Management Committee or not

Advice and help on property matters, ask your questions here.

Moderator: Nigel-Howarth

Postby tsadapeter » 02 Dec 2016 17:25

The new series of articles in "Cyprus Property News" – like most other publications – just assumes that development has a management committee (MC). So, in a way, does the law.
I wonder, however, what the situation is, if there is no properly constituted MC?

In our small development (8 units) things have been handled very casually in the past. At the odd meeting (sometimes minuted, sometimes not – sometimes with a quorum, sometimes not) it was agreed who would look after things
An how much everybody would contribute. And in a way it worked ok. Almost all neighbours seem to think that doing orderly invitations for AGMs, minuting and a very few further formalities
are unnecessary…

However, the till is empty and nobody is inclined to pay more, so there are no reserves for surprises (pool equipment etc). There is no block insurance and no insurance for 3rd party liability.

I just wonder what the situation would be if either an earthquake doing damage to the pool, some dilapidated equipment or structure causing damage to on of us or indeed some holiday guest coming to harm
Because the pool surrounds are not safe (leave alone a guard). I am sure that any attempt to make “informal committee members” to task would be futile
Can you advise what the legal consequences would be in any such case for one or all of us and how one could go about the issue if talk (tried that for eight years now) does not go anywhere? Possibly w7o going to court?

Thanks
tsadapeter

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Management Committee or not

Postby Nigel-Howarth » 02 Dec 2016 19:44

Hi tsadapeter

I expect that all the owners will be held jointly liable if anything untoward happens.

And if there is no money to maintain and repair the structure, the market value of the properties will fall as they deteriorate.

If owners are unable/unwilling to set up a 'proper' management committee, you can ask the Land Registry:

"The Director of the Department of Lands & Surveys has the power and/or the obligation to intervene in matters concerning the management of any jointly-owned building only upon an application lodged with any District Lands Office and upon payment of the relevant fees by the applicant/owner of any unit."

The 'relevant fees can be found at http://www.news.cyprus-property-buyers. ... v-2016.pdf

Regards,
Nigel Howarth
Free independent information for Cyprus property buyers.
Ask your property questions on my Cyprus Property Forum.
Read the latest news at Cyprus Property News.
Nigel-Howarth
Own Section Moderator

Return to Nigel Howarth's Property Advice