Harbour Construction Work

Members pictures and history on new harbour construction work, circa 2008

Moderator: Admin

Postby zozzle25 » 16 Jun 2008 20:35

What's the weather like in Paphos at the moment? We're coming out for the first week of July and are hoping it will be hot hot hot like it was last year!
zozzle25

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Macattack » 16 Jun 2008 20:47

Forecast for this Thursday is 89 degrees!!

Is that hot enough?
Ian

Lang may your lum reek.
there - place; their - possessive; they're - they are
Macattack

Postby littleplum » 18 Jun 2008 09:02

Hello Trevor

I am joining the many hundreds of readers wishing you well for the future and to thank you for the sterling work done, it is truly appreciated.

Thanks also to others who have contributed during the run of this epic.

Colin
littleplum

Postby trevnhil » 18 Jun 2008 14:43

Thank you all for your added comments since I last posted. I do read all posts (retired now) and they are appreciated.

Best wishes. Trev..
trevnhil

Postby binkyBOOGE » 18 Jun 2008 18:09

THREE CHEERS FOR TREV.!!
Thank you Trev. Expect heaps of posts begging you to come out of 'retirement' when building work on the marina begins. :)
Judi x
binkyBOOGE

Postby zozzle25 » 20 Jun 2008 12:57

89 degrees sounds good but it was over 100 degrees last July and that was fantastic so i've got my fingers crossed it's going to get hotter in the next two weeks!
zozzle25

Postby kili1 » 21 Jun 2008 19:23

Zozzle,
So just why do you like weather with temps over 37c (100F)? We've just had a couple of days of that sort of weather... The sun is too hot for sunbathing - unless you want to fry or get sunstroke. Cyprus is desperately short of water this year. Very high temps and low humidity means that the remaining water in the dams will evaporate more quickly, meanwhile plants in gardens which are already getting little of no irrigation this year just shrivel & die. Most residents in Cyprus are also subject to savage water cuts. Very high temperatures also mean an increased use of electricity to run air conditioners which is not good for the environment.

I can't think of any good reason for wanting very high temperatures, there is still wall to wall sun day after day here irrespective of temperature.

Dee
kili1

Postby zozzle25 » 22 Jun 2008 15:28

We're coming to Cyprus for a summer holiday and to be honest I always say the hotter the better - I have never suffered from sunstroke, in Cyprus or any other countries but just to be able to lay in the heat makes a lovely change from being in the the UK (eg miserable weather and cold temperatures) which is why we look forwards to it so much!
zozzle25

Postby Admin » 23 Jun 2008 08:17

I think last Thursday and Friday were the hottest June days I can remember, I never normally post thermometer temps but it read 40c in the shade, this is too hot for anyone with half an ounce.. 8) certainly for me anyway!!

If you need to see local weather go to webcam page..

http://cyprusliving.org/webcam/webcam.php
Admin
Site Admin

Postby Milly » 23 Jun 2008 22:04

Boo Hoo! :cry: don't expect to be there until at least October, and will have missed all the best weather for this year. Ah well there's always next year........... :) and the year after that........ :D and the year after that.......... :lol: and the year after that....... :smt044

Cheers

Milly
When two people keep agreeing, one of them isn't thinking - Oscar Wilde
Milly

Postby Jim » 24 Jun 2008 07:25

Best weather? you think this is the best weather, Sept or October are the times to be here, this is just purgatory.. :cry:
Jim
Site Admin

Postby Milly » 24 Jun 2008 10:51

I love the heat Jim, I haven't worn shorts or a skirt in the UK in years, much too cold, can't wait to soak up the sun. I daresay it's different when you are in that sort of temperature week after week, it probably does get a bit wearing, but you won't ever hear me complain, especially as it means you can wander around late at night in a T shirt and shorts, something you can never do in the UK.

Good to know there will still be some warm weather in October as I have never been to Cy at that time of year. Now, if I can just get my boys to shift their ar**s and find somewhere to live......

Cheers

Milly
When two people keep agreeing, one of them isn't thinking - Oscar Wilde
Milly

Postby Jim » 24 Jun 2008 11:58

November & September and even early December, summers here go on and on!! we hope though this Autumn we get some much needed rain, this goes without saying, it is no getting desperate, the beach will come second I am afraid.
Jim
Site Admin

Postby trevnhil » 27 Jun 2008 15:49

Good Afternoon all. I was down on the promenade today and surprise surprise I found that I had my camera with me!! :roll: :lol:

So I thought I would take a couple of pics. The Cafe / changing area on the seaward side is nearly ready. Wrapped tables and chairs are inside, and people seem to be using the showers and changing area. Access is still not allowed in some areas, because as you can see they are laying a large are of hardwood decking.

Hopefully it will all be ready within a week or two.

As you can see the kiosk at the harbour end is open and trading.

And what you can't see is that the area is STILL not open to one way traffic.

And before I sign off there was one pic of the Guy just making sure that his partner didn't fall backwards. :lol:

Best Wishes from Trev..
Last edited by trevnhil on 27 Jun 2008 16:17, edited 1 time in total.
trevnhil

Postby jagwheels » 27 Jun 2008 16:17

You cannot stop the paparazzi :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks again Trev and glad you are enjoying retirement :wink:

Norv
jagwheels

Postby Charnwood Fox » 27 Jun 2008 20:58

trevnhil wrote:surprise surprise I found that I had my camera with me!!
Cobblers!! I knew you wouldn't resist it for long. :lol: :lol:

If I tried that with Trish in public I'd end up with 3 cracked ribs!!
Charnwood Fox

Postby Macattack » 27 Jun 2008 21:30

Hi Trev,

Let's face it, you have a knack for the perfect picture!!!!
Ian

Lang may your lum reek.
there - place; their - possessive; they're - they are
Macattack

Postby el tel » 07 Jul 2008 08:32

Went down to the harbour yesterday and there is now access for vehicles at the harbour end. There were a number of vehicles parked around the municipal swimming area, so I can only see this getting worse. One shopkeeper was berating a motorist for driving on the front but he was ignored. 8 cars this Sunday any bets how many next Sunday ?

terry
el tel

Postby trevnhil » 07 Jul 2008 08:54

Hi Terry. Thanks for the news update. I will have a look when i am next down there. A picture of a steady stream of traffic would be good.
However if they do let traffic through I can see it being bedlam. Private cars and Taxis will stop to pick up or drop off passengers, making others drive around them. People will park up to go in the shops, "I will only be a sec:".
It will be interesting, to say the least.

Regards. Trev..
trevnhil

Postby Jim » 07 Jul 2008 10:11

It was posted originally Trev that there would be one way traffic..
Jim
Site Admin

Postby trevnhil » 07 Jul 2008 12:33

Yes I certainly remember that Jim. And although it was reported that cars were driving down there at the weekend, there were no private cars driving along there today, only scooters and contractors vehicles.

I took one or two pics which I will put on later.

Regards. Trev..
trevnhil

Postby Jim » 07 Jul 2008 17:33

I like that decking!! expensive here.
Jim
Site Admin

Postby lesleyK1 » 08 Jul 2008 15:07

Hi Trevor

Pictures are fine on my PC and up to your usual high standard. Thanks for the update. It's "a bit too hot" down the harbour for me at present and it is nice to see whats going on down there.

Regards
Lesley
lesleyK1

Postby trevnhil » 08 Jul 2008 15:12

Hi Lesley. Thank you for confirming that when you click on the pictures, all you get is the full size picture as usual.

Gordon... I do recommend that you look at your computer to see what you have on it.

Best wishes. Trev..
trevnhil

Postby zozzle25 » 14 Jul 2008 13:37

I've just got back from Paphos and was pleased with some of the changes, the pedestrianised area by the Harbour in particular (it was nice not to have to try and dodge through the traffic to get from one side of the road to the other!) much quieter (and nicer) although we were disappointed that we couldn't see any work being started for the marina - does anybody know when this will start?
zozzle25

Postby Jim » 14 Jul 2008 18:26

Last week!!! :?
Jim
Site Admin

Postby zozzle25 » 14 Jul 2008 19:11

We must have just missed it then (we got back on Thursday!)
zozzle25

Postby trevnhil » 15 Jul 2008 16:09

Good afternoon all. I was down at the harbour / promenade at today and boy was it hot out in the sun. Some changes have occurred since I was last there.
At the "Seagull" end I believe a barrier is in place, which has already been broken once. Due to the heat I did not go to that and for a picture.

However you will see from the first picture that at least two of the Cafes have taken over a very large are in front of their tiled forecourts. Tables and chairs are out covered with large umbrellas. Whether this is "with permission" I do not know. But it seems strange that only a couple of weeks ago you were not allowed even to put an A board sign out. Surely ow others will follow suit, unless a good payment has to be made.

At the other end or the prom ie "Rose Corner"..... The cafe there is open for business. But it is now called Harbour Cafe.

At the road junction where you turn left for Paps or Debenhams, you are now allowed to go straight ahead. This road seems to be one way and it is for access to the harbour car park, and for buses and general deliveries. Where you went into the car park for the last 8 months there are no entry signs. This is where you come out of the one way road through the car park. Some are disregarding this no entry, possibly because it has been the only car park entrance for so long.
There is also a green taxi rank, and a blue bus bay, that you can see in the pictures.

Please add any more news if you have any.

Best wishes. Trev
trevnhil

Postby Christine&Donald » 15 Jul 2008 16:21

Hi Trev

Gald to see that you got to Rose's corner and took some photo's for me as requested. It looks good down there. Glad to hear that it is hot there as here in Glasgow it is windy and cold. Photos are great as always, makes me wish I was back there. Will need to wait a while before I see it for myself.

Love Christine xx :smt007
Be happy and keep smiling.......
Christine&Donald

Postby trevnhil » 15 Jul 2008 16:38

Hi both. I am glad that you like the pics. I put them on just for you :lol: :wink: So that I would save the stamp on the Email. :lol:

When I said hot, I meant really too hot. The maximum in the shade in Polemi was 35.3c or 96.5f.......Pheww.

Best wishes. Trev..
trevnhil

Postby el tel » 15 Jul 2008 21:13

Hi Trev

Interesting to see pics 5 and 6 with the barriers there , the last few Sundays I have been at the harbour they were not there.

terry
el tel

Postby trevnhil » 15 Jul 2008 21:45

Hi Terry. Yes in Number 6 the car is exiting through a gap in the Bollards. This is needed for the contractors vehicles to get in as well. But a certainty is that there is no general flow of traffic through the pedestrian way.

Regards. Trev..
trevnhil

Postby Keo AL » 16 Jul 2008 12:45

This thread has made an absolutely fascinating read- and I cannot thank Trev enough for all the time and trouble he's gone through in making these wonderful regular reports with all those superb photos!

I'm still watching this thread with interest, trying to fathom out just how the traffic is going to be flowed, now that this section is all pedestrianised.

Over on the Paphos Post board, I've been playing around with the CTO Paphos Town tourist Map, (learning about Paint Shop Pro at the same time)- aiming to 'update' it and correct the many inaccuracies. The main challenge was editing the new dual-carriageway in; this looks quite good now.

The 'black hole' remains Poseidonos Ave, which was a yellow 'Through-Route' all the way down to it's junction with Apostolos Pavlou near the harbour. So far, the best I've been able to manage is to 'pedestrianize' the relevant section, then paint the road white up the hill to the Iasonos junction.

If there's some sort of One-Way system planned for the little side streets behind the new pedestrian stretch, I'd like to know- so I can add all the little arrows in, LOL!

Going slightly off topic, on 'our' map- I've also added some graphics to make the Donkey Sanctuary / Dogs Home stand out. Also added something else to that site- something that was clearly shown on 1988 maps and prior, then mysteriosly vanished: The Shrine of Apollo

This Ancient Antiquity is still there. Now I wonder why it vanished off the tourist map 20 years ago? In preparation for Paradise 5, maybe?

Cheers- AL
Keo AL

Postby scottishsuzee » 18 Jul 2008 03:53

:D :D So Glad to see all the pics on here. We goto Paphos again in about 10 days time and i can't wait to see everything, we've been going every year since 1996 and love the place. We stay in an appartment by McDonalds.
can anyone tell me if the restaurant/bar 'Oasen' is still up and running as we have friends that own it and we go every year it's across the road from where the public swimming pool is..and if anyone has any pics?
Thanks xxx
scottishsuzee

Postby trevnhil » 18 Jul 2008 08:41

Hi Suzee. Welcome to CyprusLiving. Even though you joined a little while back, I see that this is your first post. I have not noticed the venue you mention, but very few names seem to be above the cafes etc. Here is a pic of the area so you may be able to spot the place you refer to.
http://www.postimage.org/image.php?v=Pq1wRAw9

Best wishes. Trev..
trevnhil

Postby maddyd » 18 Jul 2008 18:14

We are coming to Paphos again in October for the fifth time in two years - we love it. The only thing is we booked the Porto Paphos Hotel and today First Choice have said we can't go due to health and safety problems with the Harbours works. Looking at the photos from May I could understand it. But it is now July and we don't go for another 11 Weeks.

Can anyone help me? What is the Porto Paphos entrance like? What is the sea area/road like outside the hotel at the moment?. Please please help

Update - we have had to change Hotels :cry:
But the good news is we are going to the Pioneer :D even though it is further out. We are really looking forward to seeing the new seafront. Thanks for all your excellent Photos Trev.

One goog thing has come out of this transfer..... I found Cyprus Living website. I am really enjoying reading all the threads. It makes me feel as though I am there. Thanks to everyone.

Maddy
maddyd

Postby Rachel M » 05 Aug 2008 19:34

Hi

We came back from a great holiday in Pafos yesterday 8) :( and I can confirm that there is now seating on the pedestrianised section of the harbour!! :shock: Before you get too excited though it is a few benches dotted along cast out of concrete with wooden seats. They're not secured down though and people have already started moving them so they can put their feet up on an opposite bench. :oops:

It was so nice to be back in Pafos (we were last there 2 years ago). We felt that the harbour is so much better now that there are no cars whizzing up an down with fumes in your face as you eat.

I'd just like to thank Trev for all his great photos which have kept us going while we waited in anticipation.

Rachel :D
Rachel M

Postby trevnhil » 05 Aug 2008 19:46

Hi Rachel. Many thanks for the update. Seating at last, so at least that seems to mean that there will be seating along there even if the ones you have seen are temporary.

Where are your pictures???????? :lol: :lol:

Only joking....... Trev..
trevnhil

Postby Rachel M » 06 Aug 2008 20:21

Trev.

I honestly hang my head in shame as I stupidly didn't get a photo of the benches. :oops: :rolleyes: I took photos of everything else though!! (like the tree with the hankies on it which is a little bizzare - I bet the fella in the kiosk is loving it though ) :lol:

Looks like I'll have to go back and do my duties - now where's my passport? :lol:

Rachel :D
Rachel M

Postby garry » 09 Aug 2008 14:12

Hi all, this is my first ever post on here, and can i say that i found this site a great help in finding out what has been happening in Pafos, and being able to see all the photo`s has been tremendous, so a big thank you to every one.

We were in Pafos for a week from the 23rd July and saw the improvements ourselves, and along the front is now a much nicer walk, apart from the touts, they seem to have bred like rabbits, so be warned.

We too were supposed to be staying at the Porto Pafos, but as we always book direct, we did not find out about its closure until the Thursday before we flew out on the Weds, so we managed to book into the Avanti, which was very nice indeed.

We have been to Pafos for about five years now and love it, and have always stayed at the Porto pafos, we went to see George (the manager) and he told us that it will re-open in March 09

As of typing this, its only 4 weeks until we return to Pafos for another 10 nights and cannot wait

Garry
garry

Postby Keo AL » 16 Aug 2008 18:16

It seems this information must be a closely-guarded State Secret, then?

Cheers- AL :roll:
Keo AL

Which way?

Postby littleplum » 16 Aug 2008 20:10

I wonder if the authorities are watching the locals, seeing which way they go, what they do.
Then at a later date implement a plan very similar to what is in use now?
Mmmm

Colin[/b] :D

4 weeks 3 days
I may not always be right but, I am never wrong
littleplum

Postby trevnhil » 18 Aug 2008 21:57

Hi Cliff. Welcome to CyprusLiving. The car park is open as usual and the entrance is just as before. The only Difference is that as you go past the street where Papantonios and Debenhams are you will go through a gap in the new kerbs. You cannot (as far as I know) turn left to go down the promenade. You go onto the car park that way and come out by the higher exit.

Good luck. Trev..
trevnhil

Postby Molly » 19 Aug 2008 08:38

Been down Kato a few times lately and havent seen any touts.... thank goodness!!
Molly
Molly

Postby Admin » 20 Aug 2008 14:11

Hi Kelly well you have posted on one of our many sub sections, the forum is really the place to post general questions & answers but great to meet you and welcome to CyprusLiving...have fun

Jim
Admin
Site Admin

Postby trevnhil » 19 Sep 2008 16:19

Good Afternoon All. I thought that it was time that I put on a few more pictures to update everyone. As a lot of you will know the new promenade is now open to one way traffic. I took some pictures at lunch time and it seemed, mainly to be working. Perhaps because it was lunchtime it did not seem too busy. There are a few "parking bays" which have notices to tell drivers that they are for delivery vehicles only. But of course this being Cyprus it seems that private cars are using them as well.
There does sometimes seem a problem when someone just parks on the roadway and pops in a shop. There is just about room for other cars to get past....... but not buses!!!.
When you get to the end of the prom you have to turn LEFT and I assume go round the car park to get out again. Buses can turn right, and I think they should have put in a mini roundabout and let all traffic turn right.

So, here are the pictures.

Best wishes. Trev..
trevnhil

Postby trevnhil » 18 Jan 2009 19:47

Hi Aol. Remember me.????? I was down at the harbour / promenade a couple of days ago ad took some pics.

So here they are...

Cheers All. Trev..
trevnhil

Previous

Return to Harbour construction work 2008