Satellite Internet .....any good ?

Digby's Internet problems and advice, regarding all aspects of life on the Internet..

Moderator: holitec

Postby Stu&Gill » 12 Dec 2016 17:54

Evening all

Shortly to move from our short term let in Peyia where we have Cyta Internet and a Mag 250 box

Our long term in Kissonerga has Satellite internet which I have no experience of and didn't even realise it existed. It is teamed with a box that just allows you to view Freeview channels only. Currently disconnected

Happy to purchase a Mag 254 and pay a subscription but am worried about signing up to satellite Internet rather than a landline based system

Do any of you have experience of the satellite internet?

I have googled it and it doesn't really come out well in the reviews

Supplier is Blue Net not that the supplier should make any difference

Any info gratefully accepted

Stuart
Stu&Gill

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Satellite Internet .....any good ?

Postby holitec » 12 Dec 2016 18:01

Hi,

BlueNet are not satellite internet providers, but wireless. There is a world of difference between the two systems.

You could always just pay for a month and see how it goes. We are currently offering a mag254 for €99 including a month premium channels, but why not just take your 250 with you, it should work fine if it worked with CYTA.

Regards

Digby
holitec
Own Section Moderator

Postby Stu&Gill » 12 Dec 2016 18:11

Thanks Digby

Should make it clear all the kit other than the TV's is the landlords, so I am starting from scratch

Not wishing to infringe any forum rules perhaps you would pm me as interested in your offer

No further on as no idea either what wireless internet is!

Stuart
Stu&Gill

Postby WilliamMorris » 12 Dec 2016 18:39

We are using bluenet and they are fine. Not as good as a landline though. The max download speed is 8 mbps.

They install a small dish that is pointed towards their transmitter, a bit like using a mobile. Installation cost 99euros.

We use it with Triotechs box.

If you can get a landline installed then I would recommend that.
WilliamMorris

Postby olly » 13 Dec 2016 08:38

I think your "satellite " is actually wireless. We have wireless internet as CYTA line is not connected , the signal is all over the place . I would go with CYTA if you have the choice , more reliable , faster and good service according to my near neighbour who is connected to CYTA and pays a similar monthly fee.
olly

Postby J B » 13 Dec 2016 09:16

Does this thread help you?

viewtopic.php?f=78&t=64575
J B
J B

Postby Stu&Gill » 13 Dec 2016 19:20

Yes it does thanks
Not sure why previous tenants went with wireless rather than Cyta
It now seem the basic lines are installed to the house , just not connected
I am going to Cyta tomorrow to get prices and a timescale....hope it can be in place by Xmas

I did email Blue Net first thing this morning ....but like every business I contact here no response!.......they would not last 5 mins in the UK ...BUT!...........this is Cyprus!
Stu&Gill

Postby Rigsby » 16 Dec 2016 17:23

Stu&Gill wrote:
I did email Blue Net first thing this morning ....but like every business I contact here no response!.......they would not last 5 mins in the UK ...BUT!...........this is Cyprus!

Not so sure about that. Blue Net are very quick at installation next day usually, in your case the mini dish may already be in place, so maybe only an hour to connect you. I suggest you drop in to the Blue Net office by the Kings Mall and get it sorted. You will find Blue Net cheaper than CYTA with no phone line or contract. Maybe you will find 4 or 6 Meg is enough for TV watching.
Rigsby

Postby holitec » 16 Dec 2016 20:08

It is not the first time there has been no response from them, it is a common issue. Quick to install (more profit!), slow for other things. We have had many customers move over for that issue alone. Why go to the office when an email should suffice?, after all some customers do not have access to a vehicle.

Digby
holitec
Own Section Moderator

Postby J B » 16 Dec 2016 23:49

holitec wrote:It is not the first time there has been no response from them, it is a common issue. Quick to install (more profit!), slow for other things. We have had many customers move over for that issue alone. Why go to the office when an email should suffice?, after all some customers do not have access to a vehicle.

Not sure whether to bite my tongue or not ... :roll:

Digby, in your e mail to me on 22/11 you were going to look into why my support ticket was not responded to at the beginning of November ................
J B
J B

Return to Internet problems and advice