How to get an accurate car valuation ?

Motoring questions, best buys, importing exporting, all things motors.

Moderator: Admin

Postby TC » 23 Nov 2014 18:51

Hi all,

We want to sell our car quickly, we are only in Cyprus for a few days to do this in a weeks time. We're not sure of the best way to go about it. We really don't know what it's value is to sell it privately or what we can expect to get if we took it to a dealer. We have looked at prices on various car dealers and websites but I think that's at trade prices.

We just want a fair price for it so does anyone know the best way to find out its value or perhaps a good dealer to go to ?

Many thanks for any info.
Teresa
TC

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: How to get an accurate car valuation ?

Postby Jim B » 24 Nov 2014 05:43

Hi TC

What many people do is take the car to a Dealer and they will price it. Many Dealers will put the vehicle on their forecourt and take a percentage of the sale value if they manage to sell the car for you. I think ANW in Tremithousa does this, I did this with one of our cars recently at a car sales in Chlorakas. There are places that will buy for cash but you will take a big hit pricewise.

Jim
JimB
Jim B

Postby TC » 24 Nov 2014 09:30

Hi Jim,

We are hoping to sell it in the few days when we are over. We are aware that selling it quickly we are not going to get top dollar. It has more than paid for itself by us/family/friends not having to hire cars. We are just hoping to get a reasonable price but we're totally oblivious to its value. You just can't compare to UK prices.

Many thanks.
Teresa
TC

Postby J B » 24 Nov 2014 09:49

Jim B wrote:What many people do is take the car to a Dealer and they will price it. Many Dealers will put the vehicle on their forecourt and take a percentage of the sale value if they manage to sell the car for you. I think ANW in Tremithousa does this,

Indeed ANW will do this for you.

What we did ...
Used our car for the duration of our holiday
Took it to ANW on our last day - signed all the papers ready to 'deal'
They displayed it for us to sell, although it didn't get 'front row' with it being 18 years old!!!!
When we had agreed a reasonable offer, the transfer was completed and the money was paid into our bank.

It was totally hassle free - whether we could have received a better price is debatable (?) but if you tell a dealer that you need to sell within a week, *maybe* they will take advantage of you!
J B
J B

Postby TC » 24 Nov 2014 10:09

Hi JB,

You're probably right, I won't mention it and thanks for telling me your experience.
Teresa
TC

Postby Jim » 25 Nov 2014 07:10

Terasa how did you buy it? we do know do we not, try that method again, as mentioned above most car dealer will give you a buying price then you can adjust accordingly..
Jim
Site Admin

Postby TC » 25 Nov 2014 09:34

Morning Jim

Yes we do know don't we ;) We would have advertised it here on CL already if we knew its value, it would be worth giving it a try first. Any idea ? :D
Teresa
TC

Postby trevnhil » 25 Nov 2014 13:11

You could look at similar or the same car at the online copy of Autotrader Cyprus

Trev..
trevnhil

Postby TC » 25 Nov 2014 18:34

Hi Trev,

I did check the online Auto Trader for the same make,model and year but felt the prices were quite high, more like trade prices, perhaps they are the approx value but I would be suprised.

I am going to follow up a suggestion from a PM I've received.

A big thank you to you all.
Teresa
TC

Postby Admin » 28 Nov 2014 14:46

The UK is a lot less expensive for pre owned motors, they are more expensive on Cyprus..
Admin CyprusLiving
Admin
Site Admin

Return to Motoring Section