Over 70 Driving Licence Medical Certificate

Motoring questions, best buys, importing exporting, all things motors.

Moderator: Admin

Postby kansas » 09 Jul 2016 09:58

I have to renew my Cypriot Driving Licence now every 3 years as I'm over 70. I've got the form TOM153 from the Citizens Advice office and have been told to get it completed and signed by a doctor and then return it to them. They will then take a photo and issue a paper licence on the spot. The plastic one will apparently take about a fortnight and I can either collect it from DOT or pay to have it posted.

Does anyone know if Dr Nicos at the General can/will complete and sign the form, or do I have to follow another route, in which could someone explain please.

Many thanks
kansas

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Over 70 Driving Licence Medical Certificate

Postby Maramike » 09 Jul 2016 10:39

Any doctor should be able to do this. My wife is exchanging her UK licence for a Cyprus one immediately prior to her 70th.
A doctor at St Georges Clinic dealt with the form for €20.
On changing from UK to Cyprus licence timing seems to be critical. My wife will be 70 on Monday, the 11th. We went to the Road Transport Department on Friday the 3rd with all the paperwork. The guy entered everything on the computer and took photos. Come back Monday he said and go to the front desk with the stamped form. After queuing for 40 minutes we we told 'you need to come back tomorrow'! We duly returned to following day and after queuing again were told (by the same lady) you must come back on the 12th! I explained that by then the UK licence will have expired. We will see what happens then.
Maramike

Postby loobyloo » 09 Jul 2016 12:07

I got mine a couple of weeks ago. I took the medical form to a private clinic and had it signed off there. You can go to the General - any doctor can fill it in for you but it is easier to go private for this. I took everything to the Centre on Mesogi Avenue on the Friday as my birthday was the following Monday. I had everything sorted and a photo taken then went back to the front desk to get my temporary license. No way!! I had to go back on the Tuesday - I think they are busy doing tests on a Monday. Went back on the Tuesday and was given a temporary licence. They texted me to say my licence was ready to be collected within a week. (I am registered with the DOT online)
It was all reasonably painless :)

Sue
I don't want folks to say 'what a sweet old lady'. I want them to say - what the h***s she up to now!
loobyloo

Postby cactuslil » 09 Jul 2016 16:11

I thought you could apply for the license a few weeks before your 70th but it seems this isn't the case so is it just a few days before or actually after the event?
cactuslil

Postby kansas » 09 Jul 2016 16:26

Hi

Thanks for the input, but I'm a bit confused (probably my age!)

Can you go to either the Citizens Advice office and get it dealt with, and/or the Department of Road Transport, when you're 70+ ?

My other half went to the Citizens Advice office when his UK licence expired and got his Cypriot licence. Everything was processed there, but he's not yet 70.

Thanks
kansas

Postby Maramike » 09 Jul 2016 16:38

The Citizens Centre can renew a Cyprus licence, but only the Road Transport Dept can exchange a UK one.
Maramike

Postby loobyloo » 09 Jul 2016 16:45

Once you reach 70 you have to go to the Dep. of Transport to renew your license. They will not do it before your birthday as I said in my previous post. The paperwork was processed but I had to go back on the Tuesday with the forms and hand them in at the reception (My birthday was on the Monday) You can get the forms authorised and your photo taken before your birthday but they will not issue you with the temporary licence until your actual birthday or as in my case - the day after your birthday :roll:

I think that changing your license to a Cypriot one if you are under 70 can be done at the Citizens Advice Centre

Sue
I don't want folks to say 'what a sweet old lady'. I want them to say - what the h***s she up to now!
loobyloo

Postby darrow » 09 Jul 2016 16:47

I had to renew mine earlier this year. I am 70 at the end of the year and my licence expires then. i believe you cannot go the day before your 70th. it has to be on the day or, the following work day. MOH is over 70 and went to the general €3 for doctor upstairs, who stamps the form and an eye test €6 at eye clinic. this can be done in advance, then go to road transport or citizens centre, they will ask you to read number plate, take photo, and issue a cover note until your card licence is ready, about 2-3 weeks later. i also believe people over 75 have to have yearly checks once their current 3 year licence expires.
darrow

Postby trevnhil » 09 Jul 2016 18:56

We could have a problem the as a 70th birthday is in the middle of a holiday away :shock:

Trev..
trevnhil

Re: Over 70 Driving Licence Medical Certific

Postby kili1 » 09 Jul 2016 19:40

Hi Trev,
I had that problem on my 70th! I simply told the woman on the counter at the D.O.T, that I Was catching a flight to the UK that afternoon and I must have my drivng license now as I had arranged to hire a car. Of course I had my form correctly filled in, plus a photo with me.
To my relief she gave me a paper pink one there and then.

Dee
kili1

Postby trevnhil » 09 Jul 2016 19:44

I never though of telling them a new licence was needed to hire a car.... I may well try that and take flight details

Trev..
trevnhil

Postby bugsy » 10 Jul 2016 04:57

My husband had to renew his licence last year as he was 70. We had the medical certificate signed by our doctor and then took it to the citizens advice office on Butcher Boy road. We also took photographs with us although they do take them there. This was 2 weeks before his birthday as we were on holiday on that day. Everything was completed there and he was given a temporary A4 paper licence and told to go to collect his new licence in 2 weeks from the department of transport. No charge as he was 70. We duly collected it on our return from holiday and he now has the new credit card size licence rather than the pink paper one!
bugsy

Postby trevnhil » 10 Jul 2016 06:33

I was quite surprised at you post Bugsy. I was under the impression that you had to apply for the licence when you were 70 at the Department of transport. This was certainly my experience.
Can I ask was he changing from a UK licence or had he already got a Cypriot one..

Trev..
trevnhil

Postby bugsy » 10 Jul 2016 08:38

Hi Trev
No he had the pink paper Cypriot licence. Exchanged UK one some years ago. Have to say the staff at the CA were helpful and efficient. The A4 temp paper licence he was given until he picked up his new one would not, I think, have been accepted if you were trying to hire a car. We certainly went before his birthday as we were in Malta on that day. Hope this is helpful.
Joan
bugsy

Postby trevnhil » 10 Jul 2016 09:00

Thanks Joan. The rules a different if you already have a Cypriot licence when you reach 70. You can RENEW that at the citizens centre.
But if you are changing from a UK licence to a Cypriot one at 70 because the UK one expires, I believe you have to use the Dept of Transport offices.

Trev..
trevnhil

Postby Dusty » 10 Jul 2016 17:01

Pity you changed your licences to Cypriot, I've just had to renew mine in the UK, no medical or doctor's note required, just fill the form in on the internet and include your passport number and National Insurance number and it's posted to you within 2 weeks completely free of charge. So the UK does have a few benefits.
Dusty

Postby trevnhil » 10 Jul 2016 17:26

Of course the UK has benefits.
But if you live in Cyprus and Your UK licences expires, then legally you need to apply for a Cypriot one.

Trev..
trevnhil

Postby Party-Jane.cy » 11 Jul 2016 15:23

Dusty wrote:Pity you changed your licences to Cypriot, I've just had to renew mine in the UK, no medical or doctor's note required, just fill the form in on the internet and include your passport number and National Insurance number and it's posted to you within 2 weeks completely free of charge. So the UK does have a few benefits.

I'm all for the Cypriot system. In UK how many people do you think admit to certain health problems when all they have to do is tick a box saying yes or no. A brief medical and eye test over 70 makes a lot of sense and probably avoids a lot of unnecessary accidents.
Party-Jane.cy

Postby Molly » 11 Jul 2016 18:56

Has anyone got the email address please of the Citizens Advice Centre, Pafos ?
Molly
Molly

Postby Memory man » 11 Jul 2016 19:21

ImageImage

Manners maketh man.
Memory man

Postby Molly » 11 Jul 2016 19:32

Thank you MM but that one keeps bouncing back. :(.
Molly
Molly

Postby Memory man » 11 Jul 2016 19:44

ImageImage

Manners maketh man.
Memory man

Postby Molly » 11 Jul 2016 20:17

Thank you MM. :)
Molly
Molly

Postby darrow » 26 Nov 2016 09:28

for anyone still confused, here was my experience. i downloaded both the eye test form and renewal for driving licence from MINISTRY OF TRANSPORT gov site under: forms. i filled in what i could with the help of google translate. i am not 70 for a few more days. i took the eye test form to the general, went to register, paid €6 for eye test and €3 for Dr on second floor to stamp it.you do not need your hospital file. i waited about 5 mins for the eye test, the nurse did it, not the doctor. they cover both eyes individually, and you read from only one eye at a time, then a colour card test. a few minutes this was signed by the eye doctor. i then went upstairs to get it stamped, straight in. you get 3 years until 75, then 2 years licence, after that , yearly she told me. i then went to Citizen's bureau and got the forms checked, signed etc and was given my licence back. i will collect my new licence after my birthday, which should be ready in a few days. you can choose whether to collect at citizens or road transport office. it is dated to expire, the day before my birthday in 3 years. about 5 mins in there. no refusal or telling to come back later, so that seems the way to do it! :-c
darrow

Postby trevnhil » 26 Nov 2016 09:33

You were quite fortunate that everything went well for you, well done ....

Trev..
trevnhil

Postby Austin 7 » 26 Nov 2016 11:53

I did mine through Gwenny - cheap at the price. Medical form completed by DrMala. No eye test needed, only asked to read a number plate out of window at licencing office. Dead easy!
Austin 7

Postby trevnhil » 26 Nov 2016 13:48

It is easy to do yourself, but both my wife and myself have used Dr Mala for the medical.

Trev..
trevnhil

Postby kili1 » 26 Nov 2016 17:34

I also used Dr Mala. As she is my doctor, it was all very straight forward. She signed my medical/eye test form while I was present. I did go to the Dept of Transport last time to fill out the application for my new license. It will need to be renewed this year before my June birthday, this time I will probably go to the citizen's advice place instead. I find them easier to deal with as they are much more helpful than the dragon at the dept of transport who I saw last time!

Dee
kili1

Postby trevnhil » 26 Nov 2016 19:28

I can only agree with all that you say about using the citizens centre.. When I was 70 I took all the forms duly filled in to the lady at the transport department. I went 3 weeks before my 70th birthday, and I was directed to a room off the back corridor. I had to do some photo copying myself and when all was passed as correct, I went back to see the lady on the front desk.
She duly issued me with a card licence with my photo stapled to it.. This licence was for THREE WEEKS.
No one had bothered to say, "come back in 3 weeks and we can issue you with a 3 year licence"..
So after the three weeks was up I had to do it all again. Grrr

Trev..
trevnhil

Postby clive of payia » 26 Nov 2016 20:18

Did the legislation regarding the two year medical for over 75's come into force? I know it was talked about? Much confusion over this.
clive of payia

Postby trevnhil » 26 Nov 2016 21:38

Like you Clive I heard about it But I don't think it has been made a law... yet.

Trev..
trevnhil

Postby jeba » 02 Dec 2016 10:58

I´m holding a German driver´s license which will never expire and doesn´t come with a requirement for medical checkups, regardless of age. Would I still be subjected to a medical checkup to keep it valid in Cyprus once I´ll be hitting age 70?
jeba

Postby trevnhil » 02 Dec 2016 11:01

If I were you I would call into the Citizens centre and ask there.

In fact I would check there that a German licence OK after 70
http://cyprusdriving.net/valid-exchange ... -licences/

Trev..
trevnhil

Postby jeba » 03 Dec 2016 10:45

Thanks Trevnhill, your link already answered my question:
Drivers can drive with a current valid:

EU driving licence – until it expires.

As my license will only expire once I kick the bucket I´m ok.
jeba

Postby propforward » 12 Dec 2016 10:26

My wife's 70th is between Xmas and New year, asked at the Transport centre she was told that she could renew the day before and the license would run for 12 months from the date of renewal, not her birthday.
propforward

Postby darrow » 12 Dec 2016 19:01

clive of payia wrote:Did the legislation regarding the two year medical for over 75's come into force? I know it was talked about? Much confusion over this.

Clive, read my post dated 26 Nov. The doctor told me 70-73, 3 years, 73-75, 2 years, thereafter yearly, been the law for a couple of years but, if you have a valid license this will kick in when you next renew.
darrow

Return to Motoring Section