Transferwise

All things financial, help and guidance, investments, insurance, etc

Moderator: MarkN

Transferwise

Postby Wee Stumpy » 09 Jul 2015 15:05

Well I did my first transaction with Transferwise on Monday and very pleased with how easy it was! I did not have to provide proof of identity or anything, I could pay by credit/debit card, I could specify the exact amount of Sterling needed to be received ( they charged me a small deposit for this in case rates changed dramatically and the deposit was refunded to me in full the next day) The person who I was sending the money to received it on Wednesday - could not have asked for a better service.
Shelagh
Wee Stumpy

Transferwise

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Transferwise

Postby Admin » 09 Jul 2015 15:08

Hi Shelagh perhaps mention we have several thousand Cyprus residents on CL who may like to use a service like that, tell them we are very reasonable to advertise with, helps us keep CL running.

Thanks
Admin CyprusLiving
Admin
Site Admin

Postby Happy in Cyprus » 09 Jul 2015 15:48

Though I have no experience of other transfer providers - so can't compare - can only say that my experience of Transferwise is also first class. I use them several times each month. They're fast, efficient and inexpensive, though with Richard Branson and other successful entrepreneurs as the founding fathers, it was inevitable that the operation would work well. User interface is nice, clean and user-friendly. Often-times the money arrives the next day. https://transferwise.com/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=EN_EUR_Search_Brand&matchtype=e&network=g&device=c&devicemodel=&creative=56091362817&keyword=transferwise&placement=&adposition=1t1

We send money from our business too...and this required them to have sight of the Companies House documents to start with, but after that sending funds using a business debit card is easy, subject to a pre-defined daily limit.

Just wish we could send funds in the same currency in the same way.
Happy in Cyprus

Postby BigDutch#2 » 09 Jul 2015 15:55

Also use them, easy and hassle free, and costs are clear AND competitive rate. Last transfer(s) I made I was unable to my debit card (Bank of Cyprus), so i had to make a transfer to their Euro account in Latvia (I think) which added an unexpected (small) cost, did you transfer out from Cyprus always with debit card ?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
My opinion; worth price charged.
BigDutch#2

Postby Happy in Cyprus » 09 Jul 2015 16:12

Hi Geoff, most transfers are made from our business account to private individuals overseas and for that I use our business Electron card. I was a bit surprised recently when I tried to send a larger than usual amount and the transction was declined by Hellenic. I was puzzled by this as I knew that there was sufficient funds in the account. However, a quick call to Hellenic the next day established that there was a €1,000 per day limit using an Electron card. So over the next few days I sent a series of smaller transactions and everything then went through OK. I need to investigate the alternative way (with Transferwise) of sending funds from our business account, but you know how it is, you continue to do things the way you always have 8)
Happy in Cyprus

Postby Wee Stumpy » 09 Jul 2015 16:31

Jim I though they did advertise on here as sure that it was a banner advert on here that I got the details from!

Big Dutch - I used my Alpha Bank Debit card and it went through fine although it was for a relatively small amount of 330 sterling.
Shelagh
Wee Stumpy

Postby Pickles » 09 Jul 2015 18:46

I always use Currency Solutions without any problems!

8)
My goal in life is to be as good a person as my dogs already think I am!
Pickles

Postby Admin » 09 Jul 2015 18:49

Like many others on CL I use Currency Fair, cheap and very reliable service .. a great service, and no neither advertise on CL..

Shelagh you may have got the details from another member but they have never advertised on CL....so maybe ask? :) it may help us run CL for a few more years....

I see it this way members recommend a service from a company and free of charge, you may know CL is not free to run, we feel it fair that we do ask recommended companies that we do offer a very reasonable service that would get plenty of viewings, as they do. Times are hard for all business's, CL is not a business but funded from our own pockets.

cheers
Admin CyprusLiving
Admin
Site Admin

Postby KathyL » 09 Jul 2015 20:56

I have also used them and the service has always been first class.
KathyL

Location: Tala, Paphos - too close to the screaming Cypriot woman. Only 1 barking dog.

Postby Wee Stumpy » 10 Jul 2015 05:28

Currency Solutions, Currency Fair etc etc I am sure that they are all good but why I told you about Transferwise was because it to me seemed the very simplest to use AND I could use my credit/Debit card which I don't think you can with many of the others. This is very convenient for me and it means that they get the money immediately rather than waiting for a Bank transfer although of course there is the Bank transfer on the other end.

Morning not wishing to keep bringing this back to the top, I agree sounds good and why I asked maybe you should see if they wish to advertise on CL....please
Shelagh
Wee Stumpy

Postby Rav4man » 10 Jul 2015 10:27

Used Transferwise for the first time last night around midnight. The money was in my UK bank account this morning. That was quick!
"I have nothing to declare except my genius"
Oscar Wilde, New York Customs, Jan 1882
Rav4man

Postby Roy and Yvonne » 10 Jul 2015 11:18

used Transferwise for over a year now it's quick , reliable and cheaper 8)
Roy and Yvonne

Postby Jim » 10 Jul 2015 14:31

Last week transferred 5K sterling for a large purchase, used as always Currency Fair, the charge £3, was yours cheaper or faster? and in my bank next day! less than 20 hours. Sorted after one email!!!!

They are NOT sponsors of CL unfortunately.

https://www.currencyfair.com/
Jim
Site Admin

Postby KathyL » 10 Jul 2015 16:42

One thing for sure is don't use a UK bank. We transferred a relatively large amount for a house purchase using Transferwise and saved literally thousands compared with what our UK bank wanted to charge.
KathyL

Location: Tala, Paphos - too close to the screaming Cypriot woman. Only 1 barking dog.

Postby KathyL » 10 Jul 2015 18:25

Montgomery Bluerose wrote:Not just a UK bank...it's any bank.... :roll:

I am sure your right - I just don't have experience of transferring funds using banks outside the UK.
KathyL

Postby June » 11 Jul 2015 20:33

Can I ask please?... If I wanted to book accommodation in Paphos (one where you pay a small deposit and the balance when you arrive) could I theoretically use such a company to xfer payment from my account to their's or can you only xfer to a Cyprus bank in your own name?
I wouldn't be coming out till Nov and the exchange rate is so good at the mo.
The accommodation accepts wire xfers.
Thanks x
June
June

Postby KathyL » 11 Jul 2015 20:49

I am pretty certain you can transfer to any account as long as you have the IBAN account number.
KathyL

Postby June » 11 Jul 2015 20:54

Thanks Kathy :)
June
June

Postby Roy and Yvonne » 11 Jul 2015 22:40

I Am not getting in to my dad is bigger then your dad , i have had money in the bank within 8 hrs
. JUST GET A QUOTE

My Dad's in heaven!! :roll: Jim (admin)
Roy and Yvonne

Postby uptown girl » 21 Jul 2015 23:34

Thanks Jim, your so solid :-))

Yes solid. Big fat and solid maybe... :-B Jim...
uptown girl

Postby Wee Stumpy » 20 Aug 2015 13:01

I cannot believe that I posted on here a few weeks ago such a glowing review of transferwise - well my opinion of them now has changed dramatically!!
Two days ago I ordered a payment of about €1800 to GBP to a Guy's bank account in England to pay for a holiday. I paid by Debit card - the very same card that I had used for my initial transaction - this way , as they state, the money is received by them immediately. They sent me an e mail to state that the money was received and they were converting it prior to sending to my intended recipient ( same as my previous deal)

This is where it is now stuck some two days later and still not even converted never mind sent out! I e mailed them yesterday and got a very unsatisfactory response in broken english. I rang them today and asked to speak to a manager which was refused. They say it is subject to a random security check which may take another day( never mind the 48 hour guarantee. It also staes that when these security checks are randomly applied then they have to request more verification information from me but they have not done this!!

I am so angry and will never use them again!!
Shelagh
Wee Stumpy

Postby KathyL » 20 Aug 2015 13:17

You could try putting a message on their Facebook page. That will get noticed. Strange as they are usually so good.
KathyL

Postby Happy in Cyprus » 20 Aug 2015 13:38

I must have processed nearly 30 transcations without glitch, using Transferwise. All except the one time where I did not realise there was a €1,000 transaction limit using a particular debit card.

Kathy's suggestion is a good idea, as they will not wish to see adverse comments on their Facebook page.
Happy in Cyprus

Postby Wee Stumpy » 20 Aug 2015 14:12

Yes I think I will put on facebook -thanks for the suggestion. Yes Lloyd I originally tried to use my Hellenic card and they said there was a problem and to ring the no on the back of the card but I did not bother and just changed to my Alpha card which had been used before and it went through fine. I did get a call from the manager at Alpha as I had spent this plus drawn some out plus paid insurance on the same day so he was making sure it was genuine expenditure by me which I think is good service by Alpha bank.
Shelagh
Wee Stumpy

Postby Wee Stumpy » 20 Aug 2015 15:55

I have posted on Facebook and have just had 2 e mails - i apologising and saying the payment should go out later today - the other saying that they needed more proof of my identity - a bill showing my address ( which they had last time), a copy of my passport( never previously requested) and the reason for the transfer ( which I had already put on the request!! )

It seems as though they really do not know what they are doing and I am really angry!
Shelagh
Wee Stumpy

Postby KathyL » 20 Aug 2015 16:06

I would send both emails to [email protected] and bluntly ask them if the left hand knows that the right hand exists.
KathyL

Postby Wee Stumpy » 21 Aug 2015 12:07

Well I am happy to say that finally my payment has been sent - will see how long it now takes to get to the recipient and also how longs it takes for me to get my deposit back.

It seems to me that maybe they have grown a bit too fast and that not all their employees are fully trained yet.

I have to say that I got a very good rate and was charged €9 so not bad but they do guarantee conversion within 48 hours and they failed badly on this.
Shelagh
Wee Stumpy

Postby KathyL » 21 Aug 2015 12:15

Shelagh - I had a slight delay on one of my transfers earlier in the year (computer hitch) and I asked for the fee back and got it promptly and an additional 10%.
KathyL

Postby Wee Stumpy » 21 Aug 2015 12:45

You must have better persuasive powers than me Kathy - I tried very hard but I did get a free transfer next time and that was it!
Shelagh
Wee Stumpy

Postby Wee Stumpy » 10 Sep 2015 13:37

Well I was asked to do a review on transferwise and I believe that the one I did was fair and honest and I did receive an apology from them.

Imagine my surprise therefore when I received a strange envelope in the post this morning. It was yellow and appeared to have something soft inside - actually it reminded me of when I worked in the civil service and we had a similar strange package that we had to get the bomb squad to and evacuate the building!! On that occasion if I remember correctly it was a cake that some satisfied pensioner had sent to us!
On this occasion I do believe it was a very squashed and melted nougat bar with a Sorry note from Transferwise.
Note to Transferwise - do not send these to hot countries!!!
Shelagh
Wee Stumpy

Return to Mark Nowell's Financial Section