, work or profession, will eventually replace personal taxation. This means that the EU pays you your salary with no deductions; they've already taken those, but it does mean you don't have to pay income tax. Didn't work in the Soviet Union and won't work in the EU but that will not stop them doing it. Mortgages will be a thing of the past for the majority of the EU rent and owning property is seen as very Anglo Saxon and will not be tolerated. The EU commissioners will of course buy and keep lovely little Dacha's hidden away for their wonderfully paid retirements.

Four. Your children and/or grandchildren, if they follow your example and are not registered as British at birth, will love you forever for you have now included them for eligibility for conscription into the new EU Army, Sweden is already considering it. Being an old soldier myself, I have to applaud Sweden for this.

http://sverigesradio.se/sida/artikel.as ... el=6002750

However the new EU Army will not, I am assured, be used to repress their own citizens who have the temerity to challenge the Commission's diktats. So with Brexit there is no possibility in the future of German or French soldiers suppressing delinquent UK citizens, where a certain moustachioed German dictator and a French corporal didn't make it.

Five. Being EU registered with an ID card, you will have no choice should you be arrested by the state police to be held and tried under the EU's Napoleonic Law. Read up on it and you will immediately wish you retained the benefits of the British legal system that the rest of the free English speaking peoples enjoy.

As placards said in the UK during the Brexit campaign – WE LOVE THE EU. Fortunately the majority of us democratically voted to leave before the whole edifice crumbles.
clive of payia

Postby Happy in Cyprus » 10 Nov 2016 10:22

Don't think I understood a word of that - except for the phrase "with the rapidly falling Euro". Looks like Clive's been day-dreaming again ;)
Happy in Cyprus

Postby KG » 10 Nov 2016 10:34

keving wrote:coffin dodgers living in the EU.
More sneering from the left. It is clear you have learned absolutely nothing from the Brexit result or yesterday's election of Trump. Make no mistake these will not be the only shakeups in the world, and the EU especially, in the months to come. Nationalism is on the march and you only have yourselves to blame.
KG

Postby Durian Muncher » 10 Nov 2016 12:53

KG. Your final sentence hits the nail right on the head. Will the sneering stop.....doubt it.
Durian Muncher

Postby zorbathejock » 10 Nov 2016 14:23

Clive of Payia
Could you explain what the British legal system is please bearing in mind that the Scottish and English legal systems are separate? While you are at it, where is Payia?
zorbathejock

Postby Mike.1940 » 10 Nov 2016 14:58

Could be a better idea to get dual citizenship with an Irish passport being half Irish. You could then choose which queue to join when coming back to the UK as it takes a hell of a long time at Gatwick to get through.......just a thought. Born English and wouldn't want to be anything else really.
Mike.1940

Postby Tallulah Savage » 10 Nov 2016 15:03

KG wrote:
keving wrote:coffin dodgers living in the EU.
More sneering from the left. It is clear you have learned absolutely nothing from the Brexit result or yesterday's election of Trump. Make no mistake these will not be the only shakeups in the world, and the EU especially, in the months to come. Nationalism is on the march and you only have yourselves to blame.

And probably never will sadly. I wonder why some on here have to resort to insults when they disagree with something.
Allan, or hey fabulous guy, I answer to both!
Tallulah Savage

Postby keving » 10 Nov 2016 15:09

What's the left got to do with it?
Coffin dodger = pensioner. A mild joke. Only a numpty would take offence
keving

Postby Firefly » 10 Nov 2016 15:14

TS

Presumably because they have insufficient command of the English Language to do otherwise. That said, there are those posters who will always resort to personal insults no matter what, best to rise above it I think.

Jackie
Last edited by Firefly on 10 Nov 2016 16:55, edited 1 time in total.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
Firefly

Postby keving » 10 Nov 2016 15:17

Jackie, as a pensioner myself, I have every right to use self deprecating humour and to refer to pensioners as coffin dodgers. It amuses me any way.
keving

Postby Firefly » 10 Nov 2016 15:19

Yes it would.

Jackie
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
Firefly

Postby Lynsab » 10 Nov 2016 21:29

Not sure why it bothers brexiteers so much. I assume none of them will be applying for Associate Membership of the EU but why should they be worried about others taking advantage of such a scheme. I'd be interested and I'd also be willing to pay the EU for such a concession.

Btw EVERYONE jokes about 'coffin dodgers' ....that jokes been around for years =)) my fabulous extremely active 79 yr old close nieghbour says ' At my age, flowers scare me' :))
Lynsab

Postby Firefly » 11 Nov 2016 12:14

Lynsab

It doesn't bother me one bit what anyone else chooses to do after Brexit, as long as there IS a Brexit, and I'm out. I also don't care who mentions 'coffin dodgers', personally I don't find it particularly funny, but everyone finds different things to be funny. I do however take exception to posters being down right rude and abusive, it has no place on CL as I see it, it is a pathetic attempt to bully other posters into believing what that person says is right, discussion it is not.

Jackie
Firefly

Postby Tallulah Savage » 11 Nov 2016 14:00

Firefly wrote:Lynsab

It doesn't bother me one bit what anyone else chooses to do after Brexit, as long as there IS a Brexit, and I'm out. I also don't care who mentions 'coffin dodgers', personally I don't find it particularly funny, but everyone finds different things to be funny. I do however take exception to posters being down right rude and abusive, it has no place on CL as I see it, it is a pathetic attempt to bully other posters into believing what that person says is right, discussion it is not.

Jackie

:ymapplause:
Allan, or hey fabulous guy, I answer to both!
Tallulah Savage

Postby Lynsab » 11 Nov 2016 21:55

Well I agree, but Jackie who was downright rude, bullying or indeed insulted you...I missed it...someone clapped what you said too...so I'm even more confused...I don't see that abusive post?

There is a coffin dodgers disco in London, there's a coffin dodgers Microsoft game, and a PS4 game....it's a term of endearment in the USA...it's been around for donkeys years...my dad used to say it...and laugh.

Lyn remember we have got there, you might not...Jim
Lynsab

Postby Firefly » 12 Nov 2016 12:44

Lynsab

As I said, maybe you didn't understand, I don't care one jot about silly terms, nor did I say that anyone had insulted me. I will not respond to any other posts on the subject, it is becoming tedious.

Jackie
Firefly

Return to Political debate