Documents Required For Sale By Assignment

Advice and help on property matters, ask your questions here.

Moderator: Nigel-Howarth

Postby Maramike » 16 Dec 2016 18:46

Hi Nigel,

I hope you can shed some light on a request for documents from my Lawyer.

Next week I am completing the sale of my property by Assignment. My Lawyer has asked for various documents, most of which are to be expected and can easily provided. I have however been asked for copies of the previous passports for my wife and I. I questioned this and asked if she meant current passports. I have just received an e mail from her saying that she did indeed mean previous passports and said I must try and find copies!

Our passports were issued over six years ago. The previous ones were either retained by the British High Commission in Nicosia, where our passports were issued, or were destroyed as redundant. I have never been asked for copies of a previous passport, and have never contemplated even keeping copies. I can think of no reason why these should be required at this stage. If it is for some strange reason a requirement then we have a real problem!

Have you ever come across this situation before?

Many thanks,

Mike
Maramike

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Documents Required For Sale By Assignment

Postby trevnhil » 16 Dec 2016 18:52

Mike I have no idea how long you have been here. But as you know most banks need a copy of your passport before opening and account.
Is it possible that the bank will have a photo copy of your original passport in their files.
It may be worth asking and getting copies from there..

Trev..
trevnhil

Postby Maramike » 16 Dec 2016 19:03

trevnhil wrote:Mike I have no idea how long you have been here. But as you know most banks need a copy of your passport before opening and account.
Is it possible that the bank will have a photo copy of your original passport in their files.
It may be worth asking and getting copies from there..
Trev..

Thanks for that suggestion Trev.

We have been here nearly 15 years. We no longer bank at the bank we were with at the time, and it was the Laiki, so probably a dead end there!

Our Lawyer probably had a copy but we are now with a different lawyer. The new one has the file of papers so if there was a copy of the old passport she should have seen it. I would not want to go back to the original Lawyer.

I am mystified why any authority would require a passport six years after it is expired and cancelled, and I wonder how many people keep old passports or even copies of them.
Maramike

Postby Nigel-Howarth » 16 Dec 2016 19:47

Hi Mike

The BHC doesn't keep passports - they advise you to destroy your old passport once it's been renewed.

Your current passport should be fine. Many people have sold their property via an assignment contract and have not been asked for their old passport.

There was a problem in the Paphos Land Registry - they were refusing to transfer properties unless the purchaser could provide their obsolete passport - see http://www.news.cyprus-property-buyers. ... id=0028261. This problem was resolved.

Regards
Nigel Howarth
Free independent information for Cyprus property buyers.
Ask your property questions on my Cyprus Property Forum.
Read the latest news at Cyprus Property News.
Nigel-Howarth
Own Section Moderator

Postby Maramike » 16 Dec 2016 22:25

Many thanks Nigel.
I hope it is a smple matter of my Lawyer being unawhere that the problem has been resolved.
Maramike

Postby Maramike » 19 Dec 2016 16:31

Hi Nigel,

It appears that I may have a major problem!

I am due to attend the Paphos Land Registry on Thursday to effect the transfer of my property to the new owners.

I have however been told again by my Lawyer that the Land Registry are insisting that our old passports are required, despite the comments you made above. In fact she told me that a client was refused without the old passport only a matter of weeks ago. The bottom line is that the old passports do not exist and there is no possibility of producing them or copies of them. As such if the Land Registry do not relent on their 'procedure', not only will the sale fall down but I will never, ever, be able to sell or even acquire title to the property.

Have you any information to support your comment that the problem has been resolved?
Maramike

Return to Nigel Howarth's Property Advice