Harbour Construction Work

Members pictures and history on new harbour construction work, circa 2008

Moderator: Admin

Postby trevnhil » 11 May 2008 20:45

Hi McIngy. If quite large amounts of water come onto the cobbles, it should not get to the shops. There are drains at regular intervals down the middle of the "roadway".
However where the drains go to I do not know.......... out to sea?? :roll:

Regards. Trev..
Last edited by trevnhil on 11 May 2008 21:02, edited 1 time in total.
trevnhil

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby trevnhil » 11 May 2008 21:11

I have to agree with what you say re the large volumes of water. However an 18" high wall would only stop a small amount........

And as I remember it that's all that was there before they started the works. Others who have been here longer than I could perhaps comment upon whether the seafront shops have ever been flooded??

And although some of us may not agree 100% with what has been done, we must assume a responsible person planned all this. :roll:

Comment galore now I expect. :lol:

Regards. Trev..
trevnhil

Postby Derektee » 11 May 2008 22:56

Captians view were moving tables and chairs in last week when I was there, inside seemed to geta bit of a face lift too, so looks like they will be open soon to find out, shame I wont be back for a while to witness sunset from a table up there :cry:
Derek
Derektee

Postby trevnhil » 12 May 2008 07:41

Good Morning Derek. If you have a look at last Fridays pics again you will see that they were open with people dining.

Best wishes. Trev..
trevnhil

Postby KG » 12 May 2008 08:37

A number of the shop owners are concerned about the lack of a guard rail and, more to the point, the lack of protection from storms, which are quite common in winter, but 'Nicosia' knows best :(

Owners are still squabbling over the provision of the new verandas, which are going to cost them a lot of money.

There is a planning issue problem with the street lights (which will go on the bases that lie under the cobbles at the purple marked spots) but they will be installed before too long.

The regularly spaced cut-outs are currently filled with polystyrene foam (which makes them great for anglers to insert the rod rests) but which can be removed to leave a large rectangular excavation - probably for the extensive seating which is to be provided.

I am told that traffic will be allowed on the promenade - running one way from the harbour towards Yeroskipou - and the block work will be extended in the next phase of the redevelopment. Traffic will not be permitted to stop :lol: :lol: :lol:

Last edited by KG on 13 May 2008 06:19, edited 1 time in total.
KG

Postby lush » 12 May 2008 17:19

We had a stroll down there on Saturday and was very impressed. It will be a real shame if they allow traffic down there. I would be very surprised if it's all finished by 16th May. The shops and restaurants are in a real mess. Rose Corner and The Moorings have been completed gutted. We had lunch at one of the restaurants opposite the toilets by the municpal bathing area. Never liked the look of them before, but now the facia actually finishes at the wall and does not just out, so now it is proper outside dining available and the inside looked very nice too. There is also a brand new ice cream parlour called Movenpick, which of course we had to try, purely for research of course. Ice cream was yummy and some unusual flavours like white chocolate and apricot.
lush

Postby Derektee » 13 May 2008 02:57

Yeah, I see the diners now on closer inspection of you pics Trev. Didn't enlarge all of your photos this time as I had seen the real thing for myself last week when it looked as though they were gettin geared up to open. So see you in the Cap'ns next time then for that Keo :wink:
Derek
Derektee

Postby trevnhil » 13 May 2008 08:24

:cheers: :lol: :wink:

Cheers. Trev..
trevnhil

Postby trevnhil » 14 May 2008 18:21

Hi al. I was down at the harbour area this afternoon and it would seem that a number of the shops are having the extensions erected at the front.
You can see the one which was on Fridays pictures, but there is a lot of grey steelwork ready for construction.

But if they can all afford CY£25,000 that suprising to me.

Regards. Trev..
trevnhil

Postby Mike P » 14 May 2008 23:53

Trev,

Superb job your doing.
Great Pics, we have enjoyed the weekly updates.

We are currently up for sale in UK (Have been for 3 months)
and awaiting a sale (Don't hold your breath)

We will then be off to Paphos just as soon as.....

In the meantime, we are popping over for a weeks holiday 15th June.
We can't wait to see the harbour area for ourselves.

Thanks again for keeping us updated Trev.

Mike P
Mike P

Postby tanny » 14 May 2008 23:57

Yes Trev, the pics are top notch and keep folk in touch, well done and thanks..
Follow your dream, dont lets the clouds guide you!
tanny

Postby trevnhil » 16 May 2008 16:02

Hi All. Well here are the Friday pictures for this week. Some of them are similar to previous weeks, but you can still see some progress in the work being done. However the number of people in the overall work force seems to have dwindled and the work does not seem to be i any hurry.

They have uncovered the places where the lamp standards are going. You can see them in one of the pics with cones in the holes.

At the Seagull end the work is continuing on the seaward block of buildings, creating a lot of dust on the diners and dinners.

As you will see the covered areas at the front of their shops at the Rose corner end is well under way. I understand that the Mayor recently paid a visit and some of the shopkeepers made it known that they were not happy. I have no details but I would guess that the £25,000 may have something to do with it.

I also met another couple from the UK today, Phil and Pat Wild. They agreed that it was all an improvement, and like me were surprised how far from ready some places still are.

Enjoy the pictures........

It would be interesting to see some pictures when we have the first big storm :roll:

Enjoy the pics, and have a good weekend where ever you are.

Best wishes. Trev..
trevnhil

Postby Lesley Wakeling » 16 May 2008 17:35

Thank you for the pictures Trev and you too have a good weekend

8) 8) 8)

Lesley
Lesley Wakeling

Postby tracynh69 » 16 May 2008 17:39

Thanks for the great pictures again, we'll be out to see for ourselves tomorrow for three weeks :) Although I was pleased to see the pictures I was even more happy to see the sun shining as the last few days it hasn't looked very good on the web cam :?
Hope to spot Trev next Friday :)
Tracy X
tracynh69

Postby djs » 16 May 2008 18:09

Hi Trev
We were down in Paphos harbour today walking about, but we didn't see you!! Oh well there is always another week.
Our apartment is on the sea front and since your photos were taken there has been considerable arguments going on. The police and I assume council or someone in a similar capacity have been down the front and taking the green canopys down from the shop fronts. Also it would appear some shops have closed too. This happened around 1400 today.
They are now drilling into the forecourts of the shops and messing up the tiling they have done and are putting some kind of structure in.
djs

Postby trevnhil » 17 May 2008 09:08

Good Morning DJS. After I had taken the pictures yesterday I returned home shortly after to put them on the Forum. However, my Daughter and her husband returned a little later. They told a similar story to the one you saw. They said that a shop owner / renter was chopping the tiling up at the front of the shop. Did they take a picture??? No.!! So I don't know if it was an odd tile here or there. Or if he wanted to re tile the lot??

I will have a look next time I am down that way. If anyone else is down there...... Take a few pictures, and let us all see.

Best wishes. Trev..
trevnhil

Postby Jim » 17 May 2008 09:17

Trev was probably lurking under a pile of bricks!! :lol:
Jim
Site Admin

Postby djs » 17 May 2008 09:59

This morning there seems a bit more activity with the work. It now looks like they might be fitting lighting towards Rose corner end. Yesterday some of the shops had their canopys removed have managed to replace them already! What they are doing now is fitting bases for permanent extensions similar to the ones from the Captains View upto Rose corner.
We spoke to a shop owner yesterday who had his canopy removed and he told us it costs him 60,000 Euros a year rent and that DOES NOT include utilities or the extensions they are currently fitting.
I wish I could have taken some photos, but if had I don't know if I could have downloaded them as I am using an internet cafe.
A final point the weather for those that are coming over soon is a much warmer and less windy day today.
djs

Postby el tel » 17 May 2008 11:30

As well as a photographer we now have an on site reporter ! :lol:
el tel

Postby tonto » 18 May 2008 03:32

Im hoping the off licence across from Debenhams still sells Irn Bru! As for scotch, the only people that calls it that are non scots, its whiskey!

From the daughter of a grouse drinker
Gill
tonto

Postby KG » 18 May 2008 08:57

I was glad to see that the local authority is getting heavy with traders who even before the work was finished were making the place look like a tatty street market, and had drilled holes in the new tiling to erect cheap and nasty green tents. One of the restaurants at the opposite end to the harbour had spread onto the cobbles almost blocking the available footpath and has been moved back to his forecourt. At the other end, the holes in front of the shops are for the footings for the new verandas (see Trev's pictures), which will provide a welcome uniform appearance.

This heavy handedness bodes well for keeping the area from being turned into a car park when traffic is allowed to enter again. Larnaca manages to keep its promenade largely free of parked vehicles so Paphos should be able to manage something similar with the aid of a few traffic wardens.

Only one shop (the Corner Cafe) has had the tiles dug up in front of the premises in order to relay them. This is a premises that liked to spread out to the public area so maybe the owner has had his wings clipped also?

Almost all the cobbles are now laid (just a few remaining in front of the Portopafos Hotel) but they will undoubtedly be finished by Monday, which should be a relief for the owners of the hotel.

Some temporary street lighting is being erected. It seems that the old lights had not been scrapped, so the posts have been fitted with new bases and flood-light heads. I should imagine they will be working by mid-week given the current rate of progress. The problems with the new lights will take rather longer to resolve.

tonto wrote:As for scotch, the only people that calls it that are non scots, its whiskey!
From the daughter of a grouse drinker
Gill
Actually it is whisky - 'whiskey' comes from Ireland.
KG

Postby Charnwood Fox » 18 May 2008 09:34

KG wrote:Larnaca manages to keep its promenade largely free of parked vehicles
ImageImage
From the Sunhall Hotel to the fort it is nose-to-tail parked cars on the land side with occasional double parking of busses and delivery vehicles.
The side streets off Athens Avenue (the prom) are sometimes impassable due to cars parked on both sides and delivery drivers pulling up to deliver, blocking the street; busses unable to pass due to inconsiderate parking.

Methinks Finnikoudes (the prom) is not a good role model:
You can see the nose-to-tail parking and double parking in the above picture, plus the constant stream of traffic.
Pedestrianized it ain't! :roll:
Last edited by Charnwood Fox on 18 May 2008 10:08, edited 1 time in total.
Charnwood Fox

Postby trevnhil » 18 May 2008 09:39

At least there is plenty of width now on Paphos prom. But like Graham and others, I hope that it does not become one big car park. There are already mopeds (time share?) and Quad bikes.

Regards. Trev..
trevnhil

Postby KG » 18 May 2008 11:50

Oh dear :( It's a while since I have been to Larnaca (that's next week's trip out sorted ;) ) and last time I was there traffic wardens were keeping it clear - and a neighbour of mine was fined for parking there. I guess it was too good to last. I don't have a lot of confidence that Paphos will manage any better :(

Talking of time share - I see the plague was well in evidence on Coral Bay Road this morning :(
KG

Postby djs » 18 May 2008 12:58

The street lights are now in position from Rose Corner upto MacDonalds. They are not in use yet as I suppose they will wait until they are all in position. Does anyone know if they will have their festival/carnival for the Bank Holiday weekend?
djs

Postby Charnwood Fox » 18 May 2008 15:30

Graham, wardens do occasionally have a purge.
Very bad timing by your neighbour.
Charnwood Fox

Postby trevnhil » 18 May 2008 15:41

DJS said......."The street lights are now in position from Rose Corner upto MacDonalds. They are not in use yet as I suppose they will wait until they are all in position."

I wonder if they need a celeb to switch them on?? :lol: :lol: :lol:

:wink: Trev..
trevnhil

Postby Charnwood Fox » 18 May 2008 19:14

Don't let all the publicity go to your head, sunshine! :wink:
Charnwood Fox

Postby trevnhil » 18 May 2008 19:43

Mark........ If you were over here you would know that it is the sunshine that goes to your head. I need to wear a cap, because I haven't as much thatch as you.

Shall I get my coat?? Trev.. :lol: :lol:
trevnhil

Postby frank » 18 May 2008 23:53

Great pictures trev and nice to see updates every friday 8)
frank

Postby Jim » 19 May 2008 06:04

Blimey Trev you have made a big stick for your back, hope you can cope especially with your new house on the way..
Jim
Site Admin

Postby trevnhil » 19 May 2008 14:16

Hi All..... Jim, problems re the new build. But that is another story!!

A few extra pictures this week taken by "Christine & Donald" who are CL members staying with us.

The pics were taken yesterday afternoon and evening. You can see the white gravel at the base of the trees. The new shop extensions. Tiling to the front of one shop which seems to be different than the others. Oh!! and a good trip hazard.

Then there are the new lamps to light your way as you "promenade".

Or maybe not as the case may be as they do not seem to work yet.

As you can see it is the new style lights that have been put up. I have no idea when they will be switched on........ Maybe some one can shed a little light on the subject. :lol:

Best wishes. Trev.. in the sun.
trevnhil

Postby Shell » 19 May 2008 21:55

Hi Trev,

Just wanted to say thanks so much for all your hard work! i have not been to cyprus yet but am so looking forward to my first trip in august and you have a lot to do with this mainly due to the hype this forum has brought on honestly fantstic work long may it stay as i don't know what i will do on a Friday when it stops!! :lol:
Shell

Postby trevnhil » 19 May 2008 22:11

Hi Shell. Thank you for adding your comments to the others. I enjoy putting the photos on, even though it does take a few hours in total.

I hope that you enjoy your visit in August, and remember there are many other places as well as the Harbour area.

Here is an as yet unused picture to keep you keen.

Best Wishes. Trev..
trevnhil

Postby yummymummy150 » 21 May 2008 16:35

I,am keen. Roll on July :lol:
Tricia
back in scotland after 2yrs3 months
had the time of my life.
iwill be back x
yummymummy150

Postby trevnhil » 21 May 2008 16:48

:lol: Tricia said...... "I am keen. Roll on July"..... :lol: :shock: :shock:

Yeah...... Roll on July :wink:

Regards. Trev.. :lol:
trevnhil

Postby djs » 22 May 2008 18:59

Trev,
What time do you usually take the pictures on Friday? It would be nice to meet you. :D
djs

Postby larsson07h » 22 May 2008 19:53

looking forward to tomorrows pics - last set before we land on saturday night

won't have time to see anything then as will be straight down to zorros but will venture down earlyish on sunday

might see you next friday trev - you're doing a grand job
Andy , Chrissy and Caitlin
Keo by night Oek in the morning
larsson07h

Postby trevnhil » 22 May 2008 23:11

Hi DJS. I will be down tomorrow lunchtime, but I am not sure when. Sorry if anyone is waiting for me and misses me. I have other places to visit as well.

Best wishes. Trev..
trevnhil

Postby Antow » 23 May 2008 01:05

This is a very popular topic and so useful for travellers to Paphos. I came across this site after trying various information pages and learning nothing from them. The Paphos Council don't seem to be forthcoming in their info either.
The photos have been superb and the the news up dates informative.

Keep up the good work!
Antow

Postby djs » 23 May 2008 09:36

Antow wrote:This is a very popular topic and so useful for travellers to Paphos. I came across this site after trying various information pages and learning nothing from them.
The photos have been superb and the the news up dates informative.

Keep up the good work!

I too agree with the above. As the apartment we stay at is on the sea front it was important to find out exactly what was happening here.

I don't know if it has been mentioned before, but the building they are building around the back of the Porto Paphos is a municiple toilet!!
So on offer there is a side sea view, a front view or a toilet view!
djs

Postby trevnhil » 23 May 2008 15:21

Good afternoon all. here I am again, and what DJS has said about the toilet block is to me a bit of new information.

I have been and taken some more new pics today. Many shops now have the new framework above their forecourts. One shop that I have a pic of have changed the standard tiles for what looks like a better grade.

You can see that the alley way down the side of the Captains Table is still in a bad state, along with the premises to the LHS. I have been told that there is a drain to go underground here and it has yet to be started.

The Kiosk near the Harbour end is getting better and better each week. But as I think back, it is a lot of weeks that they have been working on it.
This may give us all an idea how long the extensions will take to finish on the promenade.

The last two poorer quality pics were taken on Tuesday evening.

Re the lighting. I was told today that although they are not the old lights that have been installed, they are not the ones which were planned. Hopefully they will be changed later on in the year

I hope you enjoy the pictures. I am sorry that there are no great dramatic changes.

Best wishes. Trev..
trevnhil

Postby welderette » 23 May 2008 15:31

Hi
Looking at all your fantastic pictures Trevor makes me miss Paphos even more!
We have been home from our holiday a little over a month now, and seems like forever! :cry:

Keep up the good work.
Take care,
Janet x
welderette

Postby Milly » 23 May 2008 15:58

Hi Trev

Great pics as usual, especially the fountain one, didn't know they let you out at night :wink:

Cheers

Milly
When two people keep agreeing, one of them isn't thinking - Oscar Wilde
Milly

Postby trevnhil » 23 May 2008 16:40

Hi Milly.

Do you know,I thought i could trust you to NOT make fun of Trev... :roll: :wink:

I get out at night........occasionally. :lol:

Night Night. Milly. :wink:
trevnhil

Postby yummymummy150 » 23 May 2008 16:57

What a mess still at Captins veiw, that is the internet cafe we use.
seems like still lots going on looking forward to seeing it in July.
Tricia
back in scotland after 2yrs3 months
had the time of my life.
iwill be back x
yummymummy150

Postby discopants » 23 May 2008 18:31

Good Evening Trev and everyone,
Thanks for the pics again Trev. Am I right in thinking that pics 2,3 and 12 are of the new municipal bathing rooms ?
If so, they look very similar to the Ta Mnavia bar referred to in the very first post on this thread, not much difference at all if my memory serves me right.
Keep up the sterling work Trev. By the way are you claiming mileage from Jim ? :wink:

Gary
So close yet so far away
discopants

Postby Kazzy » 23 May 2008 18:44

Trev

Great pics as usual. still seems that there is a fair bit of work to be done. Any sign of life at the Frozen Yoghurt shop?

Yours hopefully!
Karen
Kazzy

Postby Delilah » 23 May 2008 20:41

Hi all,

We're not coming out to Cyprus this year, so the next time we get a chance to visit things will look very different to us.

Browsing through the pics Trev starts a lot of wishful thinking and to us watching the progress from here in the UK, the seafront looks fabulous. The evening pic of the fountain reminds us of all those balmy nights wandering around. I notice it must be pretty warm already as there's a lot of shorts, sun hats and tee shirts about :smt004.

Looking forward to seeing all the changes in 2009 :(

Keep up the good work, its been great to watch whats going on every week.

Regards
Delilah & Cal

You can't scare me, I have children.
Delilah

Postby trevnhil » 23 May 2008 21:05

Hi Gary. I think you are probably right. I have always thought that it would be a combination of changing rooms and a cafe. And NO, I'm no on a mileage allowance. He won't even pay for the films. :lol:

Karen. I remember you asking about the yoghurt shop before. I must admit that I have not seen one........But, I do not really know where it is / was. Let me know and I will see if I can find it. :D

Best wishes. Trev..
Last edited by trevnhil on 24 May 2008 08:20, edited 1 time in total.
trevnhil

PreviousNext

Return to Harbour construction work 2008