New Chinese restaurant.

Private only recommendation's to bar, restaurants and taverna's no business's adverts please and no hyperlinks, use PM's or Emails for those, thank you..

Moderator: Admin

New Chinese restaurant.

Postby Admin » 01 Sep 2016 12:38

New Chinese restaurant the Ancient City, it looks open, anyone been in to try?
Admin CyprusLiving
Admin
Site Admin

New Chinese restaurant.

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: New Chinese restaurant.

Postby Boom Boom » 01 Sep 2016 12:53

Where is it?
Boom Boom

Postby Austin 7 » 01 Sep 2016 13:18

On the opposite side of the dual carriageway to AlphaMega but not quite opposite (a bit further down towards Debenhams roundabout).
Austin 7

Postby Jim » 09 Sep 2016 12:43

Dropped into the "Ancient City Chinese Restaurant" opens next Thursday 15th Sept 2016 contacts are these..

Lunch/Dinner/take aways.

Reservations are on 26000888.

Address is 12 Demokratias Avenue Paphos 8028

Looking nice inside, no menu as yet..

Jim
Site Admin

Postby kazanddave » 17 Sep 2016 12:22

Just wondering if anyone has tried it yet?
Thanks
Dave
kazanddave

Postby francie1 » 24 Sep 2016 06:52

We are in Cyprus for 2 weeks and decided to visit this restaurant last night, BIG mistake.
Only open for 1 week and it shows.
My main dish arrived eventually and we the had to wait for about 3-4 minutes for the next main.
Then the third arrived but still no rice or noodles.
By the time the accompaniments arrived my food was cold and the sauce had set like jelly.
None of the 3 of us was impressed by the food and the speed that it was coming out of the kitchen was a disaster.
I tried to explain this to the girl who was serving and who was trying very hard to make things better.
She said that telling her wouldn't help because no one would listen to her.
Then the owner appeared and I said I should talk to him but it turns out that he doesn't have any English.
So we paid the bill and left, very dissatisfied.
I would recommend waiting for some time before trying this place to allow the kitchen to settle down and improve.
We certainly won't be in any rush to return.
Because it was obvious that we weren't happy with the meal they gave us complimentary ice cream which was the star
of the show.
francie1

Postby kazanddave » 24 Sep 2016 08:28

The prices are quite reasonable. The food that we ordered was very good. The starters are plentiful. Not everything on the menu is available yet, especially duck dishes, apparently they are waiting for the Peking ducks to arrive from China.
The service is good and the decor/furniture is authentic and very nice. The pandas outside are a bit OTT but we will be going again. :)
Dave
kazanddave

Postby Jim » 24 Sep 2016 09:23

Thank you Dave and francie1...

Two very varying post's both well appreciated, it is a new venture no doubt things will change.. or improve one week really is no time to judge I feel.

again cheers..
Jim
Site Admin

Postby reesy » 24 Sep 2016 22:43

Friends of ours walked out..waited 40 minutes for starters, after finishing and waiting for main course the waiter told them the duck and chicken dishes they ordered were not now available, would they like to choose something else! Paid for the drinks and left the restaurant.
reesy

Postby Maramike » 25 Sep 2016 16:06

They will have to up their game pretty quick. There is surely not a huge customer base for Chinese food in Paphos and they are competing against several well established, good quality, and better located restaurants. I am not sure that 'being new' is a good enough excuse either. A good and experienced team should be able to hit the ground running like a well oiled machine, and the sort of issues reported here sound more like lack of competance and poor customer care.
I am not that experienced with Chinese food but the comment about getting the Peking duck from China sounds strange. Is duck not available in Cyprus, or does the whole dish arrive from there ready prepared? It sounds like a joke where customers in a pizza restaurant are told they have to wait for them to arrive from Naples!
I will leave it quite a while before risking it.
Maramike

Postby kazanddave » 25 Sep 2016 17:57

When we have been to other Chinese restaurants in Paphos their Peking duck looks and tastes more like Char sui pork.
We used to go to Chinese markets in the UK, they used to sell Peking duck from China. They would be pre cooked and then you would cook them at home again to totally dry them out and then get the pancakes, Hoi sin sauce etc.
So I could believe their excuse, but only time will tell.
Dave
kazanddave

Postby kazanddave » 17 Oct 2016 07:46

We had Peking duck last night, it was ok but I have had better. The other food was good especially the garlic spinach.
The only criticism I have is it is very bright, there are too may lights. Maybe when they get their lecky bill they may turn a few off.
Dave
kazanddave

Postby Happy in Cyprus » 24 Dec 2016 02:04

Went there last night for a meal. I'm not an expert on Chinese food so I am not in a position to contrast and compare with other Chinese restaurants in town, nor say how authentic the cuisine was. However, a superb meal in every respect. Excellent starters and mains, attentive service, desserts which wowed, quality Lavazza coffee (instead of damned Nescafe), a really nice liqueur each on the house and a bill which was far less than we anticipated. Loved the decor and the ambience, through it was quiet, being pre-Christmas. The Cypriot waiter was great with the kids too. All in all, a very pleasant dining experience. The waiter did explain that they need to get more Chinese staff for the kitchen, but are having a problem doing so because of visa issues with Immigration.

Would we go back? A very definite yes. One of the better places we have dined at.
Happy in Cyprus

Return to Restaurant & Bar recommendations.